L2TP connection attempt failed

I am using the peplink 305 and have an L2TP setup. When I try to connect from my Windows 10 laptop, sometimes it works and sometimes I get this error:

“The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during the initial negotiations with the remote computer.”

The only thing I can do it wait 10 minutes and try again. I have setup multiple users and when things fiail it fails for every user.

This is a major issue as this controlls access to the entire network.

Is this the correct place to ask this? How do I ask for support?

Can I confirm you have more than one L2TP/IPSec clients try to connect to Balance 305 from the same location? For instance, there is 3 x L2TP/IPSec clients try to connect to Balance 305 from branch A.

1 Like

Actually, I am the only one trying to connect. I am on my laptop in at home or hotel. This is not isolated only me. Another person does the exact same as me as the same problem.

You may perform troubleshooting steps below.

1. Check your laptop public IP address. You can user WhatIsMyIP to identify that information.
  2. Start the Network Capture at http://<LAN IP>/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi.
  3. Initiate the L2TP/IPSec until you see the connection attempt fails.
  4. Stop and download the Network Capture.
  5. Extract and open the WAN pcap file with Wireshark.
  6. Filter the pcap file with your public IP obtain from (1) to confirm whether L2TP/IPSec connection hits the WAN interface.

If the L2TP/IPSec connection hits the WAN interface, please open ticket and turn on Remote Assistance for us to take a closer look. Else, the packet is dropped somewhere before reaching WAN interface of Balance 305. You may need to check with your ISP.

2 Likes

I do not know how to Start Network Capture.

I doubt this is an ISP issue. When this happens, I will be using Comcast, my usually ISP. I will then disconnect from Comcast and use my neighbor’s wireless router who is using another ISP. The trace routes to Peplink router are 100% different… different fiber… different everything.

Also my coworker who lives in New York (I am in Florida) also sees the same error message. He is not using Comcast. We both establish L2TP connections and work remotely. Sometimes I am connected 8 hours a day and do not see the error. Sometimes I see the error a few times a day.

Additionally, restarting Windows does not help.

I did open Ticket #8201.