Need More SpeedFusion Cloud? Additional Usage Plans

Two weeks ago, we offered Free SpeedFusion and Free SpeedFusion Cloud for 90 days to help everyone who’s stuck at home. Since then, we’ve received an excellent response: lots of people are telling us how SpeedFusion is helping them stay connected as they work from home.

They’re now able to work from areas with limited coverage, saving long commutes and reducing risk exposure. They can now connect to headquarters without worrying about getting locked out of their files due to a broken WAN.

Actually, we’ve been getting requests to support more intensive and longer-term usage. Working together with our partners, we’ve prepared the following usage plans:

If you would like to take advantage of the free SpeedFusion Cloud offer, simply enter your serial number on the link below. If you’re looking for SpeedFusion Cloud as a long-term solution, contact your local Peplink partner to get started!

Go to the Online Store

Enter Serial Numbers

2 Likes

Just a quick question on how this is measured. I looked at my wife’s work laptop usage for the month and it’s 50gb down and 30gb up totaling 80gb. Is the cloud usage measured in download 50gb or total usage 80gb? Probably won’t affect my decision, just want to be clear with my expectations :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is measured in total usage so it would be the up and down combined. Thanks

1 Like

Hello,

Is there a way to choose the SF servers closest to us?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hallo, very quick question: has the device to be under warranty (or warranty extension) in order to leverage on this service? Thanks

@Riccardo74, it doesn’t need to. Check out the FAQ here.

Does the device have to be in warranty or have an InControl subscription?
This offer is for all customers, the device does not need warranty or InControl subscription.

1 Like

I’m guessing the top level plan (2.5TB / 1 year)… that 2.5 is for the entire year? Will this be the extent of the plans, or will there be something in the range of 2.5TB/mo?

1 Like

" 2.5 is for the entire year?"
I understand that you can just keep on buying 2.5tb data blocks as you consume them. There are no limits to how much purchased data you can consume.

2 Likes

Help me understand – SpeedFusion Cloud when used on a Peplink device with 2 WANs can provide “unbreakable” connection without connection to another Peplink device? So this solves the problem of people wanting more than simple load balancing or basic failover?

Does the SpeedFusion Cloud improve the “hot failover” feature that is enabled by default on Max Transit Mini devices with Primecare (1 year licenses)? Or does the hot failover on the Max Transit Mini not really provide hot failover unless it is connected to another Peplink endpoint with Speedfusion?

I like the Peplink offerings, but it’s rather confusing to decipher what is needed and the differences between the different products (FusionHub, SpeedFusion Cloud, and SpeedFusion through two Peplink endpoints) when trying to accomplish this unbreakable connection feature.

This is the case. The BR1 mini would need a remote device (or ‘peer’) to connect to using Speedfusion hot failover (packet level failover). Without the remote peer the BR1 mini can only do normal failover (session level).

Fusionhub - self hosted virtual appliance that acts as a Speedfusion endpoint in the cloud
SpeedFusion Cloud - Peplink’s hosted Service (that uses Fusionhubs hosted globally).
SpeedFusion Between Endpoints - This is normally to provide unbreakable connectivity between two locations (like a broadcast video camera and a recording studio). Although a side benefit is that (if you let them), a remote device can connect through a central device and access the internet too (so unbreakable internet).

Some people need unbreakable internet connectivity, and others need unbreakable network connectivity between two locations and this is where the confusion often lies.

2 Likes

Martin,

Thanks. I appreciate you responding. Just to clarify further -

1. in my case of remote employees needing unbreakable internet and on Max Transit Mini devices using their home internet WAN and cellular as failover WAN (smoothing not bonded connection), we’d need to either use the new Speedfusion Cloud discussed here or the self-hosted Fusionhub?

2. I can see the pricing for Speed fusion Cloud. Does all data that goes through the Speedfusion cloud count toward the data used? For us, that would be Zoom, VoIP, and a couple websites worth of traffic. Employees that use 100gb in zoom traffic a month on their primary home wan that is directed by outbound policy to the Speedfusion Cloud would count as 100gb used?

3. Would our cell connection use for hot failover with WAN smoothing for unvbreakable internet using Speedfusion Cloud increase substantially?

4. Would using the Fusionhub in AWS be a substantial savings over the Speedfusion hub? I can see us using 1TB or more monthly for data we’d like protected. That’s $40 for Speedfusion Cloud.

