MAX-BR1-LTE-US-T dual SIMs

Is there some way to get these routers to fault over to the SIM card in the B slot when crossing an international border? I’d like to set one up to default to the second SIM, which would be for a different carrier when crossing a border, so that I don’t get hit with a big fee. I would like this to happen without having to manually change settings after initial set up, manually removing one of the SIMs or expecting an end user to touch anything. Would there possibly be a way to do this using the GPS antenna included? It would be crossing the border from the US to Canada and then coming back from Canada to the US. Thanks and sorry if this has been covered. I searched and didn’t find anything.

By default, when you have redundant SIM cards inserted into the BR1, both SIM cards will work as the backup SIM for each other. BR1 will try to connect using SIM slot A/SIM slot B for the cellular connections until 1 of the connection is established . For more information regarding to the available settings, please refer to the attached screenshot.

What you need to do is to make sure roaming is not enabled for both SIM slot and this should make sure US SIM card only will connect to US carrier and Canada SIM card only will connect to Canada carrier. This should meet your requirement when you crossover between US and Canada.

The problem with that is that when these routers are traveling through many parts of the US, card A would go to roaming because they are out in the middle of nowhere. This setting would cause the router to fault to card B within the US and completely loose connectivity whenever they were roaming on the card A network. Roaming within the US on card A is acceptable, but staying on card A when leaving the US is not. Is there a solution to this?

I wonder if you could put both SIMs on roaming but limit the bands that SIM A uses to those that are Domestic to the US. Then maybe if you’re lucky the bands used outside will be different so SIM B will kick in?

Otherwise I can’t think of anything that can do this currently. You almost want to have a geofence set for the US in Incontrol that disabled SIM A when you leave… maybe the InControl team can add it to their list.

Or perhaps we could ask engineering to consider adding a country code lock to a SIM card slot, so that SIM A would only connect to a MCC for the US (310-313 + 316) even when set to roaming…

Thanks, sitloongs and MartinLangmaid for the help. I’m new to these routers, and their capabilities, so any input is really helpful. I’ve been reading all the posts on these routers to learn as much as I can. They seem pretty straight forward. I have a few hooked up and have been playing around with them, but are there any data sheets on these routers or any in depth material I could absorb to better familiarize myself with this particular product and their capabilities? Thanks again!

You can always read the manual http://download.peplink.com/manual/Pepwave_MAX_user_manual_v6.1.pdf
The device specs are on the Peplink website, and otherwise you can take advantage of this community forum full of helpful Peplinkers (a ridiculous collective noun but I can’t think of a better one yet…) :slight_smile: