Product FAQ - MAX Series - MAX Transit Core

Is the Transit Core suitable for me?

What is the Transit Core?

The Transit Core is an industrial-ready router with GPIO or terminal block power capability, advanced GPS fleet tracking, and remote management, all packed into a durable metal enclosure.

What is the speed of the Transit Core?

The Transit Core has a rated throughput of 400Mb/sec.
The LTE-A Pro (CAT-12) Modem of the Transit Core has a 600Mb/sec downlink data rate and a 150Mb/sec uplink data rate.
You can find the complete spec sheet here.

Is the Transit Core suitable for mobile use?

Certainly! It is suitable for mobile use with its rugged metal enclosure. It can function in ambient temperatures ranging from -40 oF to +149 oF. There is an equipped terminal block for secure power installation in vehicles and extreme locations.

What certifications does the Transit Core have?

The Transit Core has FCC, RoHS certifications.

Can the Transit Core meet strict security compliance requirements?

Built without Wi-Fi, the Transit Core is an excellent choice for deployments with strict security standards.

Can I get Wi-Fi with the Transit Core?

The Transit Core supports 802.3at PoE output.** **If a Wi-Fi connection is something you want to add, then you can pair it with our PoE compatible access point to add a dual-band Wi-Fi to your environment.

Does the Transit Core have the same WAN & LAN interface as the current MAX Transit Series?

The Transit Core shares the same form factor with the current Transit models (MAX Transit & MAX Transit Duo) while having 2 extra gigabit Ethernet ports. The Quad gigabit Ethernet ports (3 x LAN & 1 x WAN) interface allows you to connect more wired devices like voice over IP phones, laptops, and desktops to create a complete mobile workstation.

What are the differences between the Transit Duo, Transit Core, and Transit Pro E? How to choose between them?

Transit Duo Transit Core Transit Pro E
Quick Look
Cellular 2 2 2
Ethernet WAN 1 (GE) 1 (GE) 1 (GE)
Ethernet LAN 1 (GE) 3 (GE) 3 (GE)
Router Throughput 400Mbps 400Mbps 400Mbps
Wi-Fi Wi-Fi 5 No Wi-Fi 5
Interface & Feature
GPIO No Yes Yes
Ignition Sensing No Yes Yes
Micro-USB B power input Yes No No
Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) Output No 802.3at PoE 802.3at PoE

The Transit Duo is built for transportation deployments with all the fundamental features you need, dual cellular modems for Hot Failover & Bandwidth Bonding, wired Ethernet connections, and Wi-Fi.

The Transit Core practically comes with all the core features that a Transit Duo has. On top of that, it features 2 extra Ethernet LANs, ignition sensing, direct connection to vehicle power, and PoE output, a perfect router for a mobile workstation. In addition, it is specifically designed for deployment that must comply with strict security standards as it does not have integrated Wi-Fi.

The Transit Pro E practically comes with all the core features that a Transit Duo has. On top of that, it features 2 extra Ethernet LANs, ignition sensing, direct connection to vehicle power, and PoE output, a perfect router for a mobile workstation. It is also suitable for users who require Wi-Fi for day-to-day operations.

What is the best use case for the Transit Core?

The answer isn’t set in stone. From broadcasting, transportation to public safety, the Transit Core has you covered. Together, we can work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance. Click here to get started.

What does the Transit Core include?

What’s in the box?

Along with the router, there is 1x 12V2A 4pin power supply, 4x LTE Antennas, 1x GPS Active Antenna, 1x pair of mounting brackets, and 1x 6pin Terminal Block Connector.

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis.

PrimeCare Model (SKU no. ending with -PRM) PrimeCare
Transit Core (CAT-12) - America MAX-TST-DUO-CORE-LTEA-R-T-PRM 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year

Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

What is PrimeCare?

PrimeCare makes SpeedFusion networks easier to build. It’s a subscription that bundles InControl, Warranty, SpeedFusion license upgrades, and FusionHub Licenses with standard RMA.

How do I know whether my router is a PrimeCare device?

If you look at the silver label underneath your device, the SKU of your product will have a -PRM suffix.

What is SpeedFusion Cloud?

SpeedFusion Cloud is Peplink’s global network of SpeedFusion endpoints. With an active CarePlan or SpeedFusion Cloud data plan, you can utilize SpeedFusion wherever you are, eliminating the need for any additional hardware. Unsure of what you need? Check out this helpful post.

Does the Transit Core employ Peplink’s SpeedFusion technology or PepVPN?

All Peplink products include PepVPN.

You can fully utilize the SpeedFusion technology for the Transit Core, including the Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, and Bandwidth Bonding without purchasing additional licenses.

As long as the device remains in PrimeCare, SpeedFusion functionality will remain.

