Firmware Upgrade Procedure for High Availability Router Pair

For High Availability firmware upgrade procedures through InControl please click here.

Step 1: Obtain the firmware for the devices from the Peplink website.

Step 2: Disable “Configuration Sync” on the slave device in the high availability pair.

Step 3: Remove the slave device from the network.

• Disconnect LAN and WAN cable(s) from the slave device.

Step 4: Perform the firmware upgrade on the slave device.

• From within the web admin of the slave device access the “System” tab on top > “Firmware” section on the left.

• Select the “Choose File” button within the “Manual Firmware Upgrade” area to select the firmware image you saved locally.

• Once the firmware image has been selected and is displayed in the window to the right, select the “Manual Upgrade” button.

• Select “OK” in the dialogue box that appears.

• The device will validate the firmware image and then upgrade, this will cause a device reboot.

• Once the device reboot has been completed, access the web admin and verify the configuration.

Step 5: Re-connect the slave device to the network.

• Reattach the LAN and WAN cable(s) to the slave device.

Step 6: Remove the master device from the network.

• Disconnect LAN and WAN cable(s) from the master device.
    • This will cause a fail-over to the slave device to occur.

Step 7: Perform the firmware upgrade on the master device.

• From within the web admin of the master device access the “System” tab on top > “Firmware” section on the left.

• Select the “Choose File” button within the “Manual Firmware Upgrade” area to select the firmware image you saved locally.

• Once the firmware image has been selected and is displayed in the window to the right, select the “Manual Upgrade” button.

• Select “OK” in the dialogue box that appears.

• The device will validate the firmware image and then upgrade, this will cause a device reboot.

• Once the device reboot has been completed, access the web admin and verify the configuration.

Step 8: Re-connect the master device to the network.

• Reattach the LAN and WAN cable(s) to the master device.
    • This will cause the master device to resume the active router role.

Step 9: Re-enable “Configuration Sync” on the slave device.

• From within the web admin of the slave device access the “Network” tab on top > “High Availability” section on the left.

• Select the box to enable configuration sync in the “Configuration Sync” area and ensure the master device’s serial number is displayed in the window.

• Configuration Sync will be displayed on the “Dashboard” page of the slave device when enabled.

2 Likes

Hello Jeffrey, @Jeffrey_Riley
How does this differ from doing a scheduled update from within InControl2 ?
As an example someone has a situation where the high availability server equipment is not easily accessible (this could be due to location, staffing, or other reasons), yet the NOC & support team has full access to the system through InControl2 ?
Appreciate your assistance,
Marcus :slight_smile:

I believe you will have the upgrade window for such operation. So, local upgrade for HA pair is recommended to avoid any unforeseen circumstances.

Of course, you can leverage the technology to perform remote upgrade if the situation is under control. For example someone is on standby and HA failover test was carried out according to customer’s policy. You have to ensure there is a gap to perform upgrade between the HA pair (you should schedule upgrade slave then follow by master, please give enough time between the 2 upgrades).

Hope this help.

1 Like

Hi mldowling,

The procedures for performing a firmware upgrade on a high availability router pair through InControl have been posted here. I think the largest difference, as TK has mentioned, is that there will be a risk of encountering unforeseen circumstances that will be more difficult to manage if not done locally.

I hope this helps. :grinning:

1 Like

Hello,

My question is : what is the expected downtime for the cluster upgrade ?

Only the session break during the failover ?

Thanks,

Anthony

Yes, only session break during failover

1 Like

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you so much for this procedure. I will do the firmware upgrade on 2 Balance 380 HW6.
My question: Disconnect / Reconnect LAN side cables on Slave / Master are MANDATORY ?

Thanks,
Dinh Khai VO