AP One AC Mini and Balance 20 - WAN connection dropping

Hi All,

As some customers reported the 2.4GHz radio failed after running for a certain period, we spent time on releasing a couple of firmware to debug the case. Another RC firmware is coming in this week, please stay tuned.

Thanks for your support and patience!

Lewis

2 Likes

Hi Lewis,

our Partner noted the same issues with AP One AC Mini and iPads. The Customer uses iPads to connect to audio controller via Wi-Fi. The iPad looses connection once a few hour and requires resetting the Wi-Fi module.

What is interesting the AV crew used their old TP-Link before and didn’t have such problems. They started using TP-Link again after reporting first problems with Peplink APs.

Some info that might be handy:

• iPads loose connection even if they are not on the move so this is not a roaming issue
  • The iPad’s IP is static
  • Signal strength is perfect - Partner checked it with a Fluke device

The Customer had previously used Cisco APs and the AV crew had faced the same issues. The problem was solved after disabling checksum on wireless connections.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Any news on the new firmware?

Hi All,

Here are the RC8 and corresponding AP Controller Firmware pack 1158.

Updates:

1. Fix potential 2.4GHz transmission stuck after running for a certain period

Thanks,
Lewis

1 Like

I installed RC8 today. I will report any issues.

1 Like

Hi all,

We have announced 3.6.0 RC8 as G.A. firmware for our 802.11ac capable AP One.
The firmware and release note are available in our website and InControl2.

Thanks,
Lewis

1 Like

Will this also be available as a firmware pack within the Balance One Core AP management Toolbox?

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is available now. However, if your are using 7.1.0 Balance firmware, there is a bug that the toolbox failed to check firmware pack update. The fix will be available in the coming 7.1.1.

Meanwhile, you can download the firmware pack here. It includes 3.6.0RC8 for 802.11ac AP and 3.5.4 for those 802.11n only AP.
If you already have couple firmware packs on your Balance One, you probably need to remove an unused firmware pack before uploading the new one.

Thanks,
Lewis

2 Likes

Thought we were all good, but apparently have not heard the last of this. We have a combination of dozen AP One Mini, and one AP One Rugged. I upgraded all of them to 1158. Since installing 1158, the Rugged has lots of problems. The radios seem to go off randomly throughout the day. I don’t think the unit actually reboots, but the radios go off. Without changing anything the radios come back, but then minutes later go off.

I downgraded the Rugged back to 1156. It is instantly fine. As far as I am concerned 1156 is ok on the Rugged, we were not having problems with that. I’m not getting any complaints with the AP One MIni using 1158.

@Don_Ferrario, I will PM you to obtain some details for our investigation.

1 Like

I’ve been running 1158 since May 28th and everything seems to be good. Devices are staying connected and I have not had any interruptions. I’m running 2 Mini’s and 2 Enterprise APs. I will continue to update.

I think I’m getting the same problem as the original poster. Currently using a Balance One Core with an AP One AC Mini. When I surf webpages on an iOS device on WiFi, pages would load fine for a while, and then randomly a page I click on will stall on loading and never finish loading. If I disconnect and reconnect the WiFi at the iOS device, the page would finish loading normally. I’ve been getting this problem with both firmware 3.5.4 and 3.6.0 for the AC Mini. Hope the Peplink team can investigate further and solve the problem.

@ahl1809, can I confirm you are using 3.6.0-build1805? If so, please PM the serial number and turn on Remote Assistance. We need to know the how many IOS devices are affected and the MAC address of the affected devices.

1 Like

We’ve been using these Peplink devices for close to three years now.
The routers (Balance 380, MF500, MF750) have been amazing for us the whole time and we wouldn’t hesitate to get it again if needed.

However, ever since we “upgraded” our WAP to Peplink a year ago (5x AP One mini, 5x AP One Enterprise) to take advantage of the integration/control offered by the router, we’ve had nothing but constant disconnection issues as described in this post. Each time a firmware update rolls around, I hope that I’ll hear the end of it, yet it keeps popping back up time and time again.

At this point and time, I’m done with hoping and so have our users. I love what it can do when it works, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn’t too often.

As some other users have mentioned in this post previously, eliminating the AP One mini from their environment has helped resolve their issue. I’m willing to trade in our minis for enterprise units and cover the difference in cost to see if resolves our issue once and for all. But if the problem persists, we’ll have to seriously contemplate overhauling our wireless infrastructure from using peplink devices.

1 Like

@Jolee
We’ll be doing two new installations within the next two weeks or so. We’ll be using a different brand for both – very reluctantly. We’re real Peplink fans but we can’t handle the heat we’re getting from clients & customers. - Rick

1 Like

Jolee, I have a dozen AP One Mini. I share your pain over the last year or longer, but all my Mini are running just fine with 1158. Have you tried that?

@TK_Liew Do you want the serial number and Remote Assistance turned on for the Balance One Core or the AP One AC Mini?

The AC Mini is using firmware 3.6.0 build 1805.

@ahl1809, yes, for both devices together with the affected iOS devices MAC address too.

1 Like

@WeiMing @TK_Liew How long should I wait while your team performs the investigation until I can turn off Remote Assistance? Thank you.

@ahl1809, we have PM our feedback. Please help to follow up there.

1 Like