SpeedFusion Profile Stuck at "Updating Routes" on FusionHub - Firmware 8.4.1

Hi everyone,

I submitted a ticket on this (#24020896) but I thought I’d drop it here in case anyone else might have seen this or have some ideas.

We have a variety of devices that connect to dual FusionHubs (Disaster Recovery setup) to create a star SD-WAN.

Since upgrading to 8.4.1 we’ve been seeing some odd behavior in some devices getting stuck at “Updating Routes” on the FusionHub.

The device gets the advertised IP subnets from the FusionHub - and can successfully connect to these IPs. But the local subnets from the stuck device never make it to the FusionHub OSPF table - so other devices never get to see the subnets from the stuck device.

Usually I know this is caused by overlapping subnets - but I’ve confirmed all of our subnets are unique.

The device families that I’ve specifically seen this behavior is the MAX BR1 Pro 5G and the new B One (do they share the same chipset?). This doesn’t seem to present itself on our SDX Pros, MAX MBX Minis, or MAX Transit Duo Pros.

If I downgrade any of the stuck devices down to 8.4.0 - it connects successfully.

The weird part is that it might happen to one or two devices - but sometimes they also work. Most often though there is at least one device stuck in the profile (unless I downgrade one of them to 8.4.0).

It kinda feels like a race condition on setting up the routing table? I wish there was more feedback or logging to show what is happening…

The FusionHub does have static IP ranges assigned for the subnets that are routable into Azure. So these are pushed down from the FusionHub to the devices.

I tried taking out the static routes on the FusionHub to see if that impacted it - and the problem persisted.

I’ve also tried taking the disaster recovery dual FusionHub out of the mix - using only a primary - but the behavior persisted.

I believe some of the routing functionality has changed recently? Eg. addition of the new “Custom Route Advertising”… I think I still want Static Routes to pass traffic from the FusionHub LAN to Azure subnets.

Thanks for any insights or guidance!

I think this is a bug. We saw it this week. For some reason the default vlan does not get advertised. The work around is to manually advertise it as a custom route on the remote peer. Try that and let us know if it works.

Suggest you log it as a ticket so engineering can review also.

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info!

Ticket was logged a couple days ago (#24020896).

I tried your suggestion of manually adding the default/untagged LAN (which we don’t use - but have given a unique subnet), to the Custom Route Advertising.

This did move past the stuck “Updating Routes” stage - but it only advertised the single subnet of the untagged LAN that I had entered into Custom Routes. It did not also advertise the other VLANs that we actually use over SpeedFusion. Would rather not have to manually enter the local VLAN subnets on each device to Custom Routes.

I also tried using the Network Advertising drop-downs to select all of our VLANs - excluding the default LAN. This did not work - remained stuck at “Updating Routes”.

Thank you!

We saw this too.

We were told it is when there are no devices connected to the LAN on one of the sides.

1 Like

@MartinLangmaid @AdamSteadman

You are right , this is the firmware bug that triggered for firmware 8.4.1 when no physical link connected/detected for the LAN port.

The firmware 8.4.1 not handle well for this condition and cause the route is not advertised from the remote device to the hub device… This is not a common case because normally we will have LAN clients/Physical link connected for the device.

@Matt_Ross

Support team will provide the firmware fix when it’s ready ^^.

2 Likes

Oh wow - yes that makes sense now on why we were seeing this problem rotate between devices (I wasn’t checking to see if a device was connected to the LAN at the time).

It is a very common use case for remote worker scenarios. Normal practice for them to connect/disconnect their laptop from the LAN as they take their laptop with them.

It’s good to know though that this isn’t impacting functionality then… Just a disconcerting feeling to see the stuck state in monitoring the tunnels.

Look forward to the firmware update.

Thank you!

1 Like

JFYI for anyone else coming across this issue…

Peplink support provided custom firmware that appears to have resolved this bug for us.

Not sure if they’re planning to push it out or not…

Guys, the special firmware is ready, and we have created a post with the details.

Update: The URL link was updated.

4 Likes

https://forum.peplink.com/t/known-issue-v841-speedfusion-may-get-stuck-on-updating-routes-if-no-devices-are-connected-to-lan-port/65e156c9947a46c918459c72/3

2 Likes

Hi @WeiMing,
could you please repost the Link. This is not available since the Forum has moved

Thanks
Dennis

@dennis.hofheinz Here you go, the link is here

1 Like