Product FAQ - Wi-Fi - AP One AX

Is the AP One AX suitable for me?

What is the AP One AX?

The AP One AX is an access point that works seamlessly with other services in the Peplink ecosystem, providing unique network capabilities, unmatched network flexibility and ease of use. Ideal for those needing an enterprise network extended that offers better coverage and speed with Wi-Fi 6.

How fast is the AP One AX?

The data rate of 2.4 GHz is up to 1148 Mbps, while that of 5 GHz is up to 2400 Mbps. You can find the complete spec sheet here.

What is Wi-Fi 6?

Wi-Fi 6 (also known as 802.11ax) is the new generation of Wi-Fi technology focusing on capacity, efficiency, and performance. Wi-Fi 6 is able to deliver greater throughput (45% faster than Wi-Fi 5), has extended range, improved security and better power efficiency. Wi-Fi 6 works best in densely populated environments where many different connections are competing for bandwidth. These upgrades, namely MU-MIMO, OFDMA, BSS coloring and Target Wake Time (TWT), open a window of opportunity for the Internet of Things (IoT), Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR), 4K & 8K streaming and broadcasting; bringing a new technological progression for businesses and consumers.

What certifications does the AP One AX have?

The AP One AX has certifications on FCC, CE, RoHS.

What are the benefits of having the AP One AX support 802.11k, v, and r?

The use of this technology will reduce the time for scanning between APs, improve wireless LAN quality, and quicken the authentication process. Providing users with a more seamless roaming experience between access points.

Why does the AP One AX come with a 2.5GB Ethernet WAN port?

This is a future-proof design and you can instantly migrate to the faster Ethernet once the technology and hardware are ready.

Does the AP One AX come with a power supply?

No, it doesn’t. If your router/switch doesn’t support PoE output, you can use a PoE Injector (ACW-107) to add power to an unpowered Ethernet connection or a standard 12V3A power supply would work.
The AP One AX supports 802.3at PoE input. We recommend pairing the AP One AX with PoE network switches or routers with PoE output to eliminate the cost of installing additional electrical wiring and the time of managing cable clutter.

How do I choose between the AP One AX and the AP One AX Lite?

AP One AX AP One AX Lite
Quick Look
Ethernet Port 2.5 (GE) 1 (GE)
Wi-Fi Standard Wi-Fi 6 Wi-Fi 6
MIMO 4x4 MIMO 2x2 MIMO
2.4 GHz up to 1148 Mbps up to 574 Mbps
5 GHz up to 2400 Mbps up to 1200 Mbps
Channel Width 20/40/60/80 MHz 20/40/80 MHz
Recommended clients per Radio 256 256
SSID Per Radio 16 16
Hardware
Antenna Type Built-in Omni Built-in Omni
Antenna Gain 2.4GHz: 5dBi 2.4GHz: 3dBi
5GHz: 5dBi 5GHz: 3dBi
Dimensions 8.1 x 8.1 x 1.3 inches 5.9 x 5.9 x 1.3 inches
205 x 205 x 32 mm 160 x 160 x 33 mm
Weight 1.73 pounds / 785 grams 0.84 pounds / 382 grams
Operations
PoE Input 802.3at PoE 802.3at PoE
Power Consumption 23W (max.) 14.5W (max.)

The AP One AX is an enterprise-grade Wi-Fi 6 access point that is suitable for high-density client device environments. With 4x4 MIMO (4 transmitters & 4 receivers) and high throughput, it can send and receive multiple streams of data to multiple devices simultaneously without sacrificing speed. This powerhouse can provide great range and wide wireless coverage.

The AP One AX Lite is suitable for small enterprises or mobile deployment. The less power-hungry and smaller form factor design provides adequate coverage for the user who wants to experience all the good things that Wi-Fi 6 brings to the table.

What is the best use case for the AP One AX?

From adding a Wi-Fi network to your environment, extending wireless coverage to adding additional APs to support more clients, the AP One AX has got you covered. Click here and we can work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance together.

What if I need 2 separate Wi-Fi networks, 1 for employees and 1 for visitors?

You can create 2 separate Wi-Fi networks with “Layer 2 Isolation” or “Guest Protect” for privacy and security. These are two similar features but different in some ways.
When “Layer 2 Isolation” is enabled, it will block the communication between Wi-Fi clients within the same VLAN, SSID or subnet, while the “Guest Protect” feature will block communication between a Wi-Fi client and wired clients within the same VLAN and clients from other VLANs.
You can learn more about Layer 2 Isolation and about Guest Protect here.

What does the AP One AX include?

What’s in the box?

Along with the access point, there are 2 x ceiling mount bases (9/16” T-Rail & 15/16” T-Rail) and 1 x mounting screw set.

