Outbound Policy with a "standby" WAN?

Hello we have a peplink MAX BR1 ENT.
We have a 20/20 hardline WAN and a 40/20 Cellular WAN.

The cellular WAN has pretty good download speeds and would like to utilize both WAN connections.

I noticed there is a “outbound policy” where it looks like I can do load balancing.

My question is this : The cellular says “standby”. Can cellular WAN be used in outbound policy if its a “standby” WAN?

How do I get it out of “standby” ? Can I just simply drag it up with “priority 1” and it be used along with the hardline?
Or do I checkmark “Independent from Backup WANs” ?

And also is there any con to not having it as a “standby” ? Slower failove etc?

Thanks!!

Hi Daniel,
welcome to the forum.
All WAN ports within the same priority are able to use loadbalancing algorithms.
Just drag wan 1 and cellular to priority 1
grafik
…and setup outbound policies for your traffic.
grafik

Theo

1 Like

Thanks!
So what does “Independent from Backup WANs” do different than dragging them both to the same priority?

Here is the answer: Independent From Backup WANs setting

1 Like

Hi @Daniel_Barnett,

few comments from Peplink side

Can cellular WAN be used in outbound policy if its a “standby” WAN?

Normally no. Using most policy algorithms no. But what if we define like this?
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 17.24.00
Here is an exception. With enforced policy cellular “Standby” can be used (tested FW 8.0.2 b1480).
But with “Cold Standby” there is a deadlock!

How do I get it out of “standby” ? Can I just simply drag it up with “priority 1” and it be used along with the hardline? Or do I checkmark “Independent from Backup WANs” ?

Both ways are acceptable. “Independent from Backup WANs” is the same as Priority 1 technically. The only difference that when independent WAN, then you cannot drag it anymore to a lower priority.

And also is there any con to not having it as a “standby” ? Slower failover etc?

Yes, there is a slower failover named as “Cold Standby”, when cellular stays disconnected until necessary.
Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 17.38.19

2 Likes

Question: If I had both Cellular and Hardline WAN set to priority 1. And used the “weighted balance” method. Cellular set to 10 and hardline wan set to 10. What would happen if one of the links died? Would it failover to the healthy link 100%? Or fail sessions half the time?

When one of the links dies, all sessions on that link would be terminated. All new sessions would be sent over the other healthy link until the failed link recovers at which point weighted load balancing would recommence.

1 Like