Verizon 8800L compatibility with the Pepwave Surf Soho MK3 Router

Hi,
I am new here… And was wondering if the Peplink SUS-SOHO-T Pepwave Surf Soho MK3 Router is compatible with Verizons new 8800L Jetpack? I live in a remote area and am trying to get off satellite internet and use Verizons new unlimited data pre paid plan via the 8800L and then tethered to the SoHo Mk3 via USB cable… At the moment I am using a Netgear WiFi extender EX6100v2 to grab the WiFi from the 8800L and convert it to a ethernet cable and then route it to my various devices and cabins… I have gone to Peplinks site of compatible devices and I don’t see the new 8800L there? Any advice?
Thanks again…

I have similar situation that might help answer your question. My hotspot is the Verizon Jetpack 6620L, which I use as a USB WAN source plugged into my Surf SOHO MK3. It works reasonably well, though the 6620L is old and slow. Do not be tempted if that thought crosses your mind.

I theorize that the Jetpack 8800L will work similarly on the USB WAN and should work as a WiFi WAN too. If I get my own 8800L, I will try to update this thread with my findings.

2 Likes

Just to add my 2 cents.

I have the Netgear AC791L hotspot with Verizon. I had been tethered to soho mk3 for awhile, worked pretty good. I noticed that the AC791L is 2.0 usb, and so is the soho mk3. So I connected the soho mk3 to AC791L via WiFi wan. I tested both ways, and I get better results from the WiFi wan over tethered wan.

2 Likes

When I was a kid my mother cautioned me about “answering questions not asked.” Well, I hope you’re not offended if I violate that rule. :smirk: Here’s what I’d do: The SOHO is an excellent product (and we have several in use), but I’d first take a look at a dedicated, “non-cobbled-up” solution – https://www.peplink.com/products/max-cellular-router/single-cellular/#br1. When one takes such an approach there are fewer devices to “talk” to each other and fail. And, less “clunky.” More importantly, the Pepwave devices such as you see on the referenced data sheet are made to do cellular – external antenna jacks (you’ll see far better coverage/range/speeds), and you’ll have vastly more “control” over how the 4G “behaves.” They can also hold one or more SIMs. Just take the SIM and stick it into the Pepwave box and place the Jetpack on a shelf somewhere. If I could not place a satisfactorily-working 4G dongle directly into the USB port of a SOHO I’d opt for a BR1 every time.

(I hope my mom is not mad at me for saying all of this … :slightly_smiling_face:)

5 Likes

Hi all… So I have it working… A VZW 8880L connected to the Peplink SoHo via the usb cable then it runs to both my house and my workshop via ethernet cables out of the Peplink… all is working fine… here is my next hurdle or problem to solve… I have apple laptop computers and used to use a software ap called “screens 4” & “screens connect” it allows my to do “screen sharing” of my apple computer remotely when I am not home… and usually I can set up the router with UPnP and it works… sometimes I have had to configure port forwarding on a router… but I am unable to make it work with the 8880L going into the Peplink? any thoughts or suggestions? I am able to configure it so it works through the wifi of the 8880L but not after I go through the Peplink?

Hello and Good Day
You may have to do port forwarding on the 8800L. It should be able to do port forwarding.Look in its settings.

Here ya go.

Where you able to get good speeds with the 8800L connected via the USB cable? I go from 97Mbps download to 18Mbps when tethering.

Can I ask what settings were used to connect your 8800L to your Peplink router via USB? Can’t get mine to connect for the life of me, just says connecting nonstop, any pointers would be most helpful, thanks!

Just upgraded to the 8800L from an AC791L on my SOHO MK3 and works fine. Make sure USB is set to tether and not charge only.

Does not seem to get full speed through USB though as Messer said, seems to cap out at 20 Mbps while getting close to 40 Mbps directly attached to its WiFi from laptop although upload still hits about 40 MBps. Still need to try WiFi wan through Soho and see if thats better.

Wonder if the Soho has some limit on usb throughput?

Hi peterjkim.

Sounds like you are using a non data cable or charging cable? Although it comes with a USB C data cable according to Verizon support. Try a different cable if you have one?

:speaking_head:Hope that helps!

Additional Info…

If you can click WAN>Details for the USB tethered connection, see if you can force the Port Speed to 100Mbps. You could also try setting the MTU speed to auto.

The 8800L also has some kind of built in VPN - you could try disabling that as well as that would probably slow it down.

1 Like

Not sure where you are seeing those kind of wan details, looks like Ethernet, my 8800L WAN details looks like this:

I did lower the MTU after doing some ping checks to find out it was 1428 which is pretty standard on LTE I guess. Didn’t help…

Hi jharrel

I wasn’t sure if WAN>Details for the USB had that setting. Sorry about that!

