PepLink Balance One DSL Bonding

Hi,

I have a Peplink Balance One with the latest firmware. I live out in the country and can only get 3 mbps down and 0.5 mbps up DSL. I added a second DSL line and had hoped to get a whopping 6 mbs performance. It seemed to work at first. I could see both DSL modems maxing out in the real time display. At some point it inexplicably quite working and it only seems to use one or the other. The “other” line is still active, but very low utilization. It also seems to be random as to which is being fully utilized. They are both set as up as always on.

Any ideas as to what to check?

Thanks,

John

Hi,

The Peplink Balance One does not support SpeedFusion Bonding out of the box.
SpeedFusion Bonding also requires you to build a VPN tunnel to a second Peplink end-point with an internet connection that is atleast as fast as the speed you’re trying to bond, in this case 6 Mbps.
This article might help understanding the SpeedFusion Bonding technology:

It might be that you’ve seen a 6 Mbps Speedtest.net result after adding your second DSL line.
If that’s the case, please read this post about why Speedtest.net is basically fooling you:

The Peplink Balance One does support loadbalancing out of the box however, so you could make an outbound loadbalancing rule with the Weighted Balance algorithm.
This way Peplink Balance will evenly distribute all traffic across your available WAN connections.
This does not bond the WAN connections, but rather uses them side by side.

1 Like

Thank you Joey.

I added the Weighted Balance outbound load balancing rule. That may prevent any divorce proceedings when both my wife and I are trying to use our computer at the same time.

I am disappointed that I won’t be able bond the two DSL lines to get that 6 Mbps download speed for Netflix as that is why I purchased the Balance One.

John

Hello John,

I can understand your disappointment.
Unfortunately, SpeedFusion Bonding will always require a VPN tunnel to a Peplink end-point.

Have you looked at the SpeedFusion technology page on the Peplink website or informed at a Peplink partner prior to your purchase?
It would be a shame if someone misinformed you and made you lose your wife.

1 Like