Balance One loses wifi connection regularly LAN no problem

@cfraleigh

Do you have WIFI scanner that can scan surrounding running WIFI channels ? Suspect that the issue can be related to WIFI interference that cause the WIFI connection intermittent issue.

1 Like

I have been keeping up with my thread since I really love this router and hated that I couldn’t get the problem resolved. Earlier this year, the issue kept getting worse so I replaced it with a cheap basic router. I really hope someone figures out what is causing these routers to lose wifi as I would love to use it again.

sitloongs, in my case I don’t have any competing wifi channels.

@clarru

Did you report back the problem to support team ?

1 Like

Stiloongs,

This problem will only effect one device out of 20 attached to the router at any given time. The rest of the connected devices continue to work fine, so this makes me think it is not likely to be as a result of interference. I only have one physical neighbor near my business, so the WiFi spectrum is relatively clean.

Clarru,

I’m planing on researching other routers and APs today, I don’t have time to deal with this. I agree, really like it otherwise, but for my business, this problem is not-tolerable.

Mike

Problem only happen for the same device ?

1 Like

If you mean does the problem only happen for one particular client, no. It affects about 5 clients that I know of, all laptops. If a laptop is not getting internet, the user can plug into a LAN connection and everything works fine. Usually it is only effecting one client at a time, sometimes two at a time. The client that is effected can change from one client to another every five to ten minutes.

@cfraleigh

Please open a support ticket for support team to check. Make sure you include the following in the support ticket so that support team can investigate the intermittent connection issue:

1. Diagnostic report when the issue happen - Possible please let support know the date & time for the issue happen.

2. MAC Address for the devices that having connection.

1 Like

sitloongs,

I will mail it to you or any of the peplink team if they can figure out what is causing the problem and fix it. It’s just in a box right now.

@clarru

Please send it here:
https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new

1 Like

@sitloongs

I’ve had a ticket open (#9040075) since April 3rd. Very, very little in the way of updates or progress. I am beyond frustrated, and I’m about to do what @clarru did and just stick it in a box.

If Peplink is not interested in or able to support me in this issue, please just let me know so I can replace my router and AP and get a working solution.

Mike

It’s becoming clear that there are several of these routers that have the same issue going on. When I had originally started the thread I opened a ticket and received support with working the problem and it did clear up some of the issue. However, it wasn’t long and the same problem started happening again with more frequency. After doing manual restarts on a daily basis to clear the issue, I gave up and bought a cheap router that did what I needed but without many of the options I really wanted.

A couple of days ago, I offered to mail my router back to them at my cost to see if they could replicate the issue from one of the affected routers and hopefully find a permanent solution. I was asked to contact and open a ticket which I did but they want me to reconnect the router up and give diagnostic report and enable remote assistance. Again, the router is staying in the box where it has been for several months. I have no interest in going through the frustration again. If someone with Peplink would like me to mail them the router so they can test and diagnosis the issue, I will mail the router to them at my cost. If the router can be fixed, I would even pay a service charge to get it back if the problem can be resolved.

clarru

1 Like

Thinking more about this. The issue with my router always started after it would lose one of the available wifi channels with one of the laptops. Once the issue was noticed from the laptop the router would start dropping the other connected clients. My problem is very similar to yours cfraleigh. Once the wifi went down, I could plug into the LAN and it would work fine. At this point, the only way to get the wifi back up was to do a manual restart.

@cfraleigh, I believe our Support Team has responded to the ticket right after your post, follow up on the packet capture arrangement.

1 Like

@clarru, we should have stated the reason why we need your help to connect the Balance One into the network as we have encounter issues that we could not be reproduced in our lab (such as your scenario) which we suspect it might be related to environmental factors or user traffic type.

Would you mind to bring up the Balance One in a test environment with few Wi-Fi clients connected for our team to look into the issue (via ticket #9040451)?

BTW, if you can power up the router, please help to load the latest 8.0.0 RC4 firmware, which we have included several enhancements.

1 Like

Ok. I will try to connect it back up tomorrow afternoon/evening in the hopes of getting this fixed. I will let you know as soon as I get it updated and online.

clarru

I’m going to connect the Balance One back up but I don’t want to upset my current network and I only have one connection from my modem. So, is my only option to use a switch to connect both routers or can I go LAN to LAN from current router to Balance One and create a new network? Currently using 192.168.1.1 so if I create new network 192.168.0.1 will you still be able to remote in?

@clarru, you can connect like this:

Wireless Latop ))) [LAN:192.168.1.1] Balance One [WAN: 192.168.2.2] —> [192.168.2.1] Router —> Internet

1 Like

I’ve tried for 2 days to get this to work but I can’t get it to work. I am going to refer to the Archer c3200 as router 1 and the Balance One as router 2. I’ve reserved an address (192.168.1.2) outside the address pool on router 1 and I can get router 2’s WAN to recognize that address and show that it’s connected to the internet once I set it up as a static ip for (192.168.1.2). The problem starts once I try to set up the LAN for router 2. Once I change router 2’s default address and subnet from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 or any other address, it crashes and I can no longer access it regardless of what address i try. At this point, I have to do a factory reset and start over.

I also have questions about what you are gong to be able to see once you remote in. For instance, once router 2 is set up and access the internet, what are you going to be looking for? I can connect a backup laptop wireless to it but I’m not going to assign any more clients to it. The problem would usually start with one of the 5ghz going down and eventually all wifi APs would crash but the LAN ports would all continue to work. The only way to get the wireless APs back up was to unplug it and restart. Accessing the router through a LAN port and doing a system reboot would NOT resolve the issue.

Anyway, if you can give me some guidance on how to configure the router’s LAN, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, it’s going back in the box.

Thanks

Caleb

I believe the Balance One is not crashed. It is due to the IP subnet of your laptop and Balance One (LAN side) is not same after you changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. You need to unplug your laptop from LAN port of Balance and reconnect it.

We need to verify the settings of Balance One and the related system log to confirm the root cause.

1 Like

From what we can see the issue I reported about a year ago still exists in FW 8.0.1. In the screen AP → Controller Status → Nearby Device only APs operating on 5GHz are visible. Those on 2.4GHz are not seen at all. (Test system: Balance One running 8.0.1 and two APs (Mini and Rugged) running 3.6.1.)

Continuing the discussion from Balance One loses wifi connection regularly LAN no problem:

1 Like