Product FAQ - MAX Series - MAX HD1 Dome

Is the MAX HD1 Dome suitable for me?

What is the MAX HD1 Dome?

The MAX HD1 Dome is a single cellular router with redundant SIM slots and an IP67 enclosure. It is able to minimize cable loss by optimizing cellular signal quality with its integrated GPS antenna and 4x cellular antennas. The MAX HD1 Dome is also able to provide scalability and ease in your deployment and management.

How fast is the MAX HD1 Dome?

The MAX HD1 Dome supports a theoretical 1.2Gb/sec downlink data rate and a 150Mb/sec uplink data rate. The actual performance may be affected by different variables such as ISP signal quality and environmental absorption. You can find the complete spec sheet here.

What certifications does the MAX HD1 Dome have?

The MAX HD1 Dome has certifications on:
● FCC, CE, RoHS
● RF Port Lightning Immunity: ITU-T K.20 (+/- 1.5kV)
● EN 61000: Electromagnetic Compatibility
Its rugged metal enclosure and certifications allow the MAX HD1 Dome to be deployed in a wide variety of situations.

What is the best use case for the MAX HD1 Dome?

The MAX HD1 Dome provides three great features: minimum cable loss, scalable deployment, and outdoor application.
With its built-in integrated antennas, the MAX HD1 Dome can minimize cable loss, giving you the best possible signal. This makes it a great choice for maritime and transport connectivity.
For scalable deployment, you can install as many Domes as you want for extra cell data transmission, and combine the Domes into a mega-bandwidth channel, offering the fastest and most reliable internet connection. The scalability of the MAX HD1 Dome is suitable for mobile healthcare and remote site connections.
For outdoor applications, the MAX HD1 Dome has a waterproof IP67 enclosure that can withstand dust, vibration, and inclement weather.
Click here and we can work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance together.

What does the MAX HD1 Dome include?

What’s in the box?

Along with the MAX HD1 Dome, there are: 1 x Ethernet Splitter, 2 x Waterproof Ethernet Connectors (ACW-112), and 1 x Mounting Kit set.

MAX HD1 Dome
Ethernet Splitter 1
Waterproof Ethernet Connector (ACW-112) 2
Mounting Kit Set 1

What is an Ethernet Splitter?

An Ethernet Splitter enables an additional GE LAN output for the MAX HD1 Dome. It also provides more deployment flexibility as the included mounting bracket can be used with the Ethernet Splitter.

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis.

Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

What is the difference between EssentialCare and SmartCare?

EssentialCare is a subscription that bundles InControl, a warranty, and SpeedFusion Connect Protect usage into a single package. Click here to learn more about EssentialCare.
SmartCare is similar to EssentialCare. SmartCare also bundles InControl, a warranty, and SpeedFusion Connect Protect usage in a single package. Different from EssentialCare, SmartCare provides advanced hardware placement for Return Material Authorization (RMA).

What is SpeedFusion Connect Protect?

SpeedFusion Connect Protect is Peplink’s global network of SpeedFusion endpoints. With an active CarePlan or SpeedFusion Connect Protect data plan, you can utilize SpeedFusion wherever you are, eliminating the need for any additional hardware.
Unsure of what you need? Check out this helpful post.

How can I purchase a license for SpeedFusion Connect Protect with higher traffic speed and additional usage?

It’s easy. Just look here!

Does the MAX HD1 Dome employ Peplink’s SpeedFusion technology or SpeedFusion VPN?

The MAX HD1 Dome is capable of using SpeedFusion VPN, but not other SpeedFusion technologies.

Using the MAX HD1 Dome

What size should the SIMs be?

The MAX HD1 Dome uses Mini-SIMs (2FF).

Where can I install the SIMs? Is there an installation guide?

Here is the video demonstration on how to install SIMs into your MAX HD1 Dome. You can find the installation guide of the MAX HD1 Dome here.

I see the unit has multiple SIM slots. Can they be used simultaneously?

The MAX HD1 Dome has an LTE modem and two SIM slots. You can load two SIMs and switch between them, but you can only use one SIM at a time.

Is the MAX HD1 Dome a good choice for outdoor applications?

Yes. The MAX HD1 Dome has an Ingress Protection rating of 67 (IP67), making it able to withstand both dust and water. The MAX HD1 Dome has a rugged metal enclosure, making it suitable for long-term outdoor use. Click here to learn more about Peplink’s antenna design and the importance of IP67 rated products.

Why should I use SpeedFusion VPN?

SpeedFusion VPN is a capability built into the MAX HD1 Dome. It permits users to construct a VPN tunnel between Peplink devices. This tunnel may be unencrypted, or more commonly, encrypted with AES 256-bit encryption. For example, if you have a MAX HD1 Dome at an outdoor site and a Peplink Balance series router at another location, you can establish a connection between the two locations, allowing the flow of resources from one location to the other. You can construct either a Layer 2 or a Layer 3 tunnel, with the latter being more common.

Does the MAX HD1 Dome provide GPS tracking?

Yes. The MAX HD1 Dome has an embedded GPS antenna and can provide fleet tracking features through InControl 2, our cloud-based management system. You can keep tabs on locations and manage your mobile network from any device connected to the internet.

What is the maximum power consumption of the MAX HD1 Dome?

The maximum power consumption of the MAX HD1 Dome is 20W.

Does the MAX HD1 Dome support PoE features?

Yes. The MAX HD1 Dome supports 802.3at PoE Input. With the Ethernet Splitter, an additional 802.3af PoE Output is possible.

MAX HD1 Dome & Public Safety

Can the MAX HD1 Dome use Band 71?

Yes. The MAX HD1 Dome can use Band 71. Band 71 is a band frequency provided by T-Mobile, and operates at a 600MHz frequency. These waves travel twice as far and works 4 times better than conventional LTE bands in buildings. You can insert your T-Mobile SIM into any cellular slot in the MAX HD1 Dome to use Band 71.

Licenses and Accessories

Does the MAX HD1 Dome require an external antenna?

The MAX HD1 Dome has embedded internal antennas. Therefore, no external antenna is needed.

How can I subscribe to InControl 2?

The MAX HD1 Dome comes with a 1-year subscription to EssentialCare and access to InControl 2. Both extending EssentialCare beyond the first year and subscribing to SmartCare includes the InControl 2 function.

Can the MAX HD1 Dome overcome spotty coverage issues?

Yes. The MAX HD1 Dome supports up to 2 SIM cards. If extra slots are needed, you can connect the MAX HD1 Dome to a Peplink SIM Injector and add 8 more SIMs to your network. With up to 10 cellular providers to connect to, spotty coverage will simply not be a problem.

Are there any mounting accessories for the MAX HD1 Dome?

Yes. We have rugged mounts for deck and mast installations. The cable is directly fed through the desk or mast, ensuring it is protected all times. Click here to learn more about our Premium Deck Mounts for the MAX HD1 Dome**.**

Can the MAX HD1 Dome connect to an OpenVPN server from a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc)?

Yes. An optional license (LIC-OPN-WAN) will enable the OpenVPN WAN functionality.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

First, Peplink Partners are proud to provide support to our users, so always reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Our regular forum users include Peplink Partners, the Peplink team, and many knowledgeable users. Generally, folks with questions get answers rather quickly.
In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can directly enter a support ticket with Peplink. You will then receive attention from some of the best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no other.

I can’t access the Internet via the MAX HD1 Dome. What can I do?

Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic troubleshooting guide. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us on our forum, and the team will get you online.