Limit download throughput per WAN

I don’t seem to be able to find a way to throttle bandwidth per wan on a balance one core, unless I’m missing something?
The situation I’m in has 4x wan connections in use.
I need to stop anything more than 5Mbps being downloaded per wan, otherwise the latency shoots through the roof as the adsl connections all struggle to cope.

Hi @B4BJonathan,

There is an option on each WAN to limit the upload and download, by clicking on the “Details” button next to eah WAN - please see below:-

Hope this helps,

Steve

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I was under the opinion that was just being used for capacity policy’s.
I didn’t think that actually worked to throttle the connection.
I had originally hoped it would however.
Please see the following screenshots for wan settings and bandwidth usage as an example on a balance one core running FW 7.1.0 build 3433.

@B4BJonathan, please use Individual Bandwidth Limit (Network > Bandwidth Control).

1 Like

Hi @TK_Liew,
Many thanks for your reply.
Individual bandwidth control is described as follows in the help section.
You can define a maximum download speed (over all WAN connections) and upload speed (for each WAN connection) that each individual Staff and Guest member can consume. No limit can be imposed on individual Manager members.

However I’m looking for download limits per wan rather than across all wans.

Is this something you think you’ll add in a future release?

I moved your posts to feature request for the team to take consideration.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Team,
Has there been any development or an ETA for this feature? We’d like to add that in addition to wired connections, a feature allowing users to limit throughput on cellular connections could be very beneficial. It could allow network managers to limit cellular overages while still allowing traffic at limited rates. Something like the following could be extremely useful.

1 Like

@Topher, your request has been filed, Engineering team will review it.

Thanks.

1 Like

I think I had a similar request …

The upload is throttled to the WAN bandwidth setting when Mitigate Bufferbloat is enabled. Mitigate Bufferbloat is the fq_codel algorithm. When version 9 is released by Peplink, Mitigate Bufferbloat may be fully implemented for both upload and download (download proved too CPU expensive in a beta release a couple of years ago).

My fingers are crossed that it will show up in the beta for version 9. If so, I will be jumping on that immediately to test. In many people’s opinion, fq_codel (or Cake) is the best way to manage WAN bandwidth for reducing bufferbloat so that latency is low for all tcp/ip connections.

1 Like

here are the similar requests i logged:

and

https://forum.peplink.com/t/Ability-to-throttle-certain-devicesgroups-when-on-backup-WAN/61d46444165b2d89c31c18ff/