Starlink / App (Dish Management) Access / Peplink

[Background]
If you connect the Starlink dish to Peplink router WAN ports in DHCP/NAT mode, with an automatic DNS, and would like to use the management app (as LAN client) to manage the dish via IP: 192.168.100.1.

We have a new feature introduced in the special firmware (8.1.1s118) to allow you to do so.
Topology:
[Starlink Dish (Bridge Mode)] === [WAN | Peplink | LAN] === [LAN Client Device]

[Special Firmware]
Here are the download links:

Download Link Product Hardware Revision
Download MAX BR1 HW2-3
MAX BR1 IP67 HW1
MAX BR1 M2M HW1-3
MAX BR1 Mini HW1-2
MAX BR1 Mini Core HW1
MAX BR1 Pro HW2,4-6
MAX BR1 Slim HW1
MAX BR2 HW2
MAX Transit Mini HW1
SpeedFusion Engine HW1-2
UBR LTE HW1-2
Download MAX BR1 IP55 HW2-3
MAX BR1 MK2 HW1-3
MAX BR2 IP55 HW2-3
MAX Hotspot HW1
Surf SOHO MK3 HW1
Download Balance 310X HW1-3
Balance 380X HW1
Balance 580X HW1
Balance Two HW1
EPX HW1
MAX HD2 MBX HW1-4
MAX HD4 MBX HW1-4
PDX HW1-2
SDX HW1-2
SDX Pro HW1-2
Download Balance 20X HW1-2
MAX BR1 IP55 HW4
Download MAX 700 HW1-2
MAX BR1 Pro HW3
MAX BR2 HW3
MAX HD2 HW1-4
MAX HD2 IP67 HW1
Download MAX On-The-Go HW2
Download Balance 210 HW4-5
Balance 30 LTE HW3
Balance 30 Pro HW1
Balance 310 HW4
Balance One HW1-3
Balance One Core HW1
MAX 700 HW3-4
MAX BR1 ENT HW1
MAX HD1 Dome HW1
MAX HD2 HW5-6
MAX HD2 Dome HW1
MAX HD2 IP67 HW2-4
MAX HD2 Mini HW1-3
MAX HD2 with MediaFast HW1-3
MAX HD4 HW1-5
MAX HD4 IP67 HW1
MAX HD4 with MediaFast HW1-3
MAX Transit HW1-3
MAX Transit Duo HW1-3
MediaFast 200 HW1,3
SpeedFusion Engine Cam HW1
Download Balance 1350 HW2
Balance 2500 HW1
Balance 305 HW2
Balance 380 HW6
Balance 580 HW2-3
Balance 710 HW3
MediaFast 500 HW1-2
MediaFast 750 HW1
Download Balance 20 HW1-7
Balance 30 HW2-6
Balance 30 LTE HW1-2
Balance 50 HW1-3
Download Balance 210 HW2-3
Balance 310 HW2-3
Download Surf SOHO HW2

[Recommended Configuration Tasks]

1. Go to the WAN Connection Settings, check the “Connection Method” = “DHCP”, click on the (?) beside the “Hostname (Optional)”, then click on the “here” to proceed.

2. Enter the “Management IP Address”, which can be range from 192.168.100.2 - .254 (eg. 192.168.100.100), leave the subnet mask as it is. Then save the settings and click the Apply Changes to activate the feature.

You should able to access the Starlink Dish via 192.168.100.1.

[Relevant threads]

1. Starlink and Peplink Balance
  2. Starlink app fix
15 Likes

Works great on my old Balance 50. (Side note, no obstructions! That goofy mast mount on the roof that the wife hates proved itself.)

Thanks for this fix.

1 Like

Update: I initially tried to update via wifi using a Mac, and was unsuccessful, twice. I later download the firmware to a Windows machine connected to the router via ethernet and was successful.

Have tried to update my Balance 30 LTE using the appropriate download link (the one above the group that includes the B30 LTE , HW3) and I keep getting a message that the firmware image is invalid. It downloads, and then uploads to the router, but when it try to use it, that message appears. I tried it first without unzipping the file (twice, no good) and then I tried unzipping the file first, but my Mac’s utility says it’s an unrecognized format. So, unable to proceed. Any ideas?

Does not work for Balance One, see ticket # 21030919, PLEASE HELP, thanks

Presume this functionality could be used for other things as well as starlink (E.g getting to the interface of a DSL/Cable modem.etc)

@sbi108

I checked the management option for my Balance One device (LAN as WAN enabled) and I’m able to enable the management IP address option. Just to confirm do you follow the steps as given above ?

1 Like

@Madcodger

Please open a ticket for support team to check if you confirmed your device is B30 LTE HW3 and failed to use the firmware.

https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new/public

1 Like

Hi Sitloongs,

Oops, I did not follow the instructions properly the first time. After your email below I tried again and followed the instructions carefully. Everything works. Please forgive my mistake and thank you for helping me!

Please close this ticket and thank the Peplink staff for adding this feature.

best to all, Steve

3 Likes

This last post to Sitloongs references the Starlink beta firmware fix on a Balance One. It does work!

3 Likes

Absolutely a GAME changer. Thank you!!

I do have one question on this, now that we have run the static IP. Will the Starlink DIsh now upgrade its firmware automatically without plugging the provided router back in? Or will we have to manually disconnect from Peplink Balance 20, run the Starlink router for a bit for those upgrades?

1 Like

I still need to try the new firmware install from another computer on my Balance 30 LTE before filing that support ticket (been busy) but can report that many Starlink owners on the Reddit forum don’t use the Starlink router at all, and report that their dishes still update. Hope that helps.

1 Like

@WeiMing thanks for this revision! I was able to connect to the management GUI of a non-Starlink LTE-modem in DHCP mode. Could the Management IP config also be enabled this feature for Static IP mode as well? I have a DSL modem with static IP and would love to be able to access its management GUI as well. Thanks again!

1 Like

@jameythompson, that sounds reasonable. Let me bring this to the team to review and share the outcome. :wink:

2 Likes

I could also use that feature, I have DSL modems to manage with static IP WAN interface assignments.
Currently I have to deploy an additional Juniper SRX to be able to manage the modem.

I see there is a new 8.1.2 beta firmware. Is this feature (ability to static route out to WAN) built into that firmware?

Can this be accessible through RWA in the same way as the Wifi as Wan gateway ip?

1 Like

@Madcodger, tentatively, the feature (DHCP & Static WAN) is targeted on firmware 8.2.0.

2 Likes

Excellent! Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/msfy4k/dhcp_option_121_no_more_need_to_add_a_static/

Looks like they are going to push the management routes over option 121 if the DHCP client supports/requests routes via 121 instead of 3

3 Likes