Cellular Firmware Upgrade Process

To upgrade the firmware on the cellular module you will need to navigate to the support.cgi page. This can be done by making a change to the address in the address bar. If you are accessing your device via IC2 from the Remote Web Admin feature, you’ll see something like this:
.ic.peplink.com/ra/remote/<SERIAL_NUMBER>/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi

The change will be at the very end, the index.cgi, this will need to be changed to support.cgi. It should look like this:
.ic.peplink.com/ra/remote/<SERIAL_NUMBER>/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi

If you are logging into the device locally you’ll see:
<IP_ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi
The same change can be made here for the index.cgi to support.cgi, like this:
<IP_ADDRESS>/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi

This page has several advanced features. If you are unfamiliar with these features you may want to leave them be. You’ll need to find the Cellular Module Firmware Update bullet point.

Click on the Check for update button to check for the cellular module firmware update. Depending on the number of cellular modules that the device has will affect what you see after click on the button. Here is example output from our HD4 with four cellular connections.

This shows the Current Firmware that’s been detected on the module and it’s also letting us know what the Latest Firmware is. If these two do not match click on the radio button for the cellular module and click on the Update button. If the firmware needs be upgraded on all modules use Update All. If only cellular connections are being used this will cause you to lose your internet connection. You may want to upgrade them one by one.

If you see the following message a connection to the internet may not be available or the device cannot pass the initial connectivity test. Please check all of your connections and try again.

If you receive a message that says Please Try Again Later, make sure that you are running 7.1.1 or a later version of firmware. If you are still seeing this message or still having issues with the cellular connection please reach out to the support team here.

4 Likes

Is there a notification mechanism informing us when a cellular module update is/may be available? Assuming that updates serve a purpose :smile: it would be good not to have to check manually. (I don’t recall seeing update notices for cellular firmware the way se see them for router firmware here on the forum.)

This may be different on current routers. I am in the process of updating a HD2 IP67 (fw 8.0.0) and even when I update one cellular module at a time, I lose connection on both the radios (“resetting”). Not a problem, just a clarification w.r.t. the write-up.

I agree, would be nice to see a notification upon log-in to the Admin interface or even subscribe to an email mailing list to receive notice.

@zegor_mjol @mystery

This process is more so to ensure that the cellular modems are up-to-date. This is also a measure we recommend if you see any cellular issues. The cellular modems do not receive as frequent of updates as the Peplink/Pepwave devices do.

1 Like