Firmware 8.1.2 Now in GA

@WiFiHiFi

Can you please open a ticket for us to further check on this ? Please ATTN the ticket to sitloongs :wink:

https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new/public

1 Like

What device type…and what AP(s)?

i opened a ticket i have no cellular connectivity at all this is very frustating

This upgrade did not work out too well, at least in one instance:
Background:

An HD2 IP67 LTEA is located in a remote area, connected only by cellular (Verizon). It is connected to a B380 hub (SpeedFusion) and handles local servers, devices and Pepwave access points…

History & problem:

The device has been working flawlessly with FW 8.1.1.

An upgrade to FW 8.1.2 GA seemed to succeed, but some hours after the upgrade we observed that the unit no longer responded to WebUI logins (be it from WAN, SF or LAN), nor to UI access from InControl, nor did it report to InControl, nor did it respond to speed fusion speed tests from the B380 hub (the error there being “Error: Cannot connect to remote server at port 5000”) .

The response to a connection to the login URL (via a public IP address, the speedfusion connection or from a server on the LAN) is “System error” after the URL is directed from the base URL (https://router.xxx.com) to the usual landing path (https://router.xxx.com/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi).

The unit continues to route correctly, and remote access via SF to device-local servers continues to function.

We have no direct, physical access to the device, so a local reboot or similar attempts to kick it back alive are not available to us.

With IC2 connection and WebUI connections both inoperative, we cannot get a diagnostic report nor turn on RA.

I can provide sample screenshots demonstrating things that work (the core functionality of routing and speedfusion connectivity) and those that don’t (IC2, WebUI via LAN, WAN, SF).

Suggestions?

Ticket submitted: 21050466

1 Like

I have configured my Peplink Balance One Router via System Security settings to listen on HTTPS only using a specific Web Admin Port (e.g. 9000).

When I am using the Router’s URL only with HTTP in the browser (http://IP.IP.IP.IP:9000 instead of https://IP.IP.IP.IP:9000), I am receiving the following error message:

400 Bad Request

The plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port
nginx

I’d like to suggest to fix this by auto forwarding to HTTPs protocol.

@ckirch : mainly it was done for Starlink app dish management as described here
It allows to access external network using configured IP address instead of the main WAN IP.
It is not related to the Incontrol servers as the default gateway is being used for that matter.

2 Likes

I read that item and it raised more questions than it answered. To be fair, that item starts in the middle of the topic, not the beginning.
Is this feature is for Starlink only?
If not, what problem is it solving?

Hi. In the release notes I see this:

I think this is the feature for which you are looking.

It is indeed for Starlink. Possibly could apply to other gateway manufacturers who don’t use standard IP of 192.168.100.1 but have a custom mobile app that allows you to manage the device.

My understanding of it.

I installed 8.1.2 and it does not seem to be stable. I get random reboots and my wifi has dropped to nothing. I have a balance one. How do find 8.1.1 to downgrade?

@Wayne_Goldstein, I am curious whether the problem will happen to the previous firmware version. You may reboot your Balance One to the previous firmware at System > Reboot.

1 Like

@ckirch, that’s been considered and the improvement has been registered in the wishlist :wink: We should see it in the next major release :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I found it by searching for archive. I uploaded the previous version and all issues went away. I suggest that there is a problem with the 8.1.2

Tried to upgrade last night and what a disaster. Half my Wifi devices never reconnected. Another 1/4 were flapping up and down. I know this because I monitor my smart home devices with Nagios and I could see them going up and down. Tried to reboot, adjust broadcast settings, to no avail.

I rolled back and the 1/4 that were flapping came back, but the other half are still down… I dread having to go around reconnecting all these devices again.

I’m curious what happened… did the firmware upgrade somehow change the SSIDs (like the MAC associated with them) and that’s why the devices couldn’t reconnect is because technically it changed despite the name and keys being the same?

Can someone please look into this?

@mamc
What devices are involved?

1 Like

Almost all the devices having issues are smarthome products like light switches/simmers, smart plugs, wifi cameras, etc.

All my computers, game systems, servers, etc - seem to connect just fine.

Not sure if it’s due to the fact that the smarthome products use cheap 2.4Ghz wifi adapters and the issues are related only to 2.4Ghz band? Or if it’s something unique about how those devices connect.

I actually see them trying to connect in the “Wireless Clients” page, but it’s just not happening.

None of my 5Ghz devices seem to have any issues connecting. I’m very perplexed.

Thanks, which pepwave device are you using as the AP?
What’s the signal strength of the devices?
Any other Ap’s using the same channel in the area?

The signal strength is between 40-70. I’m using the Pepwave Soho Mk3.

I’m in a suburban area and do have some competing APs but nothing terrible.

I wasn’t having any issues until the upgrade and then bam all these devices offline.

I’m working with support and they said they see some corruption in the diagnostic report but what type I do not know.

My biggest fear is that I will factory reset the device and then my backed up configuration files will have been what was corrupted either from a while back or from due to the upgrade.

I have 5 different SSIDs and 10 vlans, 50ish DNS records and DHCP reservations, and a lot of firewall rules. If I had to start from scratch it would be incredibly demoralizing.

It would be great to know how many others are having a similar issue. One person in this thread already reported all his IoT devices going offline and no reconnecting. It would be assuring to know that a factory reset (as suggested by support) + restoration of config file helped resolve his issue.

My issues are with the same machine and are similar to yours. A factory reset and configuration restore did not help my issues, and neither did a factory reset and manual restore of each setting.

1 Like

Surf SOHO MK3 being used as an AP.