Newbie struggling with internet dropping

Another day and things are still stable for me.

1 Like

Wish I could say the same! I’m changing providers because I can’t work this way.

i think it just happened. speedfusion tunnel remained active. all other internet traffic ceased to work directly over the cellular link. cellular connection looked fine. nothing in event log. had to drag the cellular connection to disabled and back to priority 1 to get traffic flowing again. very strange.

We’re you using the 8.1 firmware that was just released?

one of the RC not final

@mystery,

You can try the below to isolate the issue :

1. You mentioned when the issue happen , SpeedFusion connection is not affected, you can test forward all traffics into the SpeedFusion tunnels instead of directly route via the Cellular WAN , this should able to bypass the issue.

2. Try to set the WAN health check using HTTP, this will able to trigger the WAN health check failed and the cellular connection will be reset like 5 minutes when WAN health check is failed. This should able to force the cellular WAN to reconnect (may need your help to confirm this)

The above just a temporary workaround until service provider fix the issue

1 Like

Thanks Sitloongs. This is happening at least daily now. Can you please do me a favor and check ticket # 20070808. I re-enabled remote access and uploaded the diagnostics report. I just would like you to confirm in my case this is a cellular carrier issue as others have described? Thank you!

@mystery

Sure , let me have a look.

1 Like

Rebooted 6 times so far in the last 36 hours.

[Pepwave MAX Transit Cat 18]
[Health Check - Disabled]
[Firmware: 8.1.0 build 4943]

@Fenster

This is not related to the device configuration issue. It’s more to service provider level not forwarding certain traffics types after sometimes.

Some of the users feedback the SpeedFusion Cloud can by pass the service provider issue as SpeedFusion traffics is not affected when the issue happen. We need all the users having the issue please contact AT & T to notify the issue and seek for the fix.

You mentioned [Health Check - Disabled] : Supposedly you should identify which type of the traffics is not able to forward when the issue happen and try to use the WAN health check tool to detect the failure and this should able to temporary workaround the issue until service provider end fix the issue.

1 Like

What Heath check should I use. Smart check does not work for me

Http - what setting should be used ?

Well, we’ve tried all of the alternatives at one time or another. We tend to use PING most often. It’s a light payload and is reasonably reliable. If you do that I would specify the target by numerical address, e.g., 8.8.4.4 [for Google’s secondary DNS] rather than google.com.

2 Likes

I think Peplink team was looking at adding HTTPS in addition to HTTP (since most websites are HTTPS) now.

y’all still having this problem? I am… any updates or work arounds?

I didn’t have much luck with the smart check, but it would fail if I set it to HTTP (not https) and to check some random websites like http://conservation.myspecies.info/ and http://weevil.info/

It didn’t seem to do anything other than report failure , maybe I didn’t wait long enough for whatever automated fix would happen. Pretty reliant on inet so I’d just end up rebooting

I did sign up for speedfusion but have not tried that yet.

Has anyone found an alternative to ATT?
We are using an unlimited grandfathered SIM. We use loads of data.

We tried the “unlimited” verizon grandfathered sims and got like 30kbps… very depriritized.

We honestly wouldn’t mind paying a little more but for the amount of data we use it would be like $15k a month for the “pay as you go” plans they offer.

I’ve been really happy with my unlimited AT&T data only SIM from https://unlimitedinter.net as I regularly have between 40mbps and 110mbps down and it hovers around 50ms latency.

I don’t think that would be any different than what we have now. The problem is ATT suddenly over the last 2-3 months went to crap and the link locks up after half a days use. And we have to restart the modems non stop to fix it. Trying to find an alternative company.

I hate to ask this on a pepwave forum… but does anyone else that has a different brand of LTE modem also have this issue at the moment?
We are thinking about buying a few other brands for testing. It’s getting to the point where it’s making IT dept look terrible having to restart a modem 4 times a day.

@Daniel_Barnett don’t bother with another device. I tried that and it did the same exact thing. This is an AT&T issue. I just ordered another sim and I’m going to try using the health check to failover when it goes down.

I’ve got a nice mofi I’m selling cheap now if your interested :joy: