FusionHub - Installation in Digital Ocean

Digital Ocean is one of the easiest cloud platforms to install FusionHub in. There are three basic steps:

1. From your Digital Ocean dashboard Under the Manage section choose Images and then Custom Images click on Upload Image. Choose the fusionhub.vmdk file that you downloaded here.

2. Choose More to the right of the FusionHub.vmdk listed in your images and choose Start a droplet - you may need to first make that image available in the region you want to deploy it in.

3. You don’t need to make many changes to configure the droplet, just choose a region and size that is appropriate and leave everything else at defaults. You will need to select/create an SSH key to proceed, though this is not actually used.

9 Likes

Anyone else having this issue: How to Migrate Your FusionHub Licence to a New VM - #17 by mystery ?

@mystery, I have feedback here.

1 Like

Is there an optimal distribution that I should choose?

Hi - welcome to the forum.
You don’t use a distribution, you upload the Fusionhub disk image and deploy a droplet using that instead. See the first post at the top of this thread.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the quick response! the 1st time I did selected "start a droplet " seconds after uploading the image it required me to select one. I just started over and it no longer asked me. Maybe it process the Image either way I seem to be settled. now just dealing with the SSH key on my mac being difficult. my Public key with the .pub file is only the name I gave it and is not proceeded by the /.ssh/id_rsa

There is no need for the SSH key, it is very uncommon to use SSH to administer the FusionHub.

1 Like

Hello, the instructions above say to uses the SSH key even thought is is not used. But will skip it for now.

@Travis Myself and bunch of my colleagues have/are purchasing Peplink devices to do video streaming video. I am wondering if you could do a setup/best practices with the group via a zoom meeting or webinar to is focused our purpose.

Yes, just choose that on the Digital Ocean side, but there is no need to actually use the key or install it on your local machine.

1 Like

I expect it would work fine if you also choose the one time password option. Either way, these aren’t used to access the FusionHub.

1 Like

Select ‘unknown’

I have seen some websites blocking Digital Ocean IPs. Not too mention streaming services wont work over it…

Is there an easy way to route specific website domains that are blocking Digital Ocean IPs, outside of the Speedfusion so they go through the actual WAN versus the VPN to Digital Ocean?

Is it possible to run multiple devices through the same droplet if you have a license for each devices?

Yes - so long as your FusionHub has the appropriate number of peer licenses or your devices have primecare on them, you can surely run multiple devices to a single droplet.

1 Like

Alright but this is where I am having trouble, I can’t figure out where to add an additional license to said FusionHub… If I run the wizard no dice, I figure I am just being dumb and missing something very simple along the way. But even if I manually configure I still don’t see an additional slot for another license.

You don’t. You just connect your primecare devices to the Fusionhub and they will connect - even if your Fusionhub does not have enough peer licenses, because a primecare device does not consume a hub peer license.

If you want to migrate from a lower license level fusionhub to a bigger license count you’ll need to backup the config of the current hub, destroy it, build the new one apply the license then restore the config.

1 Like

We found that some recent changes in DigitalOcean break FusionHub’s license checking mechanism.
Unfortunately, that cannot be fixed by just firmware upgrade.

If your DO VM is affected (License invalid after reboot/power-cycle), please setup a new DO VM using this VMDK image and migrate the license to the new VM by following these instructions.

Only DO platform is affected.

I have successfully installed FH on Digital Ocean. Everything seems to be working fine, but the Balance units on the field does not show “Established”, instead they state “Updating Routes…” for FH status.
PepVPN with SpeedFusion status is “Established” on the Digital Ocean FH control panel.
What would be the reason for this ?

Normally a route conflict. You need the LAN IP ranges to be different.

2 Likes