SSID naming options

I see where other have asked this question, but I’m new to Peplink router. We purchased 56 of the Max Transit mini router to install in our Motorcoaches. Is there a way to add the device name to the end of the SSID name in the Group-Wide SSID setting. I’m changing Device name to match the vehicle ID.

Hi - welcome to the forum!
The only ‘variable’ based method that I know of is using “####’ in the SSID settings on InControl2 which adds the last 4 digits of the serial number to the SSID.

maybe @aldwinaldwin might know if there are any more? Device Name as a SSID variable seems like a good idea to me.

1 Like

Indeed @MartinLangmaid, since InControl2 2.8.2 …

The substring “####” in an SSID will be substituted with the last 4 digits of the serial number of configured devices no matter where the substring is located in the SSID. Formerly, the substring is substituted only when it is located at the end of the SSID.

2 Likes

I understand the #### but that really doesn’t help in my situation. I will have 55 units install if buses, amd when there are more than one bus in the yard it is hard to determine which bus wi-fi we are connecting to, or if the bus’s Wi-Fi is working as they also have the same SSID. It would be better if the SSID contained the bus # so we know which unit we are dealing with. using the serial number doesn’t tell the mechanics or customer if they are connected to the correct Wi-Fi. I have been putting the Bus number for the device name so it would be great if we could add the Device name to end of the SSID.

2 Likes

+1 for this. Also being able to use just the device name as the SSID.

1 Like

+1 for the device name as the SSID.

+1 for naming SSID

Hello @tallen and @ThirdEyeSamuel,
The way we do this is we create a separate TAG for each vehicle (could be the vehicle rego) on the device within InControl2. Anything installed in that vehicle (router, switch WAP, SDPMU) all have the same TAG. We may also use other TAGs related to the project and client needs.

We normally would create a unique VLAN first then a unique SSID for each of the devices using the related TAG to get the required SSID only on that device.

Another tool we use is a professional Wi-Fi spectrum analyser; this can show us the SSID, BSSID, MAC Address of the WAP, Signal strength of the WAP, signal frequency and signal bandwidth. Here is one such product from Metageek using the Chanalyzer software

Finally, you can also use the Peplink AirProbe range (many of the newer MAX routers can have this functionality turned on).

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the info Marcus, blessings. :pray:t2:

1 Like

Could be nice if Peplink could add a toggle to have the device name added as an 802.11 information element (IE) to the beacon frames and/or probe responses as there are a lot of wifi scanner apps and survey software out there that can decode these IEs.