Should the Max BR1 mini be able to receive verizon SMS text message?

I ran into a problem today – to login to verizon to manage verizon account, verizon offers only the option to send a temporary code to my hotspot plan number.
Under SMS Toolkit, SIM B, SMS from dropdown, it says no SMS. Have refreshed and tried resending several times.

I haven’t tried this since applying firmware 8.0.0. I know it did work in the past.

Are there any known issues receiving a text message from verizon on a verizon hotspot SIM in the Max BR1 mini now?

From BR1 mini
Advanced tab → SIM Toolkit
SIM Status WAN Connection: Cellular SIM Card 2
Tool: SMS
SMS: No SMS

Refresh
No SMS

Modem firmware was updated in April/May 2019 and shows latest firmware 02.30.01.01

Additional troubleshooting attempts:

1.) Changed to different verizon SIM that can receive text messages successfully in verizon jetpack (tested successfully just now in same location. Test text message comes through when SIM is in jetpack.) placed in BR1 mini to test. BR1 mini says “No SMS” after 5 minutes still with this different SIM.

2.) Changed verizon sim from slot 2 to slot 1. Rebooted. BR1 mini still says “No SMS” after 5 minutes.

3.) Called Verizon and tech support rep said text messages are enabled / not blocked for SIM that I was trying with first.

4.) Rebooted device to firmware 7.1.2 (I believe… the latest version before 8.0.0… I’ve already booted back to 8.0.0 now) and no change from firmware 8.0.0. SMS toolkit still says “No SMS” instead of listing or receiving SMS text messages sent to it.

Is there somewhere that you have to enable the BR1 mini to receive text messages?

Any other ideas on how to get the text messages to be received and show up under SMS toolkit from devices web GUI?

A problem is that the Verizon SIM I have for the BR1 mini I chose to easily fit the BR1 mini. Unfortunately it is the larger size and won’t fit in my jetpack or other device that uses a micro size SIM. So I can’t put the BR1 SIM in an alternate device I have in order to get the verizon text message.

Verizon has the only option when I try and login to my account there to send a 1 time auth code to the SMS number of the hotspot plan to “Confirm that it’s me”. So without being able to read the SMS on the BR1, I’m not able to login to verizon or manage my verizon account which I only have the BR1 device on.

Similar issue. ATT SIM receives Text just fine in Pepwave Transit Duo, latest firmware. Verizon will only work in a VZ hotspot.
Did you discover anything else about this?

No, I had left my verizon hotspot at another location, so I actually had to purchase another verizon hotspot on ebay, put the verizon sim in it, got the text message so I could access my verizion account, and then I put the sim back in the BR1. I keep the verizon hotspot around in case I need to get a text message to that verizon sim for now.

Hello @Stooks & @aquablue,
Here is a snapshot from one of our Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini units.

This unit is on FW 8.0.2 at the time of this snapshot, this is where we go to read text messages (of which this router currently has none).

You can changed the InControl2 URL from https://planet.ic.peplink.com/ra/remote/ABCD-1234-ABCD/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi?mode=config&option=simtool to https://192.168.59.1/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi?mode=config&option=simtool if your are accessing locally with factory default settings.

It may just be a Verizon thing with the text messages as we’ve not had any issues with any SIMs we have tested ourselves yet.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

I only use the local interface on the Transit Duo. No messages from VZ in the past 8 months. Yet I put the sim in the Hotspot and it get txts right away.

I’ve recently been trying to figure this out as well. I’ve got about 20 Max BR1 (varying models) with Verizon sim cards in them. Was hoping to use the API to send a message if a server was down. When I go to the Sim Toolkit, I either get “Bad Gateway” or “No SMS”. Would be great if these worked on Verizon 100%.

@Russ_McGinley, may I know all the BR1 (20 units) failed to read the SMS? May I know the all BR1 are running 8.0.2? Have you tested the SIM card with your phone whether the SMS can be read?

1 Like

When I go to Advanced, SIM Toolkit, then select SMS for the Tool, I get the following:
MAX-BR1-LTE-US running 8.0.2 build 3612 says “No SMS”
MAX-BR1-ENT-LTE-US running 8.0.2 build 4407 says “No SIM Status” when clicking on SIM Toolkit
MAX-BR1-MK2-LTEA-W running 8.0.2 build 1480 says “No SMS”
MAX-BR1-LTEA-W running 8.0.2 build 3612 says “No SMS”

All have Verizon SIM cards in them. SMS is not blocked on these lines.

@Russ_McGinley, have you test the Verizon SIM card with your phone? Are you able to get the SMS from your phone?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve tested two of them and can send/receive SMS messages on my phone.

@Russ_McGinley, please help to open ticket and attention it to me. Please put in the working SIM card into the BR1 and turn on Remote Assistance for me to take a closer look.

Thanks.

1 Like

@Russ_McGinley, sorry for the confusion here but we do not support the reading of SMS text messages.

The SIM Toolkit is more or less designed for pre-paid SIM cards on International carriers. Verizon will not even activate a pre-paid SIM card on our devices or any commercial router for that matter.

Thanks

1 Like

Does this mean that SMS Control Commands do not work with Verizon sims, and can we still send SMS messages via the API?

First, I’ll say the Pepwave devices have worked great for me, best cellular devices I’ve had by far.

However, as a customer I do feel a bit confused by the fact that the product data sheets say “Compatible with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-mobile” and have those logos.

The SMS toolkit isn’t a critical feature, so I can live with it not working, but I wanted to respond because the Pepwave hardware is great and it would be awful for me if pepwave stops working with major US carriers. Is there anything we can do as peplink customers to help get expanded rather than reduced carrier support for pepwave hardware?

@Russ_McGinley, have you tried sending a SMS via the API?

Can you go in to more detail on your use case for SMS?

Thanks

1 Like