Built In Speed Test

It would be very useful if all of the Peplink products (maybe start with Max first) had the ability to run an internal speed test like the Peplink Broadband-Speed-Test V3.1 utility which is only 340kb. This would save a lot of time remoting in to a customers location to run a test on a local CPU when there are complaints of slow speed. Certainly, doing it via Web Admin would be helpful, but even better if it could be done via IC2. Even better if it could be run on individual WAN’s.

What happened to this request back in 2016?

7 Likes

You could probably do this via docker on the MediaFast products but that’s only a small portion of the deployed products.

1 Like

Any progress on this, going on two years now?

Thanks!

3 Likes

This feature would be extremely useful for us as well. We can use it to cut internet speed issues in half remotely. We would be able to see if its our network, or the carrier at that time. Do you have any kind of update on this feature?

1 Like

Need more people to respond and run it up the feature request list so please tell your friends, family and associates!

1 Like

It’s a really useful function. Being able to remotely test the bandwidth capacity of a link would help a lot in making decisions and troubleshooting

1 Like

as a System Integrator for Smart Homes and IoT Industrial. monitor the Link health its vital for our customer experience, our capabilities for remote support and the overall solution performance. Doing some remote Speedtest will enhance our capabilities and generate new revenue streams for both our company and Peplink. why? because incorporating more features and capabilities from Incontrol will give us more analytics tools to charge for incontrol annual services.

Also as I we are involved in some initiatives on Artificial Intelligence (AI) or more specific Machine Learning. Many of this technologies could help improve analytics, reactions and predictions on how to better manage links over multiple ISPs. (way beyond actual balance techniques ) but this is way more complex than just speedtest. But there is no doubt that AI will get to networking pretty fast.

I use Peplink because it is a very innovative company, and I hope to continue working together to growth our business.

Please listen to US and help us.

Thanks.

AM

Great this is now available in V8.00 Beta!

Thanks You Peplink!

6 Likes

And it works very nicely!
Just remember that it is Pep to Pep and you will be limited by the internet speed at one end so make sure you have a unit sitting on a fast connection to test to!

2 Likes

Couldn’t pep guys add this to the sys tools allowing kpnqwest or okla? I guess half of the clients here are not Pep-to-Pep…

1 Like

This Feature is great, can not wait to download and try beta to see it’s functionality.
:sunglasses:

This is great! +1 on the Okla! But good start!

No news for non Pep-to-Pep clients? Don’t know what Nix flavour is Peplink fw running on but couldn’t you just allow running scripts or grab a bash script such as this one?

In theory the PEP to PEP is a great idea but I am definitely not using one of my clients production units as a server and my office connectivity isn’t fast enough to be a good server. It would be great if there was a test unit sitting behind a fat pipe that could be securely used for a testing server or a way for us to setup an AWS “server” for this.

I’ll say it again, why not just build in the Peplink Broadband-Speed-Test utility which can utilize Apple, Google, and Microsoft servers or custom URL’s? That way you don’t need a dedicated Peplink device on the server end. This is a great utility that can’t easily be fudged to make sites like Ookla look falsely fast!

https://download.peplink.com/files/Broadband%20Speed%20Test%20v3.1.exe

Scroll down on this link to see it referenced: Combining the bandwidth of all WAN links. 3M + 3M = 6M?

You can setup a FusionHub on AWS with the Solo license. Use the same WAN Analysis “As a server”. Then you have your speedtest server via the WAN Analysis tool.

6 Likes

I never knew any of that THANKS!

1 Like

No Solo licence over here :frowning:
Any other idea?

2 Likes

Why not support a site like speedtest.com or any other URL based with an embedded lite browser? Sorry, but part of what I want to test is the Balance 2500 connection. We have a strange issue where our client units are getting vastly different speed tests with download being a fraction of what our upload speeds are through SpeedFusion.

1 Like