Cellular threshold vs Download\Upload speed

Hi, I need your help.

We are using Router Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini LTE.

1. I would like to know if you have a table of which cellular signal (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 bars) combining signal strength and signal quality enables which download and upload speed and the risk\connectivity involved.

2. We need to know if there is threshold for cellular signal (quality+strength) from which we shouldn’t installed\need to improve, and the risk involved.

3. We need to know is the if there is threshold for clients wifi signal (as seen from the router) that we shouldn’t installed\need to improve, and the risk involved.

P.S - Sometimes the router is connected to your Access Point for trouble places (such as Pepwave AP One Flex, Pepwave AP Pro Duo, Pepwave AP One Rugged) if it adds any additional information needed \ changes the values in the threshold we asked for above.

Thank you

No one can provide a table like this. Available cellular bandwidth will depend on what bandwidth is available at the tower you are connected to, how busy that tower is, and the quality of the cellular connection between the BR1 and the tower. Risk? Risk to who?

This is highly dependent on your usage type / bandwidth requirements. Typically for field installs, you would deploy, measure available bandwidth, then look to improve the signal reception quality and then measure bandwidth again. The need for improvement is subjective depending on the use case / requirement. Risk what risk? To who?

Same as above, pretty much.

1 Like

You might find these signal tables useful as a guide: http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2014/04/making-sense-of-signal-strengthsignal.html

4 Likes

The risk is for us, for losing Data, connection with the different devices and losing connection with the router

Basically is there is a level of cellular a in which we can lose the Router and we shouldn’t install there ?
Same thing for Wifi, is there a level of wifi a in which we can lose the clients and we shouldn’t install there ?

I would be really appreciate if you have any answers for the questions above.
Do you have statistical \ hand rules (rule of thumb) that we should apply and go by ?

we upload each month around 2GB-7GB per router and downloading around 200MB-2GB, is there level of signal strength, quality , band and etc that would not enable.

Thank you for the guide line - its a start for sure.

Can you @MartinLangmaid answer please ? see above ^^

You’re asking the wrong questions. When you install a cellular router you either get connected or you don’t. In either case you would then look at ways to improve the cellular signal levels and quality. You would be running speed tests the whole time to see if what you are doing is improving the ultimate end result of available bandwidth.

You can be in a physical situation where you get high signal strength but low throughput, and in the same location lower signal strength and higher throughput.

All of this sounds like you’re writing a process for installation engineers to follow. If you are make the KPI throughput not signal.

1 Like

And by that I mean “Is there enough bandwidth available for my specific application” .

I’ve deployed cellular routers with only 2Mbps up and down for VoIP handsets where I could likely have gotten more throughput by using better antennas, but the application (VoIP in this case) doesn’t warrant the extra cost of the antenna and the labor costs of its physical installation.

1 Like

Hello @Nadav_Dishon,
In addition to @MartinLangmaid comments, you may find some of these previous posts useful

If your local Peplink Partner is unable to assist, then you are welcome to reach out via a Peplink Support TIcket, raise a support thicket at Contact Us, post your Peplink ticket number here so the Peplink staff can see and they will get back to though the support ticket moving forward, Peplink may be able to bring another suitable expert in to assist you.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile: