Product FAQ - MAX Series - MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20

What is the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20?

What is the MAX BR1 CAT-20?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 is an industrial LTE router equipped with a 2.5Gb/sec WAN port, Wi-Fi 6, and low-profile Form Factor. The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 is integrated with the new generation multi-core CPU that ensures delivery of gigabit speeds.

How fast is this device?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 has a rated throughput of 1Gb/sec. It supports a 2Gb/sec downlink data rate and a 150Mb/sec uplink data rate.
You can view the complete spec sheet here.

What certifications does the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 have?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 has the following certifications:

• FCC, CE, RoHS
  • EN61000: Electromagnetic Compatibility
  • EN50155: Railway Applications - Electronic Equipment used on Rolling Stock

“E-Mark (Motor Vehicle)” & “EN 61373 Shock and Vibration Resistance” certification pending.
The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 also has US Carrier certifications from AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

What is the best use case for the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20?

The answer isn’t set in stone. It has applications from railways and warehouses to manufacturing and transportation. Click here, and together we’ll work out a cost-effective solution with the best overall performance. We will always make it work.

How many ways can it connect to the internet?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 comes with 1 Cellular, 1 Ethernet, and Wi-Fi-as-WAN.

What is included with the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20?

What is in the box?

Along with the router, you’ll find 4x LTE/5G antennas (ACW-234), 2x Wi-Fi Dual-Band antennas (ACW-341), 1x GPS antenna (ACW-232), and 1x 12V2A Power Supply (ACW-632).

Is my product covered under warranty?

Yes, all Peplink products come inclusive of a 1-year warranty. Please ensure your device is sales registered to reflect an accurate warranty start and end date (see below for more detail)

How do I sales register my device?

Maintaining an accurate sales register date will ensure your warranty status is counted from the date of sale rather than the date of delivery.
To sales register your device:

1. Visit access.peplink.com
  2. Login to your existing PeplinkID account or create a new login
  3. Once verified and logged in. Select Device> Register Device
  4. Enter details and Save Changes.

Once updated, the corresponding warranty status will automatically be updated.

Can I extend my warranty beyond its coverage period?

Yes, all warranties can be extended on a year-to-year basis (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year). Renewals can be purchased through our local Peplink Certified Partners or directly from Peplink eStore at the time of sale or any time thereafter.

What is PrimeCare?

PrimeCare is a subscription that bundles InControl, Warranty, SpeedFusion license upgrades, and FusionHub licenses into a single package. Click here to learn more about PrimeCare.

What is SpeedFusion Connect Protect?

SpeedFusion Connect Protect is Peplink’s global network of SpeedFusion endpoints. With an active CarePlan or SpeedFusion Connect Protect data plan, you can utilize SpeedFusion wherever you are, eliminating the need for additional hardware. Unsure of what you need? Check out this useful post.

Does the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 employ Peplink’s SpeedFusion technology or SpeedFusion VPN?

All Peplink products are capable of using SpeedFusion VPN. The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 supports SpeedFusion, Hot Failover, and WAN Smoothing. The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 requires the purchase of PrimeCare to support SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding.

What is SpeedFusion technology?

Peplink’s patented SpeedFusion technology is a powerful VPN tunnel equipped with a variety of technologies such as Hot Failover, WAN Smoothing, Bandwidth Bonding, and much more. This technology empowers users with the flexibility and tools required to achieve unbreakable connectivity in any vertical or scenario in which they might find themselves. Click here to learn more about SpeedFusion.

How can I purchase a license for SpeedFusion Connect Protect with higher traffic speed and additional usage?

It’s easy. Look here!

Using the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20

What size should the SIMs be?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 uses Nano-SIMs (4FF).

I see the unit has 2 SIM slots. Can they be used simultaneously?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 is a single LTE modem device with 2 SIM slots. You can load 2 SIMs and switch between them, but you can only use 1 at a time. Peplink has other products which have 2 or more active modems.

Can the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 use Band 71?

Yes. The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 can use Band 71. Band 71 is a band frequency provided by T-Mobile, it operates at a 600MHz frequency that travels twice as far, and it works 4 times better in buildings than conventional LTE bands. You can insert your T-Mobile SIM into any MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 cellular slot in order to use Band 71.

Is it possible to protect vehicle batteries from drainage by the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20?

Yes. The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 is equipped with a power port with ignition sensing that enables ignition-sensing features. Ignition sensing is an electronic device’s ability to connect to a vehicle’s ignition to sense when it is turned on or off. This feature can be used to synchronize and automate the process of turning on electronic devices in vehicles such as dash-cams and radios.

What voltage is required?

You can furnish the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 with a 10 - 30V DC 4-Pin Molex Micro-Fit connector.

What is its maximum power consumption?

The maximum power consumption is 19W.

How can I set up GPIO?

You can learn more about the GPIO setup from our Ignition Sensing Guide.

Does the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 employ WAN as LAN features?

Yes. The WAN port can be configured as a LAN port on the Web Admin.

What is a Captive Portal?

Captive Portal is a configuration under InControl 2. With Captive Portals, you can easily offer internet to your guests while controlling connection time and speed as well as data usage limits. By doing so, you can set up a social Wi-Fi hotspot to receive users’ valuable demographic data.

What is Edge Computing with Python? What is the advantage of Edge Computing?

Edge Computing is a distributed information technology architecture in which client data is processed at the periphery of the network, which in this case is the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20.
The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 is a one-box hosting solution. The applications and contents are hosted on the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 operating system. By hosting resources near the network edge, you can reduce latency and make applications more responsive.

Licenses and Accessories

How can I subscribe to the InControl2 service?

The MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 comes with a 1-year subscription to PrimeCare, which includes InControl2. PrimeCare can be extended 1 year for a nominal cost (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year).

Can it connect to an OpenVPN server from a commercial VPN provider (ExpressVPN, ProtonVPN, etc.)?

Yes. An optional license (LIC-OPN-WAN) will enable OpenVPN WAN functionality.

What if I need more than 2 SpeedFusion VPNs?

By default, the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20 has the capability for 2 SpeedFusion VPNs. You can expand this capability to 5 SpeedFusion VPN Peers with a PrimeCare subscription, which is complimentary for the first year. In order to increase the number of SpeedFusion VPN Peers to 5, a renewal of PrimeCare is required. PrimeCare can be extended beyond 1 year for a nominal cost (PrimeCare 1 Year | 2 Year | 4 Year).

Can I connect PrimeCare devices to my existing FusionHubs?

Yes. PrimeCare devices will not count towards the peer limit of any FusionHub to which it is connected. For example, a FusionHub 20 normally supports up to 20 peers, which is particularly useful for connecting numerous sites that require little bandwidth such as PoS terminals.

What can I do if I need support?

Does Peplink offer support for this product? What if I have difficulties setting it up?

Peplink Partners are always happy to provide support to their product users, so reach out to the place of purchase first.
For those who prefer self-service, Peplink has a very active forum. Among the regular forum users are Peplink Partners, Peplink employees, and many very knowledgeable users. Generally, people with questions get answers rather quickly. In the unlikely event of a suspected hardware or firmware issue, you can enter a support ticket with Peplink directly. You will then receive attention from some of our best engineers! Peplink supports its owners like no one else in the business.

I cannot access the Internet via the MAX BR1 Pro CAT-20, what can I do?

Visit this link (troubleshooting section) for a basic software walkthrough and troubleshooting guide. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us on our forum, and the team will get you online.