Question about router throughput/

I’m currently using a Linksys LRT224 as my Dual-WAN Load balancing router, but I would like to upgrade to a triple WAN solution.

Currently I’m eyeing the Peplink Balance One. I’ll be connecting to 3 X 175 mbps connections.

I noticed the “Router Throughput” is listed as 400 mb/s when using 3 X WAN connections. Now does that mean each WAN is limited to 400 mb/s, or does that mean I’ll have a maximum of 400 mb/s download speeds with all three connections in Load Balance mode? I’d like to be able to max out my speeds (3 X 175 mb/s = 525 mb/s).

If the Balance One can only handle 400 mb/s what would the cheapest solution be for me to achieve the 525 mb/s downloads?

Thanks!

@Haunebu81 Router throughput you see is referring to the combined total of the WANs throughput that it can support. Hence, for your case the minimum will be a Peplink Balance 305.

Just curious though, is this a home deployment, or small office? Any specific problem you’re experiencing now for you to attempt for a triple WAN solution?

1 Like

It’s for my home office, running six servers and a few other PC’s. My Linksys LRT224 can only handle Dual Wan, so I’m looking for an upgrade to a triple WAN router. What would my cheapest Peplink option be if I want Triple WAN support and be able to max out my 3 X 175mb/s (525 mb/s) connections? My 2 X 175 mb/s connections are getting slow and saturated, so I’m looking to add a third line.

What kind of servers are you running? That is a lot of bandwith for a home office. Telling me that it is “none ya business” is a very acceptable response🤓

A little disclaimer… getting full utilization of all links will require some work on your end. It sounds like you know your traffic, so you should be able to accomplish it.

Another option would be a second dual wan router and force some traffic to make a second hop. Depending on your scenario, this may be acceptable. You would end up with 4 WAN interfaces, but one would be used to route from one router to the other, but you would have three total at the end.

1 Like

Interesting.

Do you have a link that shows me how I can combine two dual WAN routers that will allow me to load balance four WAN connections?

[Updated: Corrected line-up for two Balance Core units to handle three WANs at speed]

I have not stress-tested this but I tried a setup similar to this:

One Balance One Core (I) (2 WANs)
One Balance One Core (II) (2 WANS)

Three external WANS: A, B, C
A and B → Balance Core (I) WAN 1, 2
C → Balance One Core (II) WAN 1

Balance Core (I) LAN → Balance Core (II) WAN 2

That should handle the aggregated bandwidth.

I tried had this setup with Balance 30 + Balance One (I was not concerned about bandwidth in that set-up). Worked like a charm.

1 Like

Sorry, those instructions are a bit unclear for me.

Are you sure you typed these line correctly?
“Balance Core (I) WAN → Balance Core (I) LAN 1”
“Balance Core (II) LAN 1 → Balance One (II) WAN 2”

Also, are you referring to three routers, or two?

I must have been tired - corrected write-up is in the previous posting.

That’s exactly how I have it set up on my two Linksys LRT224’s, but for some reason I’m only getting the speeds of two combined connections, rather than three. If I run speed tests on the second router with only one WAN port plugged in, it works as expected on each WAN. I made sure load balancing was enabled too.

I set the second WAN to use a LAN IP of 192.168.2.1 and WAN IP of 192.168.1.49

I know this isn’t Linksys support, but I’m out of ideas. Getting two Peplink Balance One’s would cost me more than I’d like to spend. :frowning:

If only the max router throughput on the balance one using three WAN’s was a bit more than 400 mb/s. I’d get rid of my Linksys’ and pick one up!

I have no experience with Linksys - but just a sanity check:
Using the same naming scheme as above (with “linksys” instead of “Balance Core”) have you set the WAN2 capacity of Linksys II (“II.WAN2”) to 350 Mbps? And the capacity of II.WAN1 and I.Wan1 and I.WAN2 each to 175 Mbps? And the load balancing to the ratio 1:2 for II.WAN1 and II.WAN2?

Just checking.

On a ROI note: It sounds like what you really need is a Balance 305. Quite a bit more expensive than two Balance One Cores, but the hazzle of setting it up and documenting/maintaining it goes to $0.00 compared to the jury-rigging of two Balance One Cores.

The time you spend on this system may have a cost, too, that should be factored in.

Yes, I set the bandwidth speeds accordingly and tried tinkering around with them quite a bit with no luck…

There’s a Balance 305 on ebay right now for $500 USD… Tempting. I bet Peplink is far superior than Linksys anyway. Maybe i’ll pull the trigger and grab it.

You should confirm the FW version first. Many of the cheaper 305/380s, etc., on eBay are old, often HW 1, units that may not support recent FW versions. Also I think the throughput on the older models was lower than the current ones.

That would probably not work for you. You need HW2 to get 1Gbps throughput - HW1 is only 200Mbps: Throughput specs
It seems unlikely that $500 will get you the latest hardware.