Peplink balance one WAN shutdown

I have one balance one with Comcast Fiber Ethernet and every couple of days WAN goes down up - very frustrating since this is not Comcast problem. At the same time when connecting a laptop to temp switch, all is fine. I can confirm WAN ISP is ok. This is peplink issue. It happens randomly every a week, two weeks, sometimes a couple of days.

The warranty has just expired. That means almost $500 was sacrificed for nothing.

is there any known issue for balance one ? thank you

Can you share the screenshot of the event log (Status > Event Log) which shows that the WAN is down?

1 Like

screen shot attached

also:

192.168.168.60 1065
192.168.168.196 340
192.168.168.82 237
192.168.168.44 177
192.168.168.40 130

these are the sessions opened !!! 1065 there is NO virus on that client - its clean!!! It smells like firmware bug - not properly closing sessions and killing WAN (fiber) . I remember there was a bug in ASA 3 years ago doing same thing open sessions bug affecting ASA to kill WAN port. Well, warranty just expired a month ago so I cannot call support. Extending warranty does not make sense, but buying another balance one also is under question with full respect to peplink.

These people have a lots of tabs opened and it makes sense whats happening.

In ASA I could remote using cli and kill active sessions, here I dont know the trick and the only thing what I can do is restarting peplink and after that, all comes to normal. But doing that during business hours for a company which relies their business on internet connection is just so frustrating. I may consider another brand which may be a more stable. Since this is not cheap but in $500 there are some good choices.

I read that place in the rack it may be sensitive to some electric interference from other devices, so I place - relocated it on the top of the rack and zip tighted.

Please feel to be in my shoes. I look like an idiot in front of my boss. They upgraded link to fiber which costs almost $1000 for same problem as they had with regular bandwidth paying $280 and all points to peplink failing. We have WAN2 with some not perfect satelite backup, but using that is so painful since all goes down for minutes. We changed satellite to coax more stable and again same thing.

there are 40 devices and 100/100 speed so all is in proper requirements. I spend days installing prtg and syslog servers but for a sake I dont see anything wrong besides the message the WAN 1 goes down … The speed at the time of downtime or just before is about 40 - 50 MB so half of our bandwidth.

Any thoughts? And I know its not ISP issue.

For the issue of “WAN shutdown”, it is related to Balance One failed to ping the health check target. The health check tools is used to monitor the WAN status for WAN failover purpose. It is same when you issue a ping from your laptop to a target IP address then got the “Request timed out” (Balance One is showing “WAN failed PING test”). You may refer to the link below for further troubleshooting.

For the issue of client active session, 1065 sessions should be accepted. These are the sessions that generated by the client. You may go Status > Active Sessions > Search to check what sessions are generated by the client. You may need to take action to the client if the generated sessions are not legitimate.

1 Like

wow I never seen that post, the problem is it had happened before with Comcast coax ISP with Arris modem, and now happy with Comcast fiber where they use Juniper router. I can place managed Juniper switch in between, but I have feeling it’s not going to do anything.

Anyway - downloaded paesler webstress tool and did 4000 users requests -

yes - WAN 1 failed - WAN FAILED HTTPS TEST !!! bingo problem reproduced !!! At least it looks like

Should I place the managed switch between the ISP and Peplink ???

the only problem is there is already small 8 port UNMANAGED switch between Comcast fiber and peplink balance one:

Trendnet GREENnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Gigabit

should I then place managed one?

I dont know how these total sessions are counted but:

192.168.168.48 1676 total sessions when searched I have Total searched results: 61

and PC has only 8 google tab opened, checked its clean.

Any though

Once a while peplink balance one kills WAN1

Comcast Fiber: Disconnected (Health check failed)

even now - for last 35 minutes Peplink WAN was connected - disconnected - rebooting Peplink fixed problems for now.

I dont want to change firewall but looks like I have to start looking for another firewall brand since this is getting out of control.

Hello MST,

Have you placed the managed switch between the modem and the Peplink? If you have not yet done this, I would recommend doing that.

1 Like

ok, I will work on getting managed switches, but I have to know if I have to change “ping” from peplink to managed switch MGTM IP? I am talking about health check settings.

is there any other configuration I should do on the managed switch?

thank you

I would recommend setting up the ping to an IP address outside of your network. For any Health Checks that use IP addresses I would recommend using your ISP’s DNS IP as the primary record and something like Google, CloudFlare, Quad9, etc, as the second record.

1 Like

get it now, I thought it has to be the ping to managed switch MTGM IP, but if I can use 8.8.8.8 or 75.75.75.75 is just fine.

Thank you

i will be connecting managed switch this weekend and let you know. So far what I have noticed while WAN1 and WAN2 bounced like crazy - the only fix was to reboot the Peplink device.

I really hope managed switched fixes these problems in that place. They rely on outside connection and that is not stable.

Here is the story, after placing the Peplink balance one between the cisco managed switch the device shutdown several times. Always after rebooting it all comes to normal. When I bought the peplink for them almost a year ago it happened once a while and they decided to upgrade their ISP from coax - $250 per month to Fiber - $860 per month thinking its ISP issue. Now having fiber, the WAN shutdown happens almost every day. They rely on internet and make business using it. Trust me its frustrating for them not to have stable connection. Having internet down even for a couple minutes they lost thousands. Here the story begins. With all respect to Peplink - I sold them this product - they trust my judgement and now they hire other network company and yesterday they called me saying the other expertise said its faulty Peplink. The other company who troubleshoot that for them - called Peplink balance one a “toy” should be used at home not at enterprise. DO you know my feeling losing old customer ??? Do you ??? I have none business offering Peplink devices or Ubiquity or Cisco, or whatever. I have only headache.

Anyway, the other company offered MikroTik RB4011 for less price than I did with Peplink balance one and I will let you know in a coupe days how is the connection - if it drops or not- at least that client promised me to tell. What I did yesterday while meeting with them: I did my own test and after firing 1, 000 simulated google connection I killed the WAN 1 on peplink and then nightmare begins with connectivity. So I grabbed TP-Link for $49 which I have with me - setup static IP and viola after 1,000 simulated connection the Fiber connection was up and running with no issue.

So stop talking bowlshit its not peplink and blame ISP for connectivity. Its definitely peplink. When I read all of these in forum like peplink interference in the rack, or other stories I start thinking about stopping offering Peplink since this is second device causing me similar issue. Lucy me I installed only 8 of them and two actining similar (one with 70 devices) and one with only 5 devices - another customer. There are equivalent replacement in similar price or even less and better quality. I talked to other guy who installed MikroTik and they said they replaced several Businesses where Peplink was used with MikroTik and no issues were find after that. I have to look at these devices since they offer even more than Peplink for less price and final output - no headache with client.

I really like Peplink with its simplicity and other stuff but looks like quality of these product are in question mark, so time for changes. Like I promised I will update this post if they have similar issue with MikroTik which had been replaced yesterday with Peplink balance one by other tech.

I wish everybody better day than mine !!!

:smiley:i will be connecting managed switch this weekend and let you know. So far what I have noticed while WAN1 and WAN2 bounced like crazy - the only fix was to reboot the Peplink device.

I really hope managed switched fixes these problems in that place. They rely on outside connection and that is not stable.