Pepwave MAX HD4 Mediafast

Hey all,

I have enabled my Mediafast Content Caching on my HD4. However, I don’t seem to see it work very well. I think there might be a setting that requires changing or a certificate installed.

I currently have 13 ipads, 9 APPTVs and who knows how many Iphones and android devices.

For now, the Apple updates aren’t working correctly. Content cached is the value on the left, Internet is on the right:

Am I missing anything? Do I need to instal certificates on every single device?
Also, I have tried to download the certificates for my devices, but the link doesn’t work. Is there another where I can download them?

I was trying it from here: Peplink MediaFast Certificate Installation Instructions for iMac / MacBook

Thank you in advance!
J

Hello @Jcol7884,
You will need to install the security certificate on all devices that will need to access the encrypted cached content. Apple’s updates (as most vendors now) come through secure sites and get encrypted. It is like accessing a banking website at https.
This challenge you are experiencing exists across all manufactures & suppliers of caching/buffering systems.

You can find a copy of the process to install the certificates for apple device here on this URL

You can also find other guides for the MediaFast certificates within the form at the URL of Peplink | Pepwave - Forum

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Marcus,

I am trying to access the certificates, but none work. Are you sure the links are good?

Thank you,
J

Hello @Jcol7884,
Based on our experience with the MediaFast, you need to be on the Native VLAN of the MediaFast with the device to install the certificates. This is VLAN 0 or VLAN 1 depending on your networking background, it is the primary subnet of the router, if the router is in factory default then is may be 192.168.1.1/24
The links in the knowledge base articles work when you have the device connected to the Native VLAN of the MediaFast, the Mediafast will automatically replace the cert.peplink.com with a redirect to the IP of the router and a web server within the MediaFast for the certificate.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Hey Marcus,

I currently have the HD4 connected to a Sophos UTC firewall. I guess the certificates should be installed on the Sophos then? The devices have no direct connection to the HD4.

Thank you for your replies :slight_smile: