OpenVPN Support

Can you please elaborate why this prohibits using Peplink?

Peplink already has a Site-Site VPN that is well proven, and also can be licensed to support FIPS 140-2 security.

2 Likes

Any update on a timeline for when OpenVPN support will be made available for the Balance routers? I have a Balance 30 LTE and would really like to use an online paid VPN like VyprVPN or IPVanish like I’m doing already with a consumer ASUS router that supports OpenVPN. It eliminates the need to have their app installed on each device and I’m really liking the service so hope to be able to use it on a Peplink in the near future.

If you want to use OpenVPN for site to site then you’re missing the whole point of Peplink devices and their PepVPN/SpeedFusion VPN technology. It would be like using a Tesla to tow a cart. .

3 Likes

Major consideration would be our Communications Array Servers platforms and Grandstream VoIP equipment all run on OpenVPN. If we go with replacing all sites with Peplink routers, not sure they will mesh. Already planning on setting up a test site this week in Houston. Will keep you posted.

Thanks…

Hello @sotonet,
Speedfusion is very capable of creating secure VPN meshed networks, have a look at the video example of the configuration under the heading “Quick and Easy Configuration on InControl 2” at https://www.peplink.com/technology/speedfusion/
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sotonet - I have just reread my last post and must apologise. It was far from constructive. Moving between vendor technologies is always a headache - nothing is ever as easy as you want it to be and there are always unforeseen gotchas.

Can I suggest that you consider posting a sample network diagram on the forum and we’ll all help you plan for a PoC / migration so you can test out SpeedFusion for Site to site VPN and see how you get on?

I’d happily work with you on that new thread and share my experiences of similar migrations. Also take a look at the Pluss deep dive doc from their case study. They moved from Draytek and IPSec to SpeedFusion (running both site to site technologies side by side during the migration) and the doc explains the steps they took to migrate in a low risk manner.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just saw your withdrawn post - agree completely that my previous response above wasn’t constructive.
It came from frustration - which is no excuse, but there is so much more that you can do with SpeedFusion/PepVPN (when you need site to site VPN) compared to traditional IPSEC & SSL/VPN technologies like OpenVPN and I get frustrated when we fail to get that message across successfully. I will work harder to keep that frustration in check in the future and to provide more helpful responses :wink:

5 Likes

I’d like to see OpenVPN supported as well.

Support for OpenVPN is in the works. It is expected some time by mid year.

8 Likes

Hello,
Do you have a Beta (or any other) firmware with OpenVPN support?

Thank you,
Dana

2 Likes

no support in firmware 7.1

yet there are lots of good things in the release notes!

firmware_7.1_release_notes.pdf

Keep us in touch Peplink :grinning:

Hello Peplink Team,
Which MAX models will support OPENVPN?
Thanks,

Add one more vote for OpenVPN support. Really need it. Thank you

2 Likes

Do you have a release date of Beta firmware with OpenVPN ?

1 Like

Any news on OpenVPN availability? Really really could use it!

2 Likes

Stay tuned for more news on this next month!

9 Likes

Great news Travis!

yay! can’t wait :smiley:

Any news on OpenVPN ? thanks

We are working on it! Target in v8.0.0 tentatively.

6 Likes

Another + 1 for Open VPN
Basically, would like to enable Private Internet Access at the router level instead of doing so at each machine/device

2 Likes