Introducing Forward Error Correction (FEC)

Available from firmware version 8.0 for Peplink routers with a SpeedFusion WAN Smoothing license.

Introduction

When using multicast applications on lossy WAN connections the performance can suffer.
To overcome these problems Peplink introduced WAN smoothing, but WAN smoothing has an overhead of at least 50%.
This is not always desirable when there isn’t enough bandwidth available.
Peplink has therefore introduced Forward Error Correction in Firmware 8.0
FEC is a cousin of WAN smoothing but it consumes less data.
It is useful for bandwidth sensitive applications such as mobile streaming.
FEC

When to use:

Forward Error Correction
Bandwidth sensitive 1-way communications like live TV and video streaming.
WAN Smoothing
Latency sensitive 2-way communications such as VoIP or Video Conferencing.

FEC definition

Forward error correction (FEC) is a digital signal processing technique used to enhance data reliability. It does this by introducing redundant data, called error correcting code, prior to data transmission or storage. FEC provides the receiver with the ability to correct errors without a reverse channel to request the retransmission of data. It is required that the peer router is using Firmware 8.0.0 and above.

Configuring your Peplink router

In the web admin interface go to
Network > Speedfusion on your Balance router or
Advanced > SpeedFusion on your MAX router.

Select a “New Profile” or open an existing PepVPN profile.
Select the option of choice on the Forward Error Correction drop-down list.
Save and Apply the changes

The options are:

Off Default
Low Expected Overhead 13.3%
High Expected Overhead 26.7%

For a more in-depth look at FEC watch this video

15 Likes

This. Is. Amazing! Good work!

Now all I need is some proper crappy WAN links to test this on :wink:

9 Likes

Come on over here … I’ll lend you some! :woozy_face:

crappy WAN links

3 Likes

Very impressive feature!
With FEC set to “High” moving UDP/RTP over dual bonded LTE with almost no errors (!!)
Without FEC, video looks like slideshow, which is expected when moving UDP/RTP over public networks.
Wow! Thank you!!
pep-fec

8 Likes

Hi
Did you try with the Medium setting, which I guess compares 1/3 against 2/3 FEC overhead.

There is no Medium setting at the moment, in firmware 8 beta 3, the overhead of FEC (Low) is 13% and FEC (High) is 26.7%:

5 Likes

Sorry I meant the lower FEC setting. I need to upgrade central Hardware before I can try.

1 Like

Good information with Forward Error Correction in Real-time Video Streaming Applications.

1 Like

Hi. I understood this is great feature for Bandwidth sensitive 1-way communications, so I suppose this is not usefull for Remote Desktop/Citrix communications, am I right ? Thank you.

Nope you’re wrong. FEC is useful for any real-time application traffic like a citrix desktop session.
Most people think about FEC for broadcast video as that#s where you see it most often, but any application that is jitter or packet loss sensitive would benefit from FEC.

4 Likes

Great, thank you Martin.

2 Likes

Hello, I need help, I don’t see any FEC on my current setup (fusionhub) and my device is a max-transit-dou.

@sitchuwap, please ensure your FusionHub and MAX Transit are running latest firmware version.

1 Like

it is running the latest firmware for the device and incontrol2.

@sitchuwap

This is very weird. May i know the profile is manage under IC2 ? Suppose you should able to see the option in IC2 PepVPN profile.

Can you please confirm whether you able to see the option ?

1 Like

Hello, I don’t see the “Profile Option” in IC2.
Currently using a “star” topology

And here is device matrix regarding the firmware

FusionHub = Firmware 8.1.0 build 4940
MaxTransitDuo = Firmware 8.1.0 build 4943

This is rather strange. Can you please screenshot the “Profile Option” page and paste it here ? I checked all the devices in my labs, i can find the option.

Beside that, can you try different Web browser and see whether you can see the option ?

1 Like

@sitchuwap
This appears to be an issue with the device capability check for your case.
It issue should be cleared, please try again.

1 Like

hello, I don’t know here that “Profile Option” is… I am using chrome and microsoft edge, and the output of incontrol are the same.

please guide me or you provide screenshot where to go that “Profile Option”

my Apologies, I do not understand what you are saying…
Are you telling me that my Device Max-transit-duo has a compatibility issue with the fusionhub?
My Device Max-transit-duo is not capable to perform FEC ?
please guide me how to fix it. thank you