Experience Only the Best - Firmware 8.3.0

Firmware 8.3.0 is finally here to provide you with the best Peplink experience. From highly anticipated new features to refinements, this update is the best to date. Period.

Improved connectivity experience for 5G & Starlink

SpeedFusion

• SpeedFusion Connect Protect (previously SpeedFusion Connect) now comes with unlimited* usage. Experience the convenience of SpeedFusion just with a valid CarePlan, without ever feeling lost and out of contact. >Learn More<

*Fair Usage Policy Applies after SFCP allowance has been exceeded.

• Dynamic Weighted Bonding was already groundbreaking, but it’s now even better. Experience this default traffic distribution policy, just intelligently enhanced to provide faster speeds in detecting bad links and packet loss.

5G/Cellular

• Dual Antenna Mode is now an option for selected 5G devices. This highly requested feature enables you to overcome limitations in your setup, whilst preserving the Peplink experience.
  • Choose your preferred carrier, set signal strength thresholds, monitor your band channel widths, and even SIM card priorities, with this intelligent firmware upgrade.

More flexibility of WAN options

• Synergy Mode: Synergize multiple Peplink devices and maintain the ability to control them natively under one intuitive UI. >Learn More<
  • Virtual WAN: Lacking WAN inputs? The latest update offers default Virtual WAN support for applicable devices so you can create a virtual WAN on a particular VLAN and continue to enjoy SpeedFusion. What’s more, PrimeCare devices (with a valid PrimeCare subscription) can enjoy the included 1x Virtual WAN at no extra cost. >Learn More<
  • MAX Adapter: The MAX Adapter can now be configured as a cellular WAN, allowing you to fine-tune your configurations!

InTouch

Now supporting USB to Serial adapters, InTouch further provides unmatchable OOBM access to all remote devices behind your Peplink router – IP devices, remote desktops, remote protocols for servers, and more.

Further Enhancements

[27602] [OpenVPN WAN] - Added Site-to-Site VPN Mode

Site-to-site VPN connects two or more networks together using a single OpenVPN tunnel. The tunnel travels over the Internet with its contents securely encrypted. This allows devices in one network to communicate with devices in another network, accessing shared resources as if they were part of the same network. A company can use site-to-site VPN mode to connect its corporate network with its remote offices, enabling them to communicate and share resources as a single network.

[16701] [Outbound Policy] - Outbound policy now supports [Client Type] as the source

The client type list has been redesigned. Larger icons have been added to different client types for easier identification

Each client is categorized into its own network device type.

2023-01-20_122311.png

Paring with the newly introduced [Client Type] outbound policy, it allows users to define how the source’s LAN-to-Internet traffic gets routed out as the client type, as compared to entering the client devices’ IP one by one. This makes it more convenient for people who have a large number of devices.

With the newly introduced [Client Type] outbound policy, users can define how their network traffic gets routed by client type. For example, you can create an outbound policy for all your connected tablet devices in one go. Previously, users needed to enter each of their client devices’ IPs one by one. This makes it more convenient for people who have a large number of devices.

[28695] [QoS] Added: Application Queue - Bandwidth Control for Application

Bandwidth control is no longer limited to user groups or individual users. A specific upload /download cap can be set for your applications.Application Queue (1).gif

New Products

SpeedFusion Relay: Remotely connect to your home network as if you were there and securely access your IoT devices behind it. (Datasheet | Product Shots)
BR1 Mini Core: Designed with strict security compliance in mind, we’ve tailor-made the device to exclude Wi-Fi & GPS functionality, making it great for networks that require a highly secure connection. Fully optimized for telemetry. (Datasheet | Product Shots)

Name Changes

To keep everything consistent within the Peplink ecosystem, some products/services have been renamed. Don’t worry, the products/services will remain the same!
Home Sharing >> Relay Mode
PepVPN >> SpeedFusion VPN

###This release also includes other features and improvements

GPIO Changes on BR1 Mini Series
With firmware 8.3.0, the BR1 Mini series will include GPIO as a built-in feature, which will be enabled by default. Users will no longer need to purchase the feature pack to enable this feature.
-Related models: BR1 Mini (HW3), BR1 Mini Core

Balance 20X

• Wi-Fi WAN is now included with PrimeCare
  • Improved router throughput - 1Gbps
6 Likes

Can’t login now with an iPad. It just does a ton of redirects. After I clicked allow this site (certificate) it then just redirects to itself continuously. On latest safari on the latest iPad OS.

had to rollback to last release for now.

Does this remove the need for the patch that was done to allow Starlink to work with my Max Transit? IOW - would this firmware mean I need to move my Starlink back to the WAN port instead of the LAN port it is currently on?

Question - Does the following statement mean that this firmware can’t be installed on a SOHO MK3 running 8.2.0?

“The configuration file for Firmware 8.3.0 is not compatible with firmware versions 8.2.1 or below.”

If so where can I find the 8.2.2 (or whatever) firmware I need to install first? I do not find it on the firmware download page.

I believe it’s stating the configuration file within 8.3.0 is not backwards compatible with 8.2.1. This means if you do not like 8.3.0 and would like to downgrade, the configurations are not compatible. This is typically do to new features being available in 8.3.0 and not in 8.2.1. You should be able to upgrade to 8.3.0 from 8.2.1 but I recommend taking a configuration backup while running 8.2.1 in the event you do device to revert to 8.2.1.

To take a configuration backup, navigate to system → configuration → download active configurations.

1 Like

@JO3 Excellent! Thank you, especially for the reminder to save a config backup.

Appreciate your help.

1 Like

The QoS Application Queue feature seems to reserve a minimum bandwidth for a given application, not set a bandwidth cap as is described here. Am I understanding that correctly?

You might try turning off the “Fraudulent Website Warning” in the Safari settings.

That didn’t work. It’s not giving me the fraud website warning, it’s just redirecting a 1000 times. Any other thoughts?

Clear your cache

1 Like

Ditto on the suggestion from Steve_TX to clear your cache. Also toggle off “Prevent Cross-Site Tracking”.

1 Like

Thank you so much. This worked!

1 Like

Thank you the cache clearing worked. I appreciate all the help.

1 Like

Is Dynamic Weighted Bonding available on all models, including the 20x?

@mystery : Here’s a shot from a 20X …

1 Like

Congrats to everyone over at Peplink.
This is by far the coolest Firmware update I’ve seen a company do.
The amount of features and performance gains on the same hardware is astounding.

Thank you for all your handwork.
-Kevin

5 Likes

If I am understanding this correctly, if you purchase a new Balance 20x which comes with PrimeCare you get the ability to convert 1 LAN Port to a virtual WAN port and use that for let’s say a T-Mobile Home Internet Connection, and then you could also use the physical WAN port for Starlink. Those both along with the WiFi WAN can be bonded for SpeedFusion. All that functionality included in PrimeCare. If you purchase a 1X Balance 20x Virtual WAN Activation License, you get only the same level of functionality but you will have spent $200 that you did not need to so long as you have a valid PrimeCare in place? So in essence you would not have to purchase the 1x Virtual WAN Activation License in order to get the functionality I’ve described above. Is that correct?

Well it was short lived. A day later it refused to login again. Had to reset website data again to get in. Something is amiss…

Any time you change the IP address of the router, safari will get confused. Finalize the configuration, then reset the cache.

1 Like

The IP of the router hasn’t changed. 192.168.50.1. This all started with the latest release.