SpeedFusion Cloud questions

I do not understand SpeedFusion with or without its cloud. Tried to get up to speed a few times, but … no. So, I kicked the tires using a Balance 20x with a single WAN connection.

Its a VPN! who knew? SFC looks like IPsec with an outbound connection to port 4500. A device assigned to SFC gets a new public IP.

My question: Compare and contrast, for a single WAN user, SFC vs. the OpenVPN client.

Specific questions: Who does DNS for a router client assigned to SFC? Also, I could not find an on/off switch. Is there one? I had to delete all the locations.
Thanks in advance.

SFC is a way to bond multiple connections very very easily. It has lots of clever stuff you can turn on, like WAN smoothing, Forward Error Correction and seamless hot-failover between those multiple Links. For a single link, the primary benefit of SFC is the ability to choose which location to break out to the internet from. The other thing I frequently do is turn on FEC to combat packet loss on a single link. The purpose of SFC is not privacy but application reliability using multiple links (and to a lesser extent bandwidth bonding).

OpenVPN has none of the clever multi-wan stuff as its not multi-wan aware and requires a non Peplink VPN service to be bought and paid for (NordVPN, ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN etc). There are more VPN service providers available globally. Most people use OpenVPN services for privacy purposes I would suspect (and enterprise networks access for those poor networks that don’t have a Peplink yet).

SpeedFusion VPN itself (with a private hub located in your own datacentre or run by you in a public datacentre) is more directly comparable to OpenVPN in that this can be more about privacy and used by enterprises to connect remote staff and their office locations.

Google I suspect.

Deleting locations turns it off. Also you can be more granular about which connections use SFC or not instead of removing the locations.

1 Like

SFC is a way to bond multiple connections very very easily.
That much (little?) I understood. So why its available on the one-WAN-at-a-time Surf SOHO is puzzling.

… turn on FEC to combat packet loss on a single link.
Thanks.

Who does DNS for a router client assigned to SFC?
FYI. Lots of DNS tester websites listed here
Test Your DNS Servers - RouterSecurity.org

Deleting locations turns it off.
thanks again.

When using Speedfusion cloud you can bond Wired WAN and WiFi WAN on a SOHO.

Wow. Thanks Martin.

1 Like