SOHO is definitely download limited through USB on the 8800L. I did some more testing today, 8800L direct USB to my laptop was getting 40 Mbps, WiFi direct from laptop 40Mbps, 5GHz WiFi Wan through the SOHO 40Mbps, USB through SOHO 20 Mbps. This is download at same location done multiple times through speedtest.net

Upload doesn’t seem to be effected by USB through the SOHO hitting nearly 40Mbps like all the other connections, of course I would rather have slower upload than download,very unfortunate, seems like a software issue in the SOHO since USB2 should be physically 400Mbps and the SOHO can obviously handle the full jetpack speed through WIFi WAN.

When you USB tether your laptop to the 8800L the carriers know this and don’t have a problem with it because it is a single device (single user).

When you USB tether a router to the 8800L they also know this but now they care. A router by nature is designed to share internet access with multiple devices (multiple users).

I suspect their decision to do this is revenue related. I’m sure the carrier would prefer that each of the users paid for their own connection rather than sharing a single one.

Your Wi-Fi as WAN connection is fine because your carrier is not (yet) checking the MAC addresses of the wireless devices connecting to the 8800L. If and when they do you will notice the same type of behavior.

They are also not too worried about the upload speed as 90% of internet traffic is all on the download side, they have a ton of upload bandwidth that sits idle.

A USB port being limited in only one direction doesn’t make sense from a hardware perspective.

Thanks to good customers like you we are able to spot this type of carrier behavior and share it with the rest of the community!

Thanks

2 Likes

Not sure how they could do something with the mac address since its the same between the SOHO and the MacBook, I just checked its a Novatel Wireless mac. Which makes sense as the the mac is provided by the jetpack over USB since it is the network adapter.

I have heard them using TTL to detect but the TTL will be 1 off through Wifi wan or USB, I thought you guys added something to change TTL to combat this but can’t find it anywhere.

I guess they could use some USB ID to detect, but have never heard of that and the SOHO is just a linux or BSD box right, would they be just capping on Linux and not Windows and Mac somehow through USB negotiation somehow? Will continue to run more test in more locations, I guess would need to run it through another vendors router to convince you guys to look further at the SOHO’s USB performance.

1 Like

Tried a few different USB C cables, including the one the modem came with, they all provide data when I connect to my computer directly. I’m using a Peplink Balance One Core, not a Suff Soho MK3 but I’m under the assumption it supports the same set of USB modems, still no luck. Anything else I should try?

Hi peterjkim

I have been researching this as I would like to get a USB modem. It’s not looking good.

From what I have seen and read the 8800L does not like to connect to Linux boxes - which a lot of the pro level routers are. But will always connect to WINDOWS no problem. How can you get around this? I didn’t see anyone in any forums that I checked come up with a solution (other than here higher up in the thread) - other than sometimes 8800L firmware upgrades fixed it. So I don’t think you can get the 8800L to USB tether to the router at the maximum rated download speeds claimed - that would be up to the modem manufacturer to fix on their end. Perhaps if enough customers kindly bring it to their attention they will address it.

There are a few work arounds you can try though - no guarantees, I have not done this myself - just throwing it out there:

1. Try changing the IP address (and range) of the Untagged LAN in the Balance One Core to something other than the typical DHCP 192.168.0.1 addresses. On the SURF you would navigate to Network>Network Settings>Untagged LAN. The idea is that if the modem is blocking standard DHCP router adresses (ie. 192.168.xx.xx, 10.10.xx.xx., 172.xx.xx.xx) then changing this could help get around it. Before doing so make a config save and write down the new address as you will need it to navigate to your admin page. Test to see if this “fools” the 8800L.

2. MAC Address Clone. Try changing the MAC address of the Balance One Core (if it has this feature) - on the SURF this is under the WAN details of a non USB WAN connection. Again the idea is that if the modem is blocking MACs of router manufacturers then this could help get around it. Try cloning your laptops address - but change the last few numbers so its not an exact copy. Test to see if this “fools” the 8800L.

1. Try ordering a “USB C to ethernet adapter” off of Amazon (~$20). Probably won’t work. But you can just return it for a full refund. Even if it does work - is it secure? Alot of cheap products like this aren’t. Test to see if this “fools” the 8800L.

:speaking_head:Hope that helps!

1 Like

peterjkim,

I mentioned this before, did you make sure the USB mode was set to internet access and not just charging (which is the default I believe).

Its under device preferences:

Hello and Good Day to All

Is it possible that it’s just the USB 2.0? Most devices are USB 3.0 nowadays.
On the Surf soho it’s USB 2.0

USB 2.0 is still 480 Mbps which should easily handle the throughput, the SOHO itself can only route at 120 Mbps.

1 Like