Ignition Sense Supported?

Do any of the Pepwave MAX products, or any Peplink device for that matter, support Igntiion Sense via DC wiring? What is the purpose of the O/P and I/P pins on the BR1 DC terminal?

1 Like

Do you mind to share more information on the application use case for the requirement? We would like to hear more from you.

1 Like

Hi acouture,

The O/P and I/P pins on the MAX BR1 are for a (scheduled?) feature to monitor/provide the power status info of the device.
It’s been answered a while ago, in 2015.
I’m not sure if this feature has been implemented by now though, can’t find anything about it.

@sitloongs, could you tell us if this scheduled feature has been implemented by now?

2 Likes

Do you have detail info for the project that you are currently working on that make you look for the O/P and I/P pin options ?

1 Like

The customer was wondering if they could use those pins for ignition sense so that the unit would remain powered on for XX minutes after ignition is shut off.

1 Like

May I know how our device get the power? From the battery? Our device doesn’t have built-in battery.

1 Like

Hi. I’m wondering if an external device may meet your customer’s needs.

We’ve often found a need to keep certain equipment (e.g., mobile routers, laptops, GPS units, etc) powered up for a pre-set amount of time after the vehicle is shut off. Example: A police officer or utility worker turns off his vehicle and is away from it for, say 30-45 minutes. The module keeps the equipment powered up. However, at the end of the shift, if he does not power it down it will be done automatically to save the battery. The module monitors battery V and “knows” the difference between discharge V and charge V. Essentially, the timer starts when the transition from charge to discharge occurs and resets it when the V increases to, say 13-14VDC indicating the engine is on.

We’ve used a variety of these devices over the years. Examples:

http://www.aprsworld.com/apo3/

So, with such as device as I’ve described ignition sense on the router is not needed. Am I on the right track? :upside_down_face:

Rick

2 Likes

It would be wired via DC power to the vehicle, possibly directly to the battery, but most likely through the wire harness of the vehicle.

@Rick-DC that is the way the customer intends to use the product, yes. They were hoping it could be done with the router/modem itself, but these additional devices may work for them. I will let them know about these options.

Right-o.
I am also just reminded we used to use a product called ChargeGuard in law enforcement vehicles. I see that that specific product is no longer available but there’s a new product here —> ChargeGuard-Select | CG-X | Havis Inc NRL .

One advantage of such external devices is that they can shut off other devices also, not just a router. Really saves batteries. :smirk:

1 Like

@Rick-DC Thanks! I let the customer know, so this should work for them.

I would like to know when the i/p (and o/p) pin(s) will be readable (and controllable) by InControl. It would be very useful to have a small relay (with suitable back-EMF protection) connected to the o/p pin which could be energised by InControl on demand, for example to reset a connected device. Similarly, the i/p pin could be connected to a relay contact and provide remote monitoring of the relay state.

There are many use cases for this which could be constructed - but I would expect that, having made the investment to incorporate this hardware into the excellent units, it would be crazy not to provide some way of using it!

Thanks for reading this.

1 Like

BUMP!!!

Please could someone answer this?

Many thanks.

J

I was wondering if there had been any change on the O/P I/P on the new BR1 MK2 LTE?

This I/O O/P could be used to remotely power off devices adding to the OoBM functionality of the kit, as well as adding to the ignition circuit use cases above.

At the Partner Summit there was talk about ignition sense. I know have a case where that is appliciable. Can anyone tell me if it is supported now? Or if it will be?

1 Like

Hi @ami,

The product we talked about was in the Workshop room - the SD-PMU. Here is a > Link < to the device.

Thank you,

Steve

3 Likes