5. is it possible to get a static IP for Speedfusion Cloud? We have some SaaS limited by IP address.

Yes if you want truly unbreakable connectivity (ie voip or video call doesn’t crash out when the wired WAN fails), rather than session failover (call fails or stalls for a moment until it can be rebuilt on a new WAN link).

Yes it would.

If using WAN smoothing (where you are replicating all traffic across the WAN and the cellular links all the time) cellular data usage would match the wired WAN usage for the traffic is technique is applied to - eg 100GB. If using hot-failover (where traffic is sent over the wired WAN only and then redirected at a packet level over cellular if the wired WAN fails) you’d only need to cover cellulat data costs for traffic that is sent over the cellular when the wired WAN has failed - if the wired WAN does not fail the only usage is keep alives and healthcheck traffic - not user data.

The whole point of speedfusion cloud is to make this an easy turnkey experience. It can be cheaper to host Fusionhub appliances yourself - or even to get partners to do it for you, but there is no quicker or easier way to do it than Speedfusion Cloud.

No I don’t think so. Others can confirm I’m sure - and I’m just as certain we will see lots of enhancements to Speedfusion Cloud in the near future.

If you need a fixed IP or want to do inbound routing you’d likely be best hosting your own Fusionhub at this moment in time. Or getting a partner to do that for you.

1 Like
1 Like

Martin – You are a wealth of information and clarification about these products. I appreciate your responses as they have answered questions I’ve been struggling with for a while.

I’m testing the cloud now and have two more questions on this topic:

1. Do we need to use the SpeedFusion Cloud - SMOOTHED WAN feature (double the data on each link), or will hot failover with two WANs on SpeedFusion Cloud work just as well for keeping VoIP and Zoom sessions working without a hiccup? We don’t have unlimited data buckets for our cell connections, and so I’m trying to find the best match for our needs and the budget for cell usage.

2. I see we can buy as large as 2.5TB buckets of SpeedFusion cloud. Do these buckets apply across all of our devices, or are they individual buckets that only apply to each device? For us, managing, 15+ different buckets for each device will be administratively complicated that being able to buy 15-20TB for all devices to share and renew every 6-12 months.

3. Is best practices with the SpeedFusion Cloud to connect to at least 2 of the clouds and then failover if needed? I am only connected to SFO right now as I was concerned about data usage on the cell connection.

No you don’t need to. Hot failover works very well, wan smoothing is better, but has a cost. If you can afford the bandwdith (as in if you have 2x as much bandwidth needed for your applications, and also as in the actual cost in the case of cellular) then use WAN smoothing - its better.

The real world user experience difference between the two depends on the application but both can deliver seamless application recovery on wan failure, however with WAN smoothing, single WAN failure can go completely unnoticed (by both you and the application you are using). With hotfailover, the active WAN has to be identified as failed by Speedfusion and this can take long enough to be noticed - it all depends on what you’re doing, how well the application copes with a potential spike in latency etc.

Not sure - I think the bandwidth buckets are per device - someone else can confirm that.

Sure. Or just fallback to direct internet access / load balancing. It depends on whether this is another suitable SF Cloud entry point nearby. You wouldn’t want to be using London Cloud and the failover to Japan of course.

@cyclops My wife has been doing a lot of MS Teams video calls from the house. WAN smoothing of course worked for failures, but was costing me double the bandwidth. I recently moved her to this solution and it’s been working great. I moved detection time to “Faster (Approx. 2 secs)” then turned off WAN smoothing, but left both WANs active (highest priority). So the effect is a bonded link using both WANs and with the 2 second detection time on a failed link, she hasn’t dropped a call yet.

At the default recommended 15 second detection time, the calls would loose audio or have 1 way audio or other odd issues. The faster detection time seems to be required for video calls to stay up.

5 Likes

Interesting approach. what outbound algorithm are you using? fastest response?

I have not changed the cutoff latency or bonding algorithms for SpeedFusion. They are left at default.

Are there any plans to introduce further cloud plans with higher throughputs? 100 Mb/s on a MAX HD4 MBX isn’t going to be enough.

For higher throughput and so more bandwidth usage you might be better speaking with a Peplink partner that can build out a custom solution for it.

1 Like