OpenVPN Support

Also me…another +1 to OpenVPN support (i’m using NordVPN and i love be able to use it inside my Peplink Balance Router)

+1 openVPN, I to use NordVPN and to use it on an already stable router would be great.

Is there any update on that firmware release?

You can try this out in our latest beta. It’s in the GUI, but I haven’t tried this myself yet. Results may vary!

https://forum.peplink.com/t/balance-max-firmware-8-0-beta-1/19531/10

2 Likes

OpenVPN is only supported as a server, not a client i.e. you can connect to you Pepwave router using OpenVPN but you can’t connect your Pepwave router to an OpenVPN service like NordVPN.

1 Like

I tried clicking the link to the beta firmware but I got:
Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!

How can I access the firmware?

Also, is this it at this point? Beta firmware for OpenVPN? I saw early in 2018 where it was mentioned that target was mid year (2018) for OpenVPN support. It’s 2019 so just checking to see if anything will be available in the form of production ready firmware that supports OpenVPN soon.

Thanks

Also, are there release notes for this firmware version? Is the version reasonably stable at this point to run in production?

Currently, that beta is only available to registered partners/resellers. Please PM me your name and company info and I can give you access. Otherwise, it will be open for public beta soon, likely next week.

Currently, OpenVPN support is only enabled in this beta. Is it ready for production? It is stable at our office, but everyone’s environment is different. This is a 2 week old beta - I would not run this at any site you can’t tolerate some troubleshooting.

1 Like

Thanks, can you answer this part?

I tried clicking the link to the beta firmware but I got:
Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!

How can I access the firmware?

Sorry, totally missed this:
Currently, that beta is only available to registered partners/resellers. Please PM me your name and company info and I can give you access.

Will PM you now.

See the following article on how to configure the OpenVPN options: https://forum.peplink.com/t/configure-remote-user-access-using-openvpn/

2 Likes

Hi, do you going to release client OpenVPN option , to allow to connect a VPN service like expressvpn , strongvpn or others?

Thanks

3 Likes

Also would like a way to have a BR1 mini as an openvpn client for strongvpn, purevpn, or other openvpn provider.

FW 8.0 has it. https://www.peplink.com/support/beta-firmware-downloads/. The final \version should be out in a few days or a couple of weeks.

Edit: Sorry I missed your “client” qualification – as noted in @Steve’s answer to you, below. Sorry to confuse you. But, sounds like a great opportunity to rearrange your architecture, if necessary, to usue PepVPN or Speed Fusion. :grinning:

1 Like

Excellent! Thanks!

I read the release notes and was afraid it was only for remote access to the network behind the peplink (openvpn server) at this point vs. being able to make the peplink device an openvpn client which is what I’m looking to do (openvpn client).

If FW 8.0 enables the peplink to function as a VPN client that will be great!

Unfortunately this is not the case, OpenVPN in firmware 8.0.0 works as Server (Remote User Access), just like PPTP and L2TP/IPsec.

1 Like

Any thoughts on when OpenVPN client mode might be supported?

Yes, what/when can we expect regarding OpenVPN support? By the looks of it this is one of the most requested features in the past years… For me, as a home-user the lacking of OpenVPN support is certainly a reason to consider other router brands when my license expires.

OpenVPN is supported in Server mode (Remote User Access) since Firmware 8.0 Configure Remote User Access using OpenVPN

1 Like

I try to install it. but can’t ind any shortcut key on desktop key. Can anyone want to help me.here is my free instagram account and password.

@eaglesha From your problem description I can’t work out at which point you are stuck, but if you follow these instructions you should have a working OpenVPN remote access setup : Configure Remote User Access using OpenVPN

1 Like