Product FAQ - MAX Series - MAX Transit Duo Pro

Is the MAX Transit Duo Pro suitable for me?

What is the MAX Transit Duo Pro?

The MAX Transit Duo Pro is an industrial-grade mobile workhorse. It comes with two embedded cellular modems, advanced GPS fleet tracking, dual-band Wi-Fi 6, and multiple power input options, making it ideal for on-the-go applications.

How fast is this device?

The MAX Transit Duo Pro has a rated throughput of 1 Gbps. In addition, the LTE (CAT-12) modem has a 600Mb/sec downlink data rate and a 150Mb/sec uplink data rate. The LTE (CAT-7) modem has a 300Mb/sec downlink data rate and a 150Mb/sec uplink data rate.
You can find the complete spec sheet here.

Is it suitable for mobile use?

Certainly! It is suitable for mobile use with its rugged metal enclosure. It can function in ambient temperatures ranging from -40 oF to +149 oF. There is an equipped terminal block, industrial microfit power connector, and USB-C power input for secure power installation in vehicles and extreme locations.

What certifications does the MAX Transit Duo Pro have?

The MAX Transit Duo Pro has FCC, CE, and RoHS certifications.

Does the MAX Transit Duo Pro have the same features as the current Transit Series?

The MAX Transit Duo Pro shares the same form factor as the MAX Transit and MAX Transit Duo while receiving some feature upgrades from the current generation.
Having more than double the throughput and SpeedFusion speed, the MAX Transit Duo Pro can now handle more bandwidth-demanding applications and activities with ease. The upgrade from Wi-Fi 5 to Wi-Fi 6 delivers secure and better coverage yet blazing-fast Wi-Fi to more clients. With the support of ignition sensing, the MAX Transit Duo Pro can power off after a user-defined time interval when the vehicle is shut down, avoiding excessive battery drain.

MAX Transit Duo Pro MAX Transit & Transit Duo
Quick Look
Router Throughput 1Gbps 400Mbps
SpeedFusion VPN Throughput (No Encryption) 400Mbps 100Mbps
SpeedFusion VPN Throughput (256-bit AES) 200Mbps 60Mbps
Interface
Wi-Fi Wi-Fi 6 Wi-Fi 5
Power Input
Terminal block Yes Yes
4pin Molex Micro-fit Connector Yes No
Coaxial power connector No Yes
USB 2x USB-C 2x Micro-USB
Features
SpeedFusion Hot Failover Yes ^ Yes ^
SpeedFusion WAN Smoothing Yes ^ Yes ^
SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding Yes ^ Yes ^
Ignition Sensing Yes No

^ Requires PrimeCare Subscription, complimentary for the first year

What is SpeedFusion Connect 5G/LTE?

With Speedfusion Connect 5G/LTE, you can access on-demand data plans and only pay for what you need. SpeedFusion Connect 5G/LTE is an all-in-one solution offering access to not only SpeedFusion Connect Protect but also LTE data. Click here to learn more.

Does the MAX Transit Duo Pro support the SIM Injector?

Yes, it does. Use the SIM Injector to add another 8 SIM cards to your deployment, giving you the ability to connect to multiple carriers. In addition to adding SIM capacity, the SIM Injector also adds 100 meters of flexibility between the router and SIM cards, enabling you to place the cellular router anywhere you want without having to worry about changing SIM cards. Not sure how to configure this? No worries! Click here to learn more.

What is the best use case for the MAX Transit Duo Pro?

The answer isn’t set in stone. From broadcasting, to transportation or public safety, the MAX Transit Duo Pro has got you covered. Click here and we can work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance.

What does the MAX Transit Duo Pro include?

What’s in the box?

Along with the router, there is a 12V2A power supply, 2 x dual-band Wi-Fi antennas, 1 x GPS active antenna, 4 x LTE antennas, 1 x pair of mounting brackets, and 1 x 6pin terminal block connector.

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis.

PrimeCare Model (SKU no. ending with -PRM) PrimeCare
MAX Transit Duo Pro (CAT-7 x2) - APAC & EMEA (MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-E-T-PRM) 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year
MAX Transit Duo Pro (CAT-12 x2) - APAC & EMEA (MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-D-T-PRM) 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year
Max Transit Duo Pro (CAT-7 & CAT-12) - North America (MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-USR-T-PRM) 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year

What is PrimeCare?

PrimeCare makes SpeedFusion networks easier to build. It’s a subscription that bundles InControl, Warranty, SpeedFusion license upgrades, and FusionHub Licenses with standard RMA.

How do I know whether my router is a PrimeCare device?

If you look at the silver label underneath your device, the SKU of your product should have a -PRM suffix.

What is SpeedFusion Connect Protect?

SpeedFusion Connect Protect is Peplink’s global network of SpeedFusion endpoints. With an active CarePlan or SpeedFusion Connect Protect data plan you can utilize SpeedFusion wherever you are, eliminating the need for any additional hardware. Unsure of what you need? Check out this useful post.

