Odd Tmobile Wan 192.0.0.2

Hello, received a new Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5GN today and it seems to be working, but can’t seem to get it to display the correct tmobile ip. Everything comes up 192.0.0.2, 192.0.0.1 and 192.0.0.3. I’ve search for hours and I can’t find this being discussed or a resolution?

Best Regards,

Eric Weber

See here: Peplink | Pepwave - Forum

Hi Eric. Maybe a couple of words in addition to the sage words of @MartinLangmaid, above? So far as I know, this block is used for DS-LITE which is a method of sharing a single V4 address among V6 addresses via NAT and – in so far as I can see – is consistent with various IETF RFCs. See, for example, IANA IPv4 Special-Purpose Address Registry . Bottom line: You likely have a valid V4 address assigned by TMO. TMO will “talk to the internet” via IPv6 on your behalf. It is very common in such a situation to see the gateway address as just one digit greater than your assigned IP address.

Bottom line: I’d leave this issue and might spend some effort on improving signal metrics.

1 Like

Great to know, thank you so much!

As for signal metrics, I noticed I can’t get CA on anything that has 5g, so 5G-SA and 5G-NSA seem to lock into a band and not aggregate any other bands. Is this a known issue?

Edited the Cellular details to mask the sensitive information.

In all cases it’s the carrier rather than the modem that selects the bands in use and sets up CA. The cellular system does that within the bands available to the modem. In this case I’d focus on throughput rather than being too concerned about which band(s) the carrier has selected per se.

I’ll mention a case we are presently experiencing with TMO to illustrate: We have an particular installation using a 5G MAX Adapter. This is a very capable device that works well on 5G. However in the location where it is installed it flaps between 4G and 5G. We have it locked to 4G to avoid that. It’s not the modem – it’s the carrier. If moved to another location it works perfectly on 5G. Sometimes it is location that makes the difference.

Thanks again. I’m right on top of and being blasted by a n41 signal.

OK, good. TMO has a lot of spectrum at 2500MHz (B41) and, in general, it is much “faster” than B71 (600MHz.) In my view, the situation today is that the user must “play and explore” a bit if one is to optimize. This view is completely independent of considerations of your hardware – which I think is “best in class.” One must also remember that carriers do not have every band for which they are licensed in use at every location.

I’ll be interested ion following your progress.

• Rick
1 Like

you will need to use APN B2B.tmobile.com , or get a static ip, which can be troublesome, they have several add-ons and it’s hard to know which one works, insist it needs a “build out” to tech support, they have DCs in Seattle, Chicago, and Pennsylvania, choose the closest.

i will say, a static IP is not operable with 5g SA, only NSA. Also, I believe this is that same case for the apn i mentioned.

unless it’s a bleeding edge sierra x62 or x65 card (em9290 i think), you can’t CA 5g, you may observe an anchor band of 2 or 66 in my experience, and 1 5G band. a limitation of the chipset.

I was under the understanding that the new peplink unit MAX BR1 Pro 5GN witht x62 was bleeding edge?

Anyway, is it b2b.tmobile.com or b2b.t-mobile.com?

Oh, ok, I’m not up to date on their latest Then, there is NO dash In the apn