Speedfusion reliability is poor - what am i doing wrong?

i just setup speedfusion with fusionhub solo so that i can bond my 2 pep modems, and i can’t figure out why it isn’t work correctly - the net connection is down most of the time, and when it is working i don’t get much (if any) benefit (with rare exceptions where i briefly see great up/down speeds, it is very promising)

a few questions/ things i’ve noticed below, setup and background details at bottom. i really appreciate your help - being able to bond my 2 lte data connections (which are low bandwidth, especially on the upstream) would be a game changer!

  1. sometimes, when i’m having problems and the net is down, I notice that on the balance 210 dashboard, in the “PepVPN with SpeedFusion” section where it shows the status, it appears the tunnel goes up and down at times. is this normal? e.g., after the vpn has been established and is running the little green square turns red and i see it cycling through back through the process: creating tunnels, updating route (this one seems to take a long time) and then it is established again. i’ve looked to see and both WANs are up according to the balance and the max br1’s

  2. sometimes the balance reports one of the WANs is down, but i go to the modem and it doesn’t appear down (this doesn’t always effect the vpn, but sometimes the vpn cycles reconnection process when this happens - may not be related given the above)

  3. whenever the PepVPN with SpeedFusion is establishing a connection (before it is established) i can’t seem to access the internet. is that they way it should work? i assumed it’d use the wans until the vpn is in place and then use the vpn. when this happens, i (sometimes? don’t think it’s all the time) can’t even other devices on my local lan (e.g. i can’t get to the admin page for my modems), it’s like the lan and wan networks all go down until the vpn is connected

  4. sometimes on the Balance SpeedFusion status page i’m getting a fair amount of messages like “Not Available, link failure, data sent but no response”, “link failure, no data received” etc. for one of the WAN connections (maxbr1’s). i haven’t seen both do this at the same time, just one

  5. the max-br1’s aren’t used for anything else, they plug into the balance 210 as WANs. should i be setting these up in IP Passthrough mode?

  6. i noticed that when i first setup FusionHub, there wasn’t any traffic (Rx or Tx) going over the VPN… until i setup “Send All Traffic To”. is that the correct way to send traffic over the VPN?


Setup Details & Background

i have 2 max-br1’s (att lte data w/ the internal ip addresses of and connected to a balance 210 router ( the balance connects to a FusionHub Solo server (hosted in google cloud, static ip). everything is running the latest firmware. both wans on the balance (the max-br1’s) are set to highest priority.

i used the “fusionhub_installation_guide.pdf” install guide v. 1.1.0-7 to setup a the FusionHub connection; the the admin dashboard on the balance and fusion hub server show the PepVPN with SpeedFusion is “established”.

i was using speedfusion cloud on one of my max-br1’s. it worked great and using it resolved my att problem (i use att lte data and att has that problem where you lose connectivity to most things http, and you have to reboot your modem - or force 3g and then switch back to lte - and then att works again for a while until until it doesn’t and you repeat the process. using the pepvpn stops this from happening). SpeedFusion, being built on top of PepVPN should solve this too… and give me the bonding.

Hi, did you ever find a solution to these issues? I am experiencing similar symptoms you’ve outlined above.

i never figured out what was causing the problem, and i’m not sure what i did to fix it, if anything… maybe it it just got better over time on it’s own :roll_eyes:

sorry, i wish i could help. the system works ok, much better than what i had, but i’m hoping to be able to replace it soon w/ a starlink setup that doesn’t require any of this

1 Like

I got this resolved. In my case, the symptoms were a result of UDP flood protection enabled on an upstream gateway. Simply changing the data port to TCP from UDP on the VPN profile in IC2 resolved the issue without creating the need to change settings on the upstream (and unmanaged) gateway. All credit to Ron Case at Peplink for assistance in deep troubleshooting.