How I got firmware 8.1.0 working on my Surf Soho MK IIi :
First I logged directly into the router (I.e. not using InControl to eliminate a variable / layer of complexity) and rolled the firmware back to 8.0.2.
Contacted 5gstore, who filed a ticket on my behalf ( #57445206 ) in hopes of being able to fix my situation without having to factory reset and spend an entire day reconfiguring all of my settings, firewall rules, etc (really wish you could do those via ssh or imported csv file but I understand it’s way way more router capabilities for $200 spent 3 years ago than anything else out there, that’s for sure)
Did a number of combinations of manually uploaded FW upgrades & testing as they suggested using both factory defaults and my previous config file.
In the end the most time consuming solution has been reliable, and I’ve been running FW 8.1.0 for the last couple of months w/o any problems, thankfully:
(All of these steps were taken while being directly logged into the router and not using InControl…I used InControl to upgrade to FW 8 the first time so I wanted to avoid using it for firmware upgrades this time)…
- print to PDFs every single router settings page
- manually upload and reinstall 7.x.x firmware
- power cycle
- factory reset & keep factory default config settings
- power cycle
- manually upload and reinstall 8.1.0 firmware
- power cycle
- go through the long process of manually rebuilding my config using the PDFs I saved, but this time, because I already had the max number of VLANS in use (16), 4 WiFi SSID’s, a trunk port connected to a managed switch, intrusion detection enabled, InControl enabled and doing whatever it does in the background to make it work with the platform, and a LOT of firewall rules (outgoing & internal) on top of all that:
I realized that while it’s really great that you’ve added so many more options over the years to use instead of making them exclusively available on more expensive models, I imagine as a company this is a double-edged sword by making so many options available to the SoHo because while customers would like to be able to use as many of the features that you offer all at once, the router’s particular processor and memory naturally must be proportional to the low cost of the unit.
So therefore I can reasonably expect to be able to use only so many features at once.
Consequently this time I did NOT try to also use the content blocking, content prioritization, some of the newer firewall features found under the AP section, using an external logging server, and I also largely reduced the firewall logging overall (that last one was a little harder to give up, personally)
- back up config and power cycle
Everything has been just as stable as it was under FW 7.x.x, I’m happy to say.
No hard feelings, of course.
No company has a 100% perfect development & deployment history, and the last 3 years of service I’ve gotten from Peplink at an incredibly low cost has been highly reliable otherwise.
This was your biggest firmware development effort and deployment since everything around the world went crazy with COVID.
And I know as much as anyone that how much of an exhausting disruptor it has been to suddenly move to doing highly coordinated software development, testing, and deployment, + infrastructure dev work, etc from home, and that greatly increased the degree of complexity logistically, which inevitably raised the probability of errors in a major release like firmware 8 is.
I’m impressed you’ve been able to get squeeze as much additional functionality into the SoHo as you have and continue to do.
Keep up the good work!