Help with Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini LTE

Hello, I have a Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini LTE that I am trying to setup. I have one device connected to the Pepwave using ethernet cable. The Pepwave is connected to the internet using AT&T cellular network. Signal strength is showing full bars over LTE network. From the device, I can connect to the internet.

However, I am trying to setup a VPN connection so that I can use a computer to connect to the LAN of the Pepwave. I followed the steps shown here: Configure Remote User Access using OpenVPN

Trying to connect to the Pepwave’s VPN from a computer on the internet fails. The log shows connection is timing out. I went to the Pepwave’s web admin, looked under Network->WAN->WAN connection status. There is an IP address shown there. If I try to ping that IP address from my computer, the ping does not get any response. From the device that’s connected to the Pepwave via ethernet cable, I am able to ping www.google.com and get responses.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, to answer my own question, it seems I am unable to connect from outside because Cellular networks (such as AT&T) tend to place your device behind a NAT.

My current solution is to have my device that is connected to the Pepwave LAN ssh to an Amazon AWS Linux instance with reverse tunneling. Then, when I need to connect to that device, I can connected to the AWS Linux and then connect to the device on Pepwave’s LAN through the ssh tunnel.

Most cellular plans do not have static or internet routable ip addresses.
This means you can not connect inbound only outbound.
You could setup a fusionhub in aws or google then connect to it.
If the other location has a static ip you could also have a fusionhub or another peplink/pepwave on that side and also connect via speedfusion tunnels