Does the MAX Transit Duo Pro employ Peplink’s SpeedFusion technology or SpeedFusion VPN?

SpeedFusion VPN is included in all products. For the MAX Transit Duo Pro, you can fully utilize SpeedFusion technology, including Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, and Bandwidth Bonding without purchasing additional licenses. As long as the device is under a PrimeCare plan, SpeedFusion functionality will remain.

What is SpeedFusion technology?

Peplink’s patented SpeedFusion technology is a powerful VPN tunnel equipped with a variety of technologies such as Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, Bandwidth Bonding, and much more. This empowers users with the flexibility and tools required to achieve unbreakable connectivity in any vertical or scenario that they might find themselves in. Click here to learn more about SpeedFusion.

How can I purchase a license for SpeedFusion Connect Protect with higher traffic speed and additional usage?

That’s easy! You can purchase a license here.

Using the MAX Transit Duo Pro

What size should the SIMs be?

The MAX Transit Duo Pro uses Nano-SIM (4FF).

I see the unit has 4 SIM slots. Can they be used simultaneously?

With 2 cellular modems, you can load 4 SIMs and switch between them, but only 2 can be used at a time.
As different carriers will have slightly different coverage maps, you can use up to 4 different cellular providers for better network coverage and stability. You can also benefit from bandwidth bonding, data overage protection, or eliminating blind spots with 4 SIMs available.

What voltage is required?

You can power the MAX Transit Duo Pro with a 12V - 56V header (6-pin Terminal Block) or the 4pin AC plug-in-wall power supply or one of the two USB-C PD ports.

The USB-C PD ports support 9-20V input range. Acceptable voltages are:

1. 9V, 3A
  2. 12V, 3A
  3. 15V, 3A
  4. 20V, 3A

Note: 5V is not supported.

The MAX Transit Duo Pro is equipped with 4 power inputs. You can seamlessly switch between 4 of them. Only 1 of each is needed to function, ensuring continuous power delivery even if a cable gets disconnected or if a power supply drops out for any reason.

What is the typical power consumption and the maximum power consumption?

The typical power consumption is 10W and the maximum power consumption is 18W.

Is there a way to protect vehicle batteries from drainage by the MAX Transit Duo Pro?

Yes. The MAX Transit Duo Pro is equipped with a power port with ignition sensing that enables ignition sensing features. Ignition sensing is an electronic device’s ability to be connected to a vehicle’s ignition for sensing when it is turned on or off. This can be used to synchronize and automate the process of turning on electronic devices in vehicles such as dash-cams and radios.

How can I set up GPIO?

You can learn more about the GPIO setup from our Ignition Sensing guide.

Does the MAX Transit Duo Pro employ WAN as LAN features?

Yes. The WAN port can be configured as a LAN port on the Web Admin.

Does the MAX Transit Duo Pro support Band 71?

As Band 71 is provided by American internet service provider T-Mobile, only the Transit Duo Pro model for America Region (SKU: MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-USR-T- PRM) supports Band 71.
In order to use Band 71, please insert your T-Mobile SIM into Cellular Slot 1. The MAX Transit Duo Pro’s dual cellular modems have different band frequencies, providing better carrier coverage.

Licenses and Accessories

Where can I get the InControl 2 license?

Every MAX Transit Duo Pro comes with a year’s subscription to InControl 2 (IC2) with a valid warranty. Additional purchase is not required.

PrimeCare devices (SKU no. ending with -PRM) will need to be in PrimeCare in order to use InControl.

PrimeCare Model (SKU no. ending with -PRM) PrimeCare
MAX Transit Duo Pro (CAT-7 x2) - APAC & EMEA MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-E-T-PRM 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year
MAX Transit Duo Pro (CAT-12 x2) - APAC & EMEA MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-D-T-PRM 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year
MAX Transit Duo Pro (CAT-7 & CAT-12) - North America MAX-TST-PRO-DUO-LTEA-USR-T-PRM 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year

Can it connect to an OpenVPN server from a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc)?

Yes. An optional license (LIC-OPN-WAN) will enable the OpenVPN WAN functionality.

What if I need more than 2 SpeedFusion VPN Peers?

The MAX Transit Duo Pro has the “built-in” capability for 2 SpeedFusion VPN Peers. To enable 5 SpeedFusion VPN Peers, you will need a PrimeCare subscription.

Can I connect PrimeCare devices to my existing FusionHubs?

Yes, you can. PrimeCare devices will not count towards the peer limit of any FusionHub that it is connected to. For example, a FusionHub 20 normally supports up to 20 peers. This is particularly useful for connecting numerous sites that require little bandwidth such as PoS Terminals.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

Peplink Partners are always happy to provide support to their product users, so reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Among the regular forum users are Peplink Partners, Peplink employees, and many very knowledgeable users. Generally, people with questions get answers rather quickly. In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can enter a support ticket with Peplink directly. You will then receive attention from some of our best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no one else in the business.

I can’t access the Internet via the MAX Transit Duo Pro, what can I do?

Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic software walkthrough and troubleshooting guide. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us on our forum, and the team will get you online.