PoE output on Ethernet WAN

, , ,

Hello Peplink Team,
Several of the newer models (i.e. EPX, SDX, MDX) coming out from Peplink have the SD-WAN configurable “8x GE PoE Module” allowing you to define the ports as either WAN or LAN. In LAN mode we can utilise the PoE from the device, yet in WAN mode this is not offered, WHY? There are several products, such as the Pepwave Device Connector and other manufacturers of PtP Links that can be powered by PoE using the standards of 802.3af/at.

We are currently attempting to demo several of the three models where PoE on WAN would be beneficial. We are getting around this by using a Peplink SD-Switch and assigning a dedicated VLANs onto Paired ports (say 7&8, 5&6, 3&4), the odd # is being connected to the device’s router WAN port while the even # port connects to the WAN device (i.e. Device Connector & PtP Link).

Also missing from InControl2 is the visual port status and option to configure the ports of the “8x GE PoE Module” & the “4x SFP+ Module”, can we please see this feature added for all Peplink devices into InControl2 (relevant previous thread LAN port status and log messages)

This request relates to our previous post and the reply from @Lai

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We appreciate Marcus suggestion. Here is our deployment situation:
We think the SpeedfusionEngine in combination with the SIM-Injector is an excellent solution for deployments where you want to have small antenna cablerun. The SIM-Injector has PoE but i can not power my SFE with it, because it has no PoE-in.

Second Feature Request: SIM injector is a layer 2 device.If we need to use 4 SFE in marine installation and combine the uplinks (eg. on a balance router) of all SFE’s we need to have different VLAN’s on the SFEs. The SIM-Injector needs to be a layer 3 device, where i can setup VLAN’s on the different ports (just like Marcus suggestion). Please add SIM-banks into the sd-switches, make the “SIM-Switch” InControl-manageable. This would be a great evolution. Wherever possible, add PoE as a way to power mobile routers and enable PoE-out wherever possible.
Best regards
Theo

1 Like

Older post but…
There are clear needs to need POE on both LAN and WAN port of, for example, the Max Transit. POE on LAN is clear, i.e. cameras, aps, etc., but can easily be mitigated by a separate POE switch. POE on WAN is needed for various CPE devices requiring power over ethernet, e.g., outdoor cpe wifi routers needing power (Bullet, Metal, Groove, etc.). A switch isn’t easily used to mitigate this.
When you need BOTH, which I do, what is one to do?

2 Likes

Regarding PoE output of the EXM-8X expansion module, is it still the case that if the ports are used for WAN connections, PoE is not available? Or has this feature been added now?

Hello @simoncope,
If you upgrade to GA release of Firmware 8.1.1 for the SDX (not test by myself) & EPX (tested by myself), you can turn on PoE for the WAN ports allowing you to connect Pepwave MAX HD1 & HD2 Domes and also Pepwave Device Connectors. You could also connect PoE 802.3at/af compatable Point to Point links in.
Happy to Help,

3 Likes

Super, thank you Marcus. That’s exactly what I am planning - using multiple HD1 Domes connected back to an SDX. Am I right in thinking that the 8 x PoE LAN ports that are part of the base SDX can still only be used as LAN ports and not WAN? Therefore to get PoE WAN ports requires the addition of an EXM-8X?

Hi @simoncope
The 8 ethernet ports included on the base of the SDX or LAN only but if you are not using all of these, you can be smart and create isolated VLANs on two ports for each HD Dome and connect one LAN port to the WAN port and the other LAN port to the HD1 Dome.

Example
WAN 1 - LAN 1 - Isolated VLAN (Linking LAN 1 & 2) - LAN 2 (PoE enabled) - HD1 Dome

I know this trick has been done on a MBX.
Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi Sam,
I have an MBX and want my Mikrotik Metal to use WAN 1 - it needs POE. If I understand you correctly, I can create a VLAN between ports 7 and 8, plug my Mikrotik into 8 (POE enabled) and patch between 7 (POE off) and WAN1.
My Mikrotik uses 192.158.88.1 gateway. Does the IP address for the VLAN creation need to be in the same subdomain, or are these IP addresses completely unrelated?
Does it matter what IP address I use for the isolated VLAN? Of course I want all other devices, and WiFi AP, to have access to the Mikrotik.
Is this enough for setting up a new VLAN for this purpose?

Are these the right settings to associate the two ports for my need?

Thank you Sam!

You are right on this.

This matches what Sam was sharing in the example (recap below).

The WAN should leave it with VLAN unchecked.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I’ll give it a try.

Hi Sam,

I cannot access my CPE-WifiRanger device with the VLAN trick. It’s address is 192.168.88.1. When I have an external POE injector, the device shows on WAN 1 and connects fine at 192.168.88.1.

When I try to use POE on the MBX, and establish a VLAN between two LAN ports on my MBX, do I choose “Trunk” or “Access” Port Type?
Also, when I setup the VLAN in the LAN settings:

1. can I use any IP address? For example my LAN IP gateway address is 192.168.50.1. Can I use 192.168.51.1 as the IP address for the VLAN?
  2. Are these the correct settings for the new VLAN? VLAN ID 51 OK? Inter-VLAN Routing checked ON? Captive Portal NOT checked? NO DHCP server identified?

My Port Settings are as follows:

My CPE device (WifiRanger) is connected to LAN port 7. LAN Port 8 is connected to WAN Port 1.

Thank you!

Hello @joelbean,
Here are some suggestions for you. In your VLAN of “POE@WANPORT”:

• Turn off “Inter-VLAN routing”.
  • Change the IP setting to anything in a private Class A, B or C subnet that you will are unlikely ever to use (such as 192.168.251.1).

In the “Physical Interface Settings”, turn it off if you do not need “Jumbo Frame” for your network.

Everything else looks OK on the MBX side.

Next is the WAN connection device that you have.

Peplink MBX Devices are published as been 802.3at compatible (also known as PoE+ or PoE plus), with maximum power for the PoE port of 25.5 Watts. They are not published as been 802.3bt capable of higher power delivery (also known as PoE++ or 4PPoE) used on some equipment that requires higher power usage, such as WAN Links and PTZ Cameras.

If your WAN device has come with its own PoE injector, the WAN device may be using a standard that is not 802.3at compatible. This is very common on these sorts of devices. An easy way to check, if the WAN device works with the PoE injector the manufacture recommends and not with the PoE from the MBX, then it is not an 802.3at standard PoE injector.

An alternative we use is the Peplink SD-Switch 8 Port listed as 802.3at compatible. We have found that it can operate up to two devices requiring 802.3bt successfully when powered from either:

• two (2) DC Power supplies (the one shipped in the box plus a secondary identical supply)
  • the DC connector socket when supplied from a PepXIM SD-PMU (we have several deployments with this working).

Peplink’s team can confirm if there is a possible way to make your MBX 802.3bt compatible, though, at the cost of an MBX, our team are not willing to risk an MBX to find out. If the MBX cannot deliver the power required, you’ll need to use a separate suitable PoE injector for your WAN device.

Our team is experienced in many WAN technologies & brands (no name dropping here), especially with remote deployments; if you need further help, you are welcome to reach out to the community here or our team directly.

Note:
References to IEEE 802.3at-2009 are in Bold
References to IEEE 802.3bt-2018 are in Italics

Happy to Help,

1 Like