MAX-TST-DUO-LTEA | speedfusion bonding setup

Hello,
I recently purchased pepwave MAX Transit (MAX-TST-DUO-LTEA-W) with speedfusion bonding licensed installed and activated.

Is it possible to use speedfusion bonding setup from max-transit-router then direct to client(pc/laptop) ?

I need help on how to configure speedfusion bondingdsetup.

current setup: 2x SIM-A & SIM-B (different telco/ISP provider) LTE-A

goal : Bandwidth Aggregation or bandwidth bonding (for 2 SIM) for double bandwidth speed and with uninterrupted data setup (high availability for gaming and zoom meeting).

1 Like

Hi @sitchuwap,

To use the SpeedFusion bonding feature you’ll need to create a SpeedFusion tunnel to another Peplink device - I would recommend using a free FusionHub Solo licence and hosting this in the cloud.
@MartinLangmaid has provided instructions to his answer to this question > here <

I hope this helps,

Steve

2 Likes

You can trial SPeedfusion cloud for free at the moment. I would suggest that first.

2 Likes

I registered my peplink device serial number and I got the activation key. Then I went to special addons and add the key for activation but the key is already used SPeedfusion cloud

I don’t know the answer to that. Let’s ask @Michael and see if he has any idea…

1 Like

I was able to activate speedfusion cloud and thanks for that one, BUT my goal is to have a link aggregation for 2 CELLULAR modems (SIMA & SIMB) for double bandwidth speed and high availability purpose.

I think speedfusion cloud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shy_fFWnM3Y&feature=youtu.be) DOES NOT suffice my goal. please correct me if I am wrong.

My Goal : Bandwidth Aggregation or bandwidth bonding (for 2 SIM) for double bandwidth speed and with uninterrupted data (High Availability for gaming and zoom meeting).

@sitchuwap I don’t know about your particular hardware or setup, but as long as you leave off the WAN Smoothing option, then SpeedFusion absolutely bonds 2 links together at the packet level… IE packet 1 on Link A, packet 2 on Link B, packet 3 on Link A, Packet 4 on Link B, etc for double the throughput in theory. I say in theory because there’s CPU overhead, packet overhead, another end of the tunnel and lots of variables.

If you are using the SpeedFusion cloud option, there are 2 tunnels, Default and WAN Smoothing… just use default.

If you are setting up your own FusionHub, leave off this option…

Now with all that said I’ve only been able to push about 80Mbps through SpeedFusion cloud or even my own FusionHub server at Azure, versus I get 110-160Mb and 40-80Mb out of my 2 links respectively. So if I use an application that starts 2 data streams and load balance it locally with Weighted Balance Algorithm, I’m able to get 220MB of download throughput. So I wouldn’t say SpeedFusion will fix everything in your life, you’ll still have to play around with the trade offs of each solution. For my needs, I’m using outbound policy to select what goes down the tunnels versus what goes out locally.

1 Like

Hello,

I followed the guide for SpeedFusionHub setup but I am NOT able to establish the connection from my max-transit to fusionhub (hosted via google cloud) or vice versa.

The PepVPN with SpeedFusion status is only starting from max-transit and fushionhub.

the status of the devices under incontrol2 portal and I see it is a green status.

max-transit Dashboard

fushionhub appliance hosted via google cloud

inControl2 Dashboard

If all you see is ‘starting’ that typically means that the transit can not commnuicate with google cloud and do a handshake.
Did you open the ports as per: Configuring FusionHub for Google Cloud Engine

1 Like

Great! I was able to established connectivity from max-transit to FShub (hosted via google cloud).

Is it possible to have 2 services (SFhub and SFcloud) established and running at the same time without issues?

what will be your best recommendation based from “my goal” is it SFhub or SFcloud?

My Goal : Bandwidth Aggregation or bandwidth bonding (for 2 SIM) for double bandwidth speed and with uninterrupted data setup (high availability for gaming and zoom meeting).

Well done!

Yes. use outbound policy to decide how they are used by your devices / traffic.

Either. both the cloud and the fusionhub have the same features. One is not better than the other. However having your own fusionhub lets you have full control which can be nice.

My recommendation would be to set both WANs in priority 1 on the speedfusion profile then turn on Forward Error Correction (FEC) in that profile. That will be the best balance of bandwidth aggregation and resilience without knowing more about your connections. Then test and test again and tell us how you get on.

2 Likes

Thanks and Noted regarding the Priority1.

What will be happen if my FShub solo subscription is expired?
Can I Acquire FusionHub License again for free for another 1year?

What will happen if I already consume my Data usage allowance under SFCloud?
If my FScloud is expired, do I need to purchase new license for it?
how to set unlimited Data usage allowance for FScloud?

You can’t manage it using InControl2. Yes you can buy an annual subscription.

No more data will flow via the cloud

For he cloud you just buy more data.

You can’t have unlimited, but you can buy 2.5TB of data to use as a block over a year.

1 Like

For the SFhub setup, do I need to create outbound policy and set enforced connection to VPN(FShub) ?

That will work. I personally prefer to use priority for fail-over reasons… IE if my FusionHub at Azure goes down it will fail-over to T-Mobile in the example below.

1 Like

My recommendation would be to set both WANs in priority 1 on the speedfusion profile then turn on Forward Error Correction (FEC) in that profile. That will be the best balance of bandwidth aggregation and resilience without knowing more about your connections. Then test and test again and tell us how you get on.

regarding FEC , I cannot find it on my current setup, I am using fusionhub as my speedfusion.

That will work. I personally prefer to use priority for fail-over reasons… IE if my FusionHub at Azure goes down it will fail-over to T-Mobile in the example below.

Regarding your Source IP address = “192.168.1.70” is that a network device or the IP of the client?

In that example 192.168.1.70 is an Xbox on my local network / client device.

Hello Mark --I too have a Max transit and two carriers in the same device running as Priority One. Did you find out how to get the increased bandwidth you were looking for out of the single device? If so, where did you find instructions to do tis and/or what were the steps you used to make sure you were configured correctly?