Sending and receiving SMS messages programmatically

Hi everyone

Is it possible to send SMS messages programmatically with the MAX BR1 Pepwave router from a computer plugged into the router (e.g through AT commands or directly from the command line on the router)?

Thanks for your help!

3 Likes

Sending SMS Command to control/retrieve information to/from MAX routers is not available at the moment.

Do you mind to share more details on your use case?

1 Like

I have exactly the same request as athurf. I have a PC connected to the router. I want to send a custom SMS message from my PC to any phone number outside. Does the Peplink router provide an AT-Command for doing this, like its usual for GSM-Modules inside the PC ?

@cgqinno and @arthurf

Recently, we received a lot of request regarding to sending SMS via MAX devices. After discussed with Engineering team, they agreed to include the feature targeted for firmware version 7.2.0.

IOT/PC/others —Via Device Level API—> MAX Device —> Send SMS

1 Like

@sitloongs –
Balance series also? :grinning:

1 Like

@Rick-DC, yes, it should apply to Balance models with embedded modem too. :wink:

4 Likes

Hello @sitloongs & @WeiMing,
We have clients very interested in this that have SCADA Systems & HMI (Human Machine Interface) where they are needing to replace their existing SMS alerts and notification system on the systems with new routers capable of the same (we email one customer recently to @Dan)

The Pepwave MAX range tick all almost all of the requirements for the clients with one noticeable exception for SMS via RS232 &/or API, now that Firmware 7.1.1 is GA, what is the timeline of receiving a version of 7.2.0 with the ability to send SMS (& receive responses) for people to provision with?

In Australia people previously used (…) with thousands of these units used here and we expect around the world, (…) have now ceased development of the range perusing interests in different fields with no suitable replacement for all of those customers looking to move forward & acquire updated systems, this is a small part of why we came over to Peplink, one of the few things missing in the MAX range is the SMS integration feature, something we would at least expect in an M2M router, there is a real need for Peplink to finish what (…) lost interest in, SMS alters and SMS notifications may be old school, though they still work extremely well.
(…) is a not just one, though several companies and brands we know of, no point adverting there names here.

PS, We would be very happy for Pelink to code into the firmware a SMS rate limit to prevent people abusing the Pepwave MAX equipment for SMS spamming if that is something Peplink is concerned about, offering a licence key upgrade for MSPs & Enterprises that can demonstrate a genuine need for higher messaging rates. We are aware the SMS spamming was an concern for some of (…).

Note: This thread has some overlaps with another forum feature request:

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Hi Marcus,

Could you summarize the needed SMS functionality your customers may need? We could review it with the SW team right after that. Please also note that each carrier restricts SMS features of their API, so you may also need to review the available commands that e.g. Telstra is allowing on their end.

InControl2 also supports third party apps like Twilio (SMS API | Twilio) for various SMS-related tasks. Could you provide some feedback re. your experience with them vs the above approach? tks.

1 Like

Hello Dan,
The clients want to be able to maintain in there HMI (& SCADA) systems a list of users with mobile numbers (rather than distribution lists held within the router), these users will receive HMI (& SCADA) generated alerts, the HMI (& SCADA) systems do not necessarily need to receive a response back from the receiver of the SMS, though an approved list for receiving responses and how these are action can be looked after by the HMI (& SCADA) systems. It is also important that the SMS messages are not stored within either the router or the SIM except for what is need to buffer between the gateway & the HMI (SCADA) systems.

Currently several clients do this is via RS232 on another brand of router that also works as and SMS Gateway that has been discontinued, we are attempting find suitable upgrades for clients, clients wish to have a combined SMS Gateway & router in the one solution. Being able to address the SMS section of the cellular interface via RS232 or web-hooks through an API will be very appealing to the clients. As these system (often for security reasons) can not have access to the internet so using a cloud based SMS gateway is not an option.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think we have some beta firmware with SMS capability that you can test with. We’d love to have your feedback on those. Please contact the support team for a trial.

2 Likes

GReetings - I too need an SMS solution on my PepWave BR1 mini, via RS232, send and receive. We have an autistic family member that does not always answer his phone or txt msgs. I have a scrolling LED display that prints messages located above his bedroom window. I “had” a web based app hosted on Raspberry Pi that extracted a textual message and sent it to the LED display, and, sent to a RSSI feed for text to speech file which was downloaded to the Pi and played on the Aux input of a small radio. He could read the message and hear it as well. It was also hooked to the alarm system to send e-mails to my verizon phone. Since I upgraded the MBR900 to the Max BR1 mini, It required 4g and that was the end of a static IP Address that I enjoyed with the 3g USB card… I prefer to have SMS capability in the PepWave which will make things so much easier. I would pay extra for that feature. As it is now, I may have to cough up $500 for a dedicated IP address from Verizon. As Midowling states, there is a plethora of uses for SMS feature built into the router. Please consider me a candidate for the beta test. I’ve just upgraded firmware to 7.1.1. Thank you for your consideration. p.s. If the beta SW were to “brick” the Pepwave, I would not hold Peplink responsible and would purchase a new one. SMS via RS232 is important to my wife and I to know we are getting messages through to her son while we are away from the house.

1 Like

Hello, Is it possible to have access to the beta firmware with the SMS capabilities for testing purpose?
Thanks
Emil

@salibemil

Please open a support ticket here. We can work on the test firmware using the support ticket.

Please ATTN the ticket to sitloongs

1 Like

@xsand.be Please have a look.

1 Like

Hi,

as I’ve seen here

the SMS Feature should be usable in 7.2.0, now 7.1.2 is the current FW and 8.0 is in beta. Will SMS send be possible in the 8.0?

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

@dennis.hofheinz

Yes, it’s targeted to include in firmware version 8.0 GA but not in beta yet.

1 Like

Hi Sit,

I’ve tested the 8.0 RC today. I’m happy to find some SMS features, but I don’t see the posibility to send SMS with the device

by the way, the link to the knowlegde base is fine, but there is no information about SMS.

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

@dennis.hofheinz

SMS sending via device is not a direct feature at the WebAdmin page. You need to work with device level API in order to send the SMS. We still collecting the feedback from our partner that tested the feature in order for us to share the best practices for the community.

I will PM some of the info first before the information will be available in public forum post.

2 Likes

Dennis,

We are officially launching the SMS feature in 8.0. We have just published a guide on our website to highlight the current functionality. It is the first document on this page:

3 Likes

So this is to send the SIM card on the device commands by SMS. We still can’t send and receive text messages out of the router by the api/ other programming methods?