Most Compatible Verizon Modem for SOHO MK3

This question has been answered here, but it’s amazing how things change so rapidly. I currently have a consumer account with Verizon and was considering buying a SOHO MK3 Router. Some of the discussions have good information, but most is a little dated. Before I purchase a modem and get into a contract, activation, etc. with VZW, I wanted to buy the modem that is most reliable. The support list for the SOHO does not currently show any Verizon modem that is currently on sale by Verizon. I don’t mind buying an older version from Amazon or Ebay, I just want the most painless one to setup, as well as what is most reliable. If anyone has suggestions for the BEST VZW modem for the SOHO MK3, please let me know.

This may sound facetious but I would propose that the best modem might be the MAX BR1 MK2. That way you can do without the SOHO :slight_smile:.

The principal rationale is that the consumer modems provided by the carriers quite frequently fail to deliver reliable 24/7 connectivity, and you avoid the pain of integrating a separate modem with the router (a pain amply documented in this forum).

Additionally, packaging the router with the modem strikes me as a more robust and tidy set-up, even if you have to add a small switch (if you need more than one wired LAN port).

The WiFi and other capabilities are different for the two (and that may be important), so your use case may lead to a different conclusion than ours does.

Just my $0.02

Cheers,

Z.

2 Likes

I’ll echo that. This forum is replete with similar questions/issues. The most straight-forward solution is to simply insert a VZW SIM into a robust product such as, for example, the BR1-Mini. Problem solved. Not a “cobbled-up” solution. Fewer “moving parts:” cables, support issues, connectivity questions, power supplies, etc.

I’ll stick with what I suggested here …

2 Likes

My 2 cents

If I had extra cash to kick around, I would for sure Go with the Max BR 1. The Netgear AC791L as been pretty good, but I would also like less moving parts.

1 Like

I have had issues with going the BR1 Mini route with Verizon. I originally purchased the BR1 Mini back in June 2019. When I went to the Verizon store to activate the SIM Card, multiple levels of Verizon tech support could not get the BR1 Mini to work with my “consumer” Verizon unlimited data account. They said it was because the BR1 Mini was a M2M unit. The best they could do was give me a limited data account (I think 5GB a month for $40/month. On the other hand, they said a consumer Verizon USB modem could be placed on my account for $20/month with unlimited data. So, I returned the BR1 Mini and bought the Surf SOHO with a Verizon USB620L modem off Amazon. The setup worked fine initially, but then I started having lockups after about 2 months. Eventually the lockups became more frequent (like every 2 weeks). I would have to power down the Surf SOHO, and then restart it. Last week I lost connection again. When I checked it out, the Verizon USB modem was dead.

Unfortunately, the only USB Modem that Verizon sells is the USB730L, which is not supported be Peplink. Are there any recommendations out there for a good USB modem that is compatible with Verizon SIM cards/cellular system? Ideally I would just like to swap out the SIM card without going back to the Verizon Store.

[Update: Bad news. I dropped a Verizon SIM card from a smartphone into the BR1. It did not connect (stuck in getting IP address mode).

Then Verizon sent me an email

Someone on your account has switched from the IPHONE to the Pepwave by moving SIM cards. This change, however, will not work because the SIM is on an unlimited plan and incompatible with Pepwave. We recommend replacing the SIM in the original or other compatible device.

]

[Update #2: Things may be complicated. We dropped another Verizon SIM card into the BR1, and this time it connected just fine. The latter SIM card is from a tablet and has already wandered from device to device. The former (which did not work) was purchased with the smartphone - thus it may be on a tighter leash w.r.t. Verizon’s expectations as to where it is appropriate.]

FWIW: We have some BR1 LTEs chomping away on regular consumer Verizon SIM cards. Verizon reports the devices as “Pepwave - MAX LTE”, so there is no confusion in that regard.

So - you may want to swap the mini for a BR1 classic. Or give me a few days and I can try a Verizon card in a mini in our lab.

Or activate the card with another device, then move it to the mini (and see whether that works).

Or provide Peplink with the IMEI of the mini and ask them to upload it to Verizon (there are glitches occasionally).

Cheers,

Z

2 Likes

Hello and Good Day
We use the Netgear AC791L modem from Verizon. It’s tethered to the Surf soho MK3 and has been pretty good overall. You should be able to purchase one online.