SIM card wont connect - stuck on obtaining IP address

Hi.

I was wondering if i could get some advice please. I currently have a Pepwave MAX HD4 MediaFast, and I have 2x roaming sim cards in and I am using 2x local sims.

The application is on a motor yacht so we are in the footprint most of the time for the local sims to be used.

I have recently had an issue where the local sims are not getting used. the only connection I have to the WAN is through the roaming sim cards. The Dashboard is showing that cellular 1 & 2 are connected priority 1(roaming SIMs), but when i move the local sims up to priority 1 from disabled they are just stuck at “Obtaining IP address” I can see that there is signal there but its not connecting.

The local cards we are using are COSMOTE (greek) prepaid with 50gb of data, I’ve tried several new identical sim cards with the same result not being able to connect.

I have checked the details of each cellular and can see that the local sim cards are not obtaining a DNS server address. I have also deselected this option and tried the other option of manually inputting the DNS server addresses. e.g 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I also have an error message at the bottom of the dashboard page with the following

An error occurred in the Content Hub storage. Please contact distributor for support. (F112)

Can anyone please advise. I need to be able to use both the local sim cards and roaming sim cards as priority 1.

Thank you in advance for any support.

Kind regards

Neal

The Obtaining IP address message is nearly always an indication of failed APN settings / authentication and or a SIM card that has not been activated yet.

looks like the COSMOTE APN name is internet. Try setting that as a custom APN manually in the cellular details page and see if that helps:

If not, put the sim in something else and check that it works.

2 Likes

Hi Martin thanks for getting back to me.

I have already done this as this is how the cards have been set up in the past. I think the issue is coming from the DNS server address. Looking at cellular 1 & 2 (the roaming cards) they are set to auto and display the IP addresses. However on the local sim it doesn’t matter weather or not i select auto or opt for manual input of the addresses and save&apply it still doesn’t come up with anything.

I have tried to upload a snip here but it doesn’t look like its done it properly.

Is there some other settings i need to check?

Thank you again.

Neal

Hello @etoclio,
For various reasons, mobile/cellular carries change the way there networks behave in a region from time to time, it is worth checking the Cellular Firmware is up to date.

Please have a look at doing this process explained by @Zach_Tangen here and see how you go.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

I have MAX BR1 LTEA IP67 with a firmware 8.0.0 and active Verizon SIM card inserted. The sim card is detected with LTE network but it keeps stuck “obtaining ip address”. Please give me advice how to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Teddy

Thank you for your response. The firmware is up to date, but i am still experiencing the same issues… Any further advice is well recieved.

Thank you in advance

Hi Marcus,

I hope you are well, and thank you for the information you have given me so far on my current issue.

I am still experiencing the exact same issue with only the local cards. We have moved location and I have put some different local
cards in now which I have proven both for speed, latency and data capacity on my mobile before inserting into the Pepwave. We have managed to get by, because as well as using the local cards I also have data roaming cards which we have a rolling contract on
for data and they work (slots 1 & 2) however they suffer with some latency due to the roaming and I need to get the local cards working asap for the best connection possible.

I am now using WIND SimpleFi data only (40Gb) local SIM cards in slots 3 & 4 of the pepwave (HD4 MAX) I have triple checked the correct
APN details which are correct. I just keep on getting the same “Obtaining IP Address” for both cards…. Is there something else I can do? I know I have the latest Firmware update. I knowthe APN details are correct.

Any Advice is most welcomed. Thank you in advance,

I am still experiencing the exact same issue with only the local cards. We have moved location and I have put some different local cards in now which I have proven both for speed, latency and data capacity on my mobile before inserting into the Pepwave. We have managed to get by, because as well as using the local cards I also have data roaming cards which we have a rolling contract on for data and they work (slots 1 & 2) however they suffer with some latency due to the roaming and I need to get the local cards working asap for the best connection possible.

I am now using WIND SimpleFi data only (40Gb) local SIM cards in slots 3 & 4 of the pepwave (HD4 MAX) I have triple checked the correct APN details which are correct. I just keep on getting the same “Obtaining IP Address” for both cards…. Is there something else I can do? I know I have the latest Firmware update. I knowthe APN details are correct.

Any Advice is most welcomed. Thank you in advance,