Hello Peplink Team & Collegues.
We have a few clients that need to operate on their incoming WAN multiple IPs with differing VLANs.
We have searched the forum and looked over these past posts for guidance:
With one such client, we are currently doing a PoC using an SDX as the core router. The ISP connection presents with multiple VLANs on that connection (to be treated as a shared fibre network) of which the client needs to pick off the VLANs required within the SDX.
SFP#1 WAN (fibre connection from ISP)
- VLAN 101 (IP 188.8.131.52/31, GW 184.108.40.206) has ISPs Internet for the client
- VLAN 102 (IP 220.127.116.11/31, GW 18.104.22.168) has ISPs VoIP for the client.
SFP#2 LAN (fibre connection to the network internal client network switches)
- Trunk to the client’s internal switches
WAN#2 ISP Backup via alternative link path (again multiple VLANs like SFP#1).
- VLAN 201 (IP 22.214.171.124/31, GW 126.96.36.199) has ISPs Internet for the client
- VLAN 202 (IP 188.8.131.52/31, GW 184.108.40.206) has ISPs VoIP for the client.
One of the issues we are seeing is with the “Additional IP Address Settings” seen here:
Although we can enter the additional IP(s), we can not enter the additional IP Settings such as the Gateway & VLAN required.
With FW 8.0.2 on the SDX, you can only have six (6) WAN connections:
2 x SFP
2 x WAN (ethernet wired)
2 x Cellular (USB)
2 c Cellular (Expansion Module)
Can you have more wired WANs with an Option Card? I’ve search hi and low for a way to reconfigure any of the LAN ports as extra WAN ports. If there is there an option, I’ve not found it yet.
One thought was to change the SFP#1 port from WAN to LAN with VLANs 101 & 102.
- LAN Port 1 as VLAN 101 with a patch lead to WAN #1
- LAN Port 2 as VLAN 102 with a patch lead to WAN #2
Then remove the SPF#2 LAN Trunk and create that as the ISP Backup VLANs 201 & 202 and do the same as SFP#1.
- LAN Port 3 as VLAN 201 with a patch lead to WAN ??
- LAN Port 4 as VLAN 202 with a patch lead to WAN ??
And there is the problem in the ??. We need another two (2) WAN Ports, we had two with the SFP Ports though as they are now LAN ports, we’ve lost those two WAN ports. An option to set the VLANs for the extra IPs in the WAN is where being able to do this virtually would be great.
How about that for each WAN port disabled being able to change another LAN to another WAN? Would help improve the flexibility of the product (much like we can with the EPX ports).
We are avoiding getting any more switches, the client is attempting to simplify their network rather than complicate things. Open to thoughts and ideas and updated Firmware options to give it a go.
Happy to Help,