OpenVPN Support

At any point in the near future is Peplink planning to add OpenVPN (client) into the firmware? This feature continues to be requested (at least early 2015) yet no support offered.

2 Likes

i meant the openVPN client support for expressvpn, nordvpn etc etc.

1 Like

Yes…is this function in progress in your timeline??? Have openvpn client option inside router maybe fantastic…any news???

1 Like

Dear Peplink,

OpenVPN client should be great! easy to implement and it is better to connect from the device to a server than reversed.

Is this even going to happen? This is a popular requested feature, so it seems. What is the status on this?

The competition is supporting this EdgeRouter and Ubiquiti setup with NordVPN – Live Chat, VPN Setup, Troubleshooting | NordVPN Customer Support

Should I switch or wait?

1 Like

Hi @Niek_V - this was introduced in 2019 - please see this > Article < for more information.

Thanks,

Steve

1 Like

I mean client mode. Not server mode.

Does Peplink have plans to support OpenVPN in client mode or not? The silence is deafening on this matter, even as it remains very requested for multiple years.

In a mobile world, this is becoming more and more a must have and a key consideration I need to have in choosing whether to continue in the Peplink infrastructure or not.

Reading between the lines it sounds that this is not being considered to limit clients to Peplink’s proprietary services, which never seems to work out for tech companies in the long run.

2 Likes

Definitely welcome. OpenVPN Clinet would help us a lot with the integration of the devices.

1 Like

Agreed, OpenVPN client support is becoming increasingly in demand

A lot of companies and government departments are pushing for the use of open standards.

We work with a custom hardend version of OpenVPN that we would like to use on Peplink equipment. If OpenVPN (vanilla) would be supported, it would absolutely increase our willingness to buy more Peplink hardware!

Please consider to support this ASAP, if need be via a license key purchase!

1 Like

Thanks everyone. We are seriously looking into this. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

+1 for OpenVPN feature request.

+1 more for OpenVPN client feature request.

I have great news to share with everyone! You asked and we listened, OpenVPN client mode will be officially supported in the 8.1.1 firmware build and the license key will only cost $20!

8.1.0 should be going GA by the end of July and after that we should be able to create a special build of it with this feature supported for those who can’t wait to try it out.

Stay tuned!

11 Likes

Will it automatically be included with prime care devices?

1 Like

Good timing I was looking for an answer to this. This would be great and happy to pay $20 for the feature.

@Tim_S Thanks for listening. Good job by a good vendor. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for listening!

1 Like

Can you give us overview of how this will work on multiWAN Balance units?

OpenVPN WAN is standalone “WAN” (i.e. a new WAN show on Dashboard). You can configure the priority of the physical WANs to connect to OpenVPN server (similar to IPsec’s “WAN Connection Priority”). You can apply outbound policy, firewall, etc on OpenVPN WAN.

7 Likes