Printer SNMP through VLANs?

We have a Balance 210 with the local wired LAN set as the Untagged LAN. I have a VLAN (VLAN 2) set up for local WiFi devices. Inter-VLAN routing is enabled for both Untagged LAN & VLAN 2. Router address is at 192.168.1.1 for Untagged LAN and 192.168.2.1 for VLAN 2. My Internal Network Firewall Rules section has the default allow permission.

We just set up a new Kyocera printer which evidently uses SNMP in its setup app to find the printer on the network. Works fine for wired machines (192.168.1.x), but for the few wireless laptops (192.168.2.x) I’m trying to set it up on, it’s not finding the printer over WiFi. As soon as I plug in a USB-to-Ethernet adapter, it find it.

As far as I can tell it seems to be an issue/limitation due to SNMP (the app has an “SNMP settings” button so this is an assumption on my part).

Anyone have troubleshooting suggestions?

I find those auto find printers unreliable. I used to spend a lot of support time re-installing them. Better to reserve a DHCP address in the Balance, and then manually create a Windows TCP/IP port on the computer.

Hello @kgarvey,
Just like the Sonos sound systems, most auto discovery devices limit there ability to a single subnet, when using printers in a multi subnet or VLAN environment we would set the printer up with a Static IP outside of any DHCP reservation within that subnet.

You may like to have a look at this previous thread

Also there is a guide here that may be useful

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks all. I ended up reconfiguring our SSIDs and VLANs and things are working out well. This new setup is probably better in the long run anyway.