Available from firmware version 8.0
Besides being able to use PPTP and L2TP with IPsec you can now also use OpenVPN for Remote User Access to your LAN.
This article describes how to configure your Peplink router and a Windows 10 client for remote User Access using OpenVPN.
Configuring your Peplink router
Log on to the web admin interface of the Peplink router.
On Balance models, navigate to Network > Remote User Access.
On MAX models, navigate to Advanced > Remote User Access.
The following menu will appear:
- Select OpenVPN
- Select the WAN interface and IP addresses where the OpenVPN server of the router should listen on.
- Enter details of the client network (LAN subnet) that the remote user is allowed to connect to.
- Enter 1 or more Username(s) and password(s) for the Remote User
- Save and Apply the Changes
The username must contain lowercase letters, numerics, underscore(_), dash(-), at sign(@), and period(.) only.
The password must be between 8 and 12 characters long.
- Navigate to Status > Device
- Download and save the OpenVPN Client Profile.
Configuring a Windows 10 client pc
Download the OpenVPN windows installer of choice from:
Run through the OpenVPN Setup Wizard and click Finish.
Open the OpenVPN config folder and paste the OpenVPN client profile file to this directory.
In Windows 10 this is by deafult located in the directory: C:\Users%username%\OpenVPN\config
Run the OpenVPN GUI desktop app from the Windows 10 start menu.
Right-click the OpenVPN tray icon in the right bottom corner of your screen and click connect.
An OpenVPN window opens showing the connection process.
Type in the password that you configured earlier to establish the Remote VPN connection.