US Data Plan on LTE CAT-18 Models

does the t-mobile plan work for all non cat-18 peplink devices? can anyone actually confirm that?

i am still trying to understand why carriers in the USA were having issues with cat 18 devices. whether it was intentional (they figured easy way to block devices or they were causing issues at the towers) or it was simply a new make/model modem that had to be allowed on their systems (unintentional). it seems to me there must be a reason and i am guessing its intentional.

I can confirm the T-Mobile Magenta tablet plan works in these models:
-Transit Duo Cat-12 (Sierra EM7511)
-BR1 Classic Cat-6 (Sierra MC7455)
-BR1 Mini Cat-6 (Sierra MC7455)
-Transit Mini Cat-4 (Telit LE910C4-NF)

2 Likes

Curious to know of any special settings for the ATT tablet plan in a Max Cat18 I am currently running one in my BU Nighthawk M1 but with some minor mods.

I have always set TTL to 64 on cellular WANs, but I have been told this is not necessary for the AT&T tablet plan. First, they do not limit hotspot/tethering on the plan (although this may have recently changed). And second, they supposedly use a separate APN for hotspot/tethering on phones/tablets, rather than detecting TTL. I have never seen AT&T usage show up as anything other than “mobile data” regardless of the TTL setting on the Pepwave.

For Visible and T-Mobile, I believe TTL modification is necessary to avoid hotspot throttling.

I can confirm that new users on the AT&T standalone tablet plan no longer get unlimited hotspot / tethering. After thinking about it for a while, I bought an iPad last week and got the plan to use as a backup hotspot to the Pepwave and missed it by hours :frowning_face: . It now throttles to 128 kbps after 10GB. Existing accounts don’t seem to be affected, yet.

Putting the SIM in a router still works but as you said, I think the APN determines if it is counted as hotspot or device data and of course, you’re at risk of it being shutdown when they realize that a Pepwave is not a tablet.

I wonder how long this plan is going to survive. It seems like AT&T have taken steps to reduce the amount of use / abuse. A lot of people tether to an iPad as a legitimate way to get internet in their RV or whatever. That’s what I was going to do as a backup in case the dubious reseller plan in my Pepwave fails. A&T are eventually going to realize that the bulk of the traffic is probably not from that so much as people using it on routers many of which have the IMEI spoofed to look like an iPad so are therefore difficult to detect.

The tablet 10 GB issue seems to be triggered or due to using it in hotspot mode in the tablet before moving the sim to a properly configured router…so it seems in other forums.

I have the ATT 20$ plan running in my Nighthawk fully setup so to speak. Can I move it to my CAT18 if APN only is set without any problem hate to screw up a good thing.

I think it would work fine. Only one way to find out! I swap AT&T SIMs between routers for testing all the time. Also, I tested various TTL settings for AT&T and found no difference in performance.

However, T-Mobile absolutely needs to be set to 64 if the plan has limited or throttled hotspot.

Thanks good to know…

I got the RedPocket data only SIM - I will confirm it will only connect 3G. Anyone have any luck getting it to work?

Calyx Institute (Sprint/T-mobile) works with auto settings. The APN is r.ispsn if you want to set manually. Disable B25/26/41 to force it to roam on T-Mobile. I think this may be the only way to run a T-Mobile unlimited data plan in the LM960 currently. Annual membership comes out to $42/month during the first year and $34/month thereafter. It’s possible the LM960 could get blocked in the future like it is on T-Mobile postpaid unlimited plans.

1 Like

Where I can learn how to pull my Nomad Deep Red Plan router with SIM through my Max Transit Duo?

I think you can do what I am doing – your router/hotspot will be broadcasting WiFi. Set up your Max Transit Duo to pick up the WiFi signal as WiFi as WAN. Then you’ll have both that signal and your SIM cards in the Max Transit Duo to use.

Have you tried taking the SIM out of the hotspot and putting it into the Transit instead? I was doing this workaround because the SIM wasn’t working in my MAX Transit LTEA. If you don’t need to do that, using the hotspot may make things more complicated and/or degrade performance.

Looking for some guidance, interested to see if anyone else is having a similar experience, or maybe I am just missing something in the setup. I have a Max Transit Cat 18 and recently purchased a Visible plan. I activated the SIM in the phone, moved it over to the Max and it constantly sits at Obtaining IP Address, never moving any further. Everything I have read this far has sound like this was a pretty safe plan to go with. I have tried setting the APN to “vzwinternet” and “vzblinternet” and getting the same result as explained above. I have also tried changing the TTL value to 64 and 65, even though from my understanding that won’t affect establishing a connection. Anyone else experience this recently? Is there a step I am missing? If so, could you share your setup with me. Thank you in advance.

The only step you didn’t mention that people say is required is… set it to generic mode… here’s a screenshot of mine which is on AT&T mode.

Thanks for calling that out and I did forget to mention that. I have set it to generic and still just sits on obtaining IP address.

I think the APN for Visible is VSBLINTERNET.

Confirmed.

Z

1 Like

I was unable to enroll my max transit lteA in Verizon prepaid

I just signed up for the ATT 100 GB prepaid hotspot plan at https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html
The Pepwave Cat18 was accepted with no issue and is working fine.

3 Likes