Connecting to Viasat modem

I am trying to connect my peplink balance one to my RG1100 Viasat router. If I use ethernet cable for WAN, the peplink says the device health check fails. If I plug in USB cables, the peplink does not see the router at all. Is there a way to connect via WIFI WAN?

I hope this is a very easy question.

Welcome to the forum.
Plug the viasat into your WAN port using ethernet, then disable the healthcheck on the Peplink device WAN. Then try and access the internet and see what happens.

Healthchecks fail when there is no connectivity, or when the specific healthcheck used is incompatible with the connected service. When a WAN is marked as red/down by a healthcheck no traffic flows over it so you can’t see the useful messages that might otherwise be presented (ie realign the dish or add more data allowance).

1 Like

I took a look in the manual for the RG1100

the default network (IP) is 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the peplink.

As Martin indicated… when you are debugging connectivity issues, you should disable healthchecks until base connectivity is confirmed…

but in this case, just switch the Peplink to 192.168.2.1 and all other associated settings (DHCP ranges).

Once you do that and confirm connectiity, I would also put the RG1100 into bridge mode to reduce the number of NAT translations required. There are also some other features you can configure to still manage the RG1100 once in bridge mode.

2 Likes

Martin,

Thanks for the advice.

I tried disabling healthcheck, and tried to access the internet via web browser. I got the message

No internet
Try:

• Checking the network cables, modem, and router
  • Reconnecting to Wi-Fi
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

Paul,

I think I did what you suggested to the PEPLINK box, and it fixed the problem! Thanks.

Can you please read description of what I did below, and let me know if this is what you intended?

Details:
I logged into the PEPLINK box and went to
Network->LAN->Network Settings->LAN

Then I clicked on “Untagged LAN”
and under “IP Settings” I changed IP Address to 192.168.2.1

Then I went down to “DHCP Server” and changed IP Range to 192.168.2.10 - 192.168.2.250

Did I do what you intended? It seems to work.

Friday, June 18, 2021, 2:07:22 PM, you wrote:

Paul_Mossip
June 18
I took a look in the manual for the RG1100
the default network (IP) is 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the peplink.
As Martin indicated… when you are debugging connectivity issues, you should disable healthchecks until base connectivity is confirmed…
but in this case, just switch the Peplink to 192.168.2.1 and all other associated settings (DHCP ranges).
Once you do that and confirm connectiity, I would also put the RG1100 into bridge mode to reduce the number of NAT translations required. There are also some other features you can configure to still manage the RG1100 once in bridge mode.

1 Like

Yes, that was what needed to be changed. the peplink couldn’t handle having the same network on the LAN and WAN sides…

Now I would go and configure bridge mode on the RG1100 and use the “management IP address” under the WAN config to still be able to connect to the RG1100 at 192.168.1.1.

This is documented here:

1 Like

Paul,

Thanks for the confirmation and additional advice.

Question: what additional benefits do I get from making the additional changes you are recommending?