What is SpeedFusion technology?

Peplink’s patented SpeedFusion technology is a powerful VPN tunnel equipped with various technologies, including Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, Bandwidth Bonding, and much more. This functionality gives you the flexibility and tools required to achieve unbreakable connectivity in any vertical or scenario that they might find themselves in. Click here to learn more about SpeedFusion.

How can I purchase a license for SpeedFusion Cloud with higher traffic speed and additional usage?

Easy. Look here!

Using the Transit Core

What size should the SIMs be?

The Transit Core uses Mini-SIMs (2FF). If you have SIMs of a smaller size, adapters are available.

I see the unit has 4 x SIM slots. Can they be used simultaneously?

With 2 cellular modems, you can load 4 SIMs and switch between them, but only 2 can be used at a time.

Different carriers will have slightly different coverage maps, so you can use up to 4 different cellular providers for better network coverage and stability. You can also benefit from bandwidth bonding, data overage protection, or eliminating blind spots with 4 SIMs available.

What voltage does the Transit Core require?

You can power it with a 12V - 56V header (6pin Terminal Block) or the 4pin AC plug-in-wall power supply that comes with the package.

The Transit Core features 2 power inputs. You can seamlessly switch between 2 of them. Only 1 of each is needed to function, ensuring continuous power delivery even if a cable gets disconnected or if a power supply drops out for any reason.

What is the typical power consumption and the maximum power consumption?

The typical power consumption is 7W, and the maximum power consumption is 18W.

Does the Transit Core support power over Ethernet (PoE)?

LAN 1 can support 802.3at PoE output with a minimum of 48V power input via the terminal block or a 54V PSU with a 4pin Power Supply. That way, you can hook PoE-powered devices such as IP phones, payment terminals, security cameras, or access points. Perfect for cutting down on cabling and simplifying deployments.

Can the Transit Core be remotely managed?

The Transit Core comes with a 1-year PrimeCare subscription, which includes InControl 2.

InControl 2 provides full-fleet device management and a real-time geographic overview of the entire fleet when used in combination with our vehicle-mounted, GPS-enabled devices like the Transit Core. In addition, our cloud-based endpoint management system, InControl 2, allows for zero-touch configurations to end devices from a single screen, even remotely. On a more granular scale, vehicles can be isolated and tracked separately for close monitoring and management. InControl 2 has helped thousands of people to save configuration time, minimize truck rolls, stay on top of the status of your network, and proactively resolve any emerging problems with speed and precision.

Is there a way to protect vehicle batteries from drainage by the Transit Core?

Yes. The Transit Core includes a power port with ignition sensing that enables unique features. Ignition Sensing is an electronic device’s ability to connect to a vehicle’s ignition for sensing whether it is on or off. This feature can synchronize and automate turning on electronic devices in vehicles such as dash-cams and radios.

How can I set up GPIO?

You can learn more about the GPIO setup from our Ignition Sensing guide.

Does the Transit Core employ WAN as LAN features?

Yes. You can configure the WAN port as a LAN port on the Web Admin.

Licenses and Accessories

Where can I get the InControl2 license?

Every Transit Core comes with a year’s subscription to InControl 2 (IC2) with a valid warranty; additional purchase is not required.

PrimeCare devices (SKU no. ending with -PRM) will need to be in PrimeCare to use InControl.

PrimeCare Model (SKU no. ending with -PRM) PrimeCare
Transit Core (CAT-12) - America MAX-TST-DUO-CORE-LTEA-R-T-PRM 1-Year | 2-Year | 4-Year

Can it connect to an OpenVPN server from a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc.)?

Yes. An optional license (LIC-OPN-WAN) enables the OpenVPN WAN functionality.

What if I need more than 2 PepVPNs/SpeedFusion Peers?

The Transit Core has the capability for 2 PepVPNs/SpeedFusion Peers built-in.

5 PepVPN/SpeedFusion Peers are available with a PrimeCare subscription.

Can I connect PrimeCare devices to my existing FusionHubs?

Yes, you can. PrimeCare devices will not count towards the peer limit of any connected FusionHub. For example, a FusionHub 20 typically supports up to 20 peers. This feature is particularly useful for connecting numerous sites that require little bandwidth, such as PoS terminals.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

First, Peplink Partners are proud to always support you, our users, so always reach out to the place of purchase first.

For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Among the regular forum, users are Peplink Partners, Peplink employees, and many very knowledgeable users. In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can directly enter a support ticket with Peplink. You will then receive attention from some of the next engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no other.

I can’t access the Internet via the Transit Core. So, what can I do?

Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic software walkthrough and troubleshooting guide. If that doesn’t work, reach out on our forum and the team will get you online.