See Balance One Core Underperforming Throughput for the backstory here
There seems to be a serious bug in Oubound Policy rules
- If you are using firmware 8.0.1 or higher, and
- you have an Outbound Policy rule
- and that rule uses Destination as Domain Name
- then your download speed is roughly cut in half.
- the slowdown is evident even if the rule is disabled - suggesting the CPU is wasting time evaluating rules when they are not even in use.
Things which don’t help:
- the actual domain name used doesn’t seem to matter.
- disabling the rule does not help (see above)
- setting the Source address to Any or IP doens’t help.
- having DNS caching on or off
- Don’t use a domain name, instead use IP address as the Destination.
It would be great if this could get fixed in time for the 8.1 release