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis.

EssentialCare
AP One AX 1-Year | 2-Year

Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

Using the AP One AX

What voltage is required?

You can power it with a 12V2.5A DC Connector or 802.3at PoE input.

What is the maximum power consumption?

The maximum power consumption is 28W.

How far should the AP One AX’s cable run?

The ideal Ethernet cable length is a maximum of 328ft/100m. However, for the best performance and connection stability, we recommend a maximum of 263ft/80m in case the Ethernet cable quality is not perfect.

How many ways can I mount the AP One AX?

The AP One AX comes with two sizes of mounting brackets and a mounting screw set. You can either use the ceiling mount or the wall mount with ease. To learn how to mount the AP One AX, you can view the installation guide here.

Can the AP One AX be remotely managed?

The AP One AX can be remotely managed by Peplink’s AP Controller or InControl2.

What is the AP Controller?

Peplink’s AP Controller is a software-based AP management tool built into all Balance and selected MAX routers, which doesn’t require an active warranty or subscription. Our AP Controller is available in 2 versions: AP Controller Standard and AP Controller Pro.
AP Controller Standard supports up to 2 configuration profiles with multiple SSIDs, meaning that all APs will share the same configuration, and you can only manage APs on the local physical LAN.
AP Controller Pro supports multiple configuration profiles coupled with multiple SSIDs, and you can manage remote APs outside the local physical LAN. The Pro version also supports an extra license upgrade to manage more APs.

What is InControl2?

InControl is our cloud-based endpoint management system. It allows you to manage an entire network ecosystem for all connectivity needs, whether Balance or MAX router, SD-Switch, Access Point, or FusionHub.
Using InControl, you can save configuration time, minimize truck rolls, stay on top of the status of your network, and proactively resolve any emerging problems with speed and precision.

Which Peplink/Pepwave devices support Peplink’s AP Controller?

To know if a device supports Peplink’s AP Controller, you may view our Balance/MAX Series Comparison Table here. Select the model you wish to check then scroll down and expand the “Features” tab. In the expanded tab, if “Yes” is stated under “Pepwave AP Series Management”, this device supports AP Controller Standard. If “Yes” is stated under “Remote AP & Multiple Config Profiles Management”, this device supports AP Controller Pro. Otherwise, this device does not support Peplink’s AP Controller.

Can I manage my Pepwave APs with both InControl 2 and AP Controller at the same time?

No. All Pepwave AP One and AP Pro devices will be automatically managed by Peplink’s AP Controller when the feature is enabled. To manage your devices with InControl 2, you will first need to disable the AP Controller feature on your Peplink Balance/Pepwave MAX.

How do I set up social Wi-Fi and apply the Wi-Fi profiles to my Wi-Fi APs?

For a complete guide on how to set up advanced guest Wi-Fi solutions for your business, click here.

Can I set multiple captive portal profiles with the AP controller?

No. A single Peplink router can create and maintain only one captive portal profile. All AP One devices connected to the same Peplink router with a captive portal enabled will be directed to the same portal page.

Can the AP One AX support Wi-Fi mesh?

Yes. Wi-Fi mesh supports firmware 8.1.1 and Peplink routers with Wi-Fi protocol 802.11ac or above. This, along with the AP Controller, allows for mesh network extension.

What is Wi-Fi mesh?

Wi-Fi mesh is the ability to connect wirelessly to another intermediate AP within the same WAN without the need for an Ethernet connection, providing redundancy in case of AP failure.
With mesh support, you are able to add wireless mesh APs to the network, so you can enhance coverage in areas that you are unable to run Ethernet to. This allows you to wirelessly expand your Wi-Fi coverage using other Peplink APs.
Check out this article for a complete setup guide or click here to watch a video explaining how to do so.

Licenses and Accessories

Where can I get the InControl2 license?

The AP One AX comes with a year’s subscription to InControl 2 (IC2) with a valid warranty. No additional purchase is required.
Care plans can be purchased from our Certified Partners or directly from the Peplink eStore at the time of the sale or thereafter.

EssentialCare
AP One AX 1-Year | 2-Year

What is a PoE Injector (ACW-107)?

A PoE Injector(ACW-107) adds power to an unpowered Ethernet connection, making it capable of delivering 802.11af/802.11at power.
You can learn more about it here.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

First, Peplink Partners are proud to always provide support to you, our users, so always reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Our regular forum users include Peplink Partners, the Peplink team, and many knowledgeable users. Generally, folks with questions get answers rather quickly.
In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can directly enter a support ticket with Peplink. You will then receive attention from some of the best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no other.

I can’t access the Internet via the AP One AX. So, what can I do?

Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic software walkthrough and troubleshooting guide. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us on our forum, and the team will get you online.